Registration Questions for Multi-Drivers

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Steve Bunnell
Car#: 701

Registration Questions for Multi-Drivers

Post by Steve Bunnell »

Hi all! I'm looking for a little help, as the FAQ isn't quite giving me the clarity I need.

Ok, first question! Looks like I can purchase the Sunday Entry with 4 Extra Runs. Further down the page it reads that the “X-Runs” are sold out and I’ll be placed on the waitlist for those. I’m assuming these “X-runs” are the 4 Extra Runs that I’m purchasing, but maybe they aren’t. Are they 4 additional runs after the 8 runs? Can you please clear this up for me?

Second questions! I would like to bring my wife with me to introduce her to the fun! Do we need to register her an account of her own and register her for the event also?
I read in the FAQ that Saturday we can register as Split entry, which I believe means that we can share the same car and split our runs between the two of us. I don’t see this option for the Sunday registration.
Can she and I share our 8 runs as a multi-driver on Sunday events or is this limited to Saturdays only? If we can share runs as a multi-driver, does she still need her own account?

Last questions! I probably ran 6 or 7 events in 2012. The FAQ says I have to run 3 events or less to be in the Novice class. I don’t particularly care what class I’m in, as I just want to drive and have fun, but I am interested in driving with a Novice Instructor to instruct me on all the tips I have forgotten since nine years ago. Can anyone drive with a novice instructor? Also, can I run in the novice class if I haven’t run in an event in 9 years and have 6 or 7 events that first year?

Ok! I can ask all my other questions at the track, but I just need these cleared up so I know how to best register my wife and I for the event. Can’t wait to be back driving amongst the orange cones again!
--
2020 Miata ND RF, Flyin' Miata Sway Bars, Livin' the Dream
Reed Gibson
Current CSCC Overall Champion
Club: SCNAX

Re: Registration Questions for Multi-Drivers

Post by Reed Gibson »

The Sunday Entry w/ 4 Extra (X) Runs is the package that gives you 4 extra runs after your 4 competition runs. If X-Runs are sold out you can still purchase this package and be placed on the waitlist. In the event nobody with the X-run package drops out of the event your entry will be converted to the standard Sunday Entry.

Saturday Split entries indeed allow you to split your Saturday entry (~12-16 runs) between two drivers and they can be split however you like (one registration sticker is given for the car). This is not an option for Sunday's competition, your co-driver would need to register individually.

Anyone can get help from a novice instructor. We currently are not doing ride-alongs but on Sunday's we have a designated person who will be available to answer any questions/provide remote coaching. On Saturday's you can always just look for someone in a Cal Club shirt for help, we are a friendly bunch and most people will be more than happy to give you tips and tricks.

Lastly, if you have been out of the game for a while you are eligible to run in the Novice index. This will take your indexed time and place it in a class with the other Novice drivers.

Please don't hesitate to ask any other questions, this coming event would be a great time to come out as attendance will likely be on the lighter side due to a scheduling conflict with the SCCA National Tour event in Vegas.
Steve Bunnell

Post by Steve Bunnell »

Reed! You are the best! Thanks for all this clarification. We're going to sign up for Sunday! Very excited! Something I always tell my wife is how nice I remember everyone being at these events.

I think last question: I understand that there are no ride alongs with instructors because of COVID. Is it okay if my wife and I ride with each other? I think this will be helpful, being that it's her first time. From what I've read, this may disqualify us from our times, but can we still do all our runs anyway?

I'll sign us up tonight to attend! Thanks again Reed!
--
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Steve Bunnell wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:22 am Reed! You are the best! Thanks for all this clarification. We're going to sign up for Sunday! Very excited! Something I always tell my wife is how nice I remember everyone being at these events.

I think last question: I understand that there are no ride alongs with instructors because of COVID. Is it okay if my wife and I ride with each other? I think this will be helpful, being that it's her first time. From what I've read, this may disqualify us from our times, but can we still do all our runs anyway?

I'll sign us up tonight to attend! Thanks again Reed!
Yes, we do now allow ride alongs with family or others you live with, or if you have a regular co-driver (if you both agree). Technically on Sunday, you're not supposed to ride if you have not completed your class runs, but you could take your runs, then be your wife's instructor, including driving 1 instructor run which does not count as one of her runs, then ride and coach her.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Steve Bunnell

Post by Steve Bunnell »

Thanks for the info, Rick! I would like to be in the car for her first run or two, so that she can feel comfortable navigating the cones. We're watching some YouTube videos on the rules of autocross and going through the rule book together so she knows what to expect when we get out there on Sunday. I'll see about taking my runs first, like you recommend, and then ride and instruct her for a run or two, if she wants some initial instruction. Thanks for the heads up on the instructor run. This might be all she needs to feel comfortable.
--
Randy Gonzalez
Current Solo Director
Club: CASOC
Car#: 436

Post by Randy Gonzalez »

Hey Steve,

We have a complete program for our Novice drivers that would be of benefit to your wife (and you if you're new to our club). We'll have a guided Novice Course Walk, starting about 1 hour before first car out. The Novice Walk will be hosted by Stephen Yeoh and he'll cover all the basics of how we operate, safety, the rules for navigating the pointer cones, etc.....and of course he'll be sharing all the "pro" tips to help you go faster! That Novice course walk will feed directly into our Driver's Meeting (hosted by Bijan...our Safety Steward for the day)...the Driver's Meeting will cover safety and more operational stuff....just so you know what's allowed and not allowed when running with us (i.e. no tire warming, 5 mph in the pits, no smoking in grid, locations of fire extinguishers, etc.). The driver's meeting will also have some instruction on how to work course (hosted by Neelu....our Worker Chief for the day). Neelu will cover running for the cones, proper use of the red flags, etc.....and also SAFETY (there's nothing we're doing out here that's worth risking your safety).

We also have a new program for first timers that happens when you tech your car. We have a little YouTube video that we'd like all first timers to watch....just a quick overview of what we're doing out here. The Tech team won't give you your tech sticker till you've watched that video (just on your phone) and sign an acknowledgement. I know it sounds like a lot, but it's all really easy. Our primary concern is SAFETY for everybody....if we educate you your first time out, we have a safe event for everybody! :thumbup:

Make sure you're there early and allow plenty of time to attend the Novice walk, tech the car, driver's meeting, check in.....you'll have plenty to do when you get there....be early!

Beyond all that....we're are a very friendly/helpful bunch.....everybody will be happy to help you and your wife jump in with our club. If you have any questions or concerns, don't hesitate to ask...our staff is here to help and they are all great people that love what we do! And just ask folks where to go next, we'll keep you pointed in the right direction.

See you out there!
SCCA Certifications: Solo Safety Steward, Flagging and Communications
http://CorvetteNews.com/
V_Miyagi
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 204

Post by V_Miyagi »

Reed & Randy - this is all great info.
Is there an update coming to the "Newcomers" section or the "Novice Guide"?
Related, I didn't happen to find the link to the video mentioned. Is it the TireRack https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXZP1zEERwA one?
Sorry to turn this into a new newbs thread. Looking forward to first event on the 11th. Steve - See you in NOV class!
~Brian
Randy Gonzalez
Current Solo Director
Club: CASOC
Car#: 436

Post by Randy Gonzalez »

SCCA Certifications: Solo Safety Steward, Flagging and Communications
http://CorvetteNews.com/
Steve Bunnell

Post by Steve Bunnell »

Hey guys!

Thanks for all the great information! My biggest take-away from when I participated in a few events in 2012 was how friendly and inclusive everyone was at the track. I've been telling my wife how there are people of all ages at the Cal Club events. It's a fun, family sport with camping chairs and home made sandwiches! Great that you have a safety video now at the events that explains how to work and be safe. Thanks for forwarding the YouTube video!

We will definitely be there early to get settled in and ready for the Novice walk and all that follows. Can wait to see you all out there! We will see you in NOV class, V_Miyagi! Just registered tonight!
--