Gate Workers Needed for Sept. 24-25 Event

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Ed Holley
Club: CASOC
Car#: 912

Post by Ed Holley »

Our Morning and Lunch Slots are Filled. Thanks to those that Volunteered.

Saturday Practice (FILLED)
6:30-8 a.m.: Kyle O'Rourke
7-8:30 a.m.: Sean Fenstermacher
7:30-flag drop: Davin Swanson
Lunch: Arthur Grant

Sunday Champ Event (FILLED)
6:30-8 a.m.: Webster Jessup
7-8:30 a.m.: Arthur Grant
7:30-flag drop: Davin Swanson
Lunch: James Yom
Thanks for stepping up and contributing to a successful event!

Ed
Last edited by Ed Holley on Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:27 pm, edited 14 times in total.
2012 ES Regional Champion
2001 NB Miata
Kyle O'Rourke
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 860

Re: Gate Workers Needed for Sept. 24-25 Event

Post by Kyle O'Rourke »

I haven't done gate before but I can volunteer for Saturday.
James Yom
Current Solo Director
Car#: 28

Post by James Yom »

I can work the lunch on sunday.
Sean Fenstermacher
Car#: 81

Post by Sean Fenstermacher »

If you need another gate worker for Saturday, sign me up!
Kai Hur
Car#: 114

Post by Kai Hur »

Ed Holley wrote:... You must also be an SCCA member (no weekend memberships)...
i'll be purchasing a weekend membership, so i guess i don't qualify. do you have to be scca member to do tech? i'm still in physical rehab for my knee. i can jog, but not run. so chasing after cones is a no-go.
Ed Holley

Post by Ed Holley »

Thanks to those that have stepped up so far. I will definitely be in touch. I'm kind of waiting until PRACTICE registration is underway to make sure that those volunteering for Saturday will actually be in the "show". Unless of course you want to work Saturday even if you don't make the PRACTICE LIST. :lol:

If you are stepping up for Sunday (James), I'll be plugging you in shortly for the time you are offering. And I'll be contacting you to confirm, etc.

Thanks.

Ed
2001 NB Miata
Ed Holley

Post by Ed Holley »

Kai Hur wrote:
Ed Holley wrote:... You must also be an SCCA member (no weekend memberships)...
i'll be purchasing a weekend membership, so i guess i don't qualify. do you have to be scca member to do tech? i'm still in physical rehab for my knee. i can jog, but not run. so chasing after cones is a no-go.
Kai: Thanks for stepping forward (no pun intended). I certainly know the feeling. During the past 18 months, I have had full knee replacements on both legs. One 6 months ago. Unfortunately, for insurance reasons, SCCA requires that workers for this position be full-on card-carrying (annual) members. If you have some weekend membership "credits", maybe this is a good time to purchase an annual membership. :thumbup:
2001 NB Miata
Ed Holley

Re: URGENT! Gate Workers Needed for Sept. 24-25 Event

Post by Ed Holley »

Still looking to fill some spots with committed people. We need to do this to put on the event.

Thanks.

Ed
2001 NB Miata
Davin Swanson
Car#: 979

Post by Davin Swanson »

This will be my first event ever, so I will need to be told what to do, but I'll volunteer. I do have a full SCCA membership. I'm running SK2, which is in the afternoon, and from what I understand there will be a novice meeting/course walk at lunch in addition to the morning one? If that's correct, then I can work any of the morning shifts. I'm planning on coming to the practice (assuming I get in), so feel free to slot me both days. I'd prefer the 7:30 slot to the 6:30 one.
Ed Holley

Post by Ed Holley »

Davin Swanson wrote:I'm planning on coming to the practice (assuming I get in), so feel free to slot me both days. I'd prefer the 7:30 slot to the 6:30 one.
Davin: I'm sending you an email. Thanks for stepping up.
2001 NB Miata
Arthur Grant
Club: TCC
Car#: 314

Post by Arthur Grant »

Ed, I'll take the lunch shift for practice on Saturday and the 7-8:30am shift on Sunday if that works for you.
Ed Holley

Post by Ed Holley »

Arthur Grant wrote:Ed, I'll take the lunch shift for practice on Saturday and the 7-8:30am shift on Sunday if that works for you.
Thanks Arthur for your generosity. As I replied to your email, I'm hoping to get additional volunteers so that folks don't have to work double assignments.

COME ON DUDES AND DUDETTES!! WE ONLY NEED TO FILL A FEW MORE SLOTS.
2001 NB Miata
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

A shift for Saturday and a shift for Sunday isn't a double work shift. They are separate days with separate work requirements.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Ed Holley

Post by Ed Holley »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:A shift for Saturday and a shift for Sunday isn't a double work shift. They are separate days with separate work requirements.
You are correct. Thank you. Nevertheless, I'm attempting to get "new blood" into the spirit of volunteerism. ;)

So....what slot might I put you down for? :D

Ed
2001 NB Miata
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

I'm actually quite negative on the early push for gate volunteers. Its a mistake we make too often. The gate job is best left to older participants or those with handicaps that prevent them from working course. But often the older ones aren't online as often and by the time they check on event details, those spots are grabbed by young energetic flat bellies that are better suited to course working. Other than the 6:30 shift, they are usually quite easy to fill.

Sorry to be negative. I am thrilled that you and some of the others on this event thread are eager to jump into core worker roles. That is fantastic!

Our family won't be able to do the practice or one of us would be looking to grab a gate slot for the practice, it makes the days schedule work out much better when you're trying to cram in car adjustments and work with the kid karts. On Sunday the timing doesn't work out unfortunately, as we have too much setup work in the morning and have to prep the FJr's at lunch.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Ed Holley

Post by Ed Holley »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:I'm actually quite negative on the early push for gate volunteers. Its a mistake we make too often. The gate job is best left to older participants or those with handicaps that prevent them from working course. But often the older ones aren't online as often and by the time they check on event details, those spots are grabbed by young energetic flat bellies that are better suited to course working. Other than the 6:30 shift, they are usually quite easy to fill.

Sorry to be negative. I am thrilled that you and some of the others on this event thread are eager to jump into core worker roles. That is fantastic!

Our family won't be able to do the practice or one of us would be looking to grab a gate slot for the practice, it makes the days schedule work out much better when you're trying to cram in car adjustments and work with the kid karts. On Sunday the timing doesn't work out unfortunately, as we have too much setup work in the morning and have to prep the FJr's at lunch.
WOW!! I was trying to figure out where you were coming from with the negativity. Then I saw the last line of your signature. Got it! Just trying to do my job, Steve.

STILL LOOKING FOR MORE VOLUNTEERS. ;)
2001 NB Miata
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Ed Holley wrote:
Steve Ekstrand wrote:A shift for Saturday and a shift for Sunday isn't a double work shift. They are separate days with separate work requirements.
You are correct. Thank you. Nevertheless, I'm attempting to get "new blood" into the spirit of volunteerism. ;)

So....what slot might I put you down for? :D

Ed
Ed,

Your response here is quite puzzling.

KJ
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Theo O.

Post by Theo O. »

Ed, I'm going to send you a PM shortly, we need to review how many people we can spare for gate duty until we get a better idea of how many people will attend. Also there is wisdom in what Steve is saying.

Thanks for staying on top of this by the way.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." - Benjamin Franklin
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:The gate job is best left to older participants or those with handicaps that prevent them from working course. But often the older ones aren't online as often and by the time they check on event details, those spots are grabbed by young energetic flat bellies that are better suited to course working.
That's a great point, Steve. I have balky knees, so I sympathize and empathize. When I work the gate or tech, I try to offer my slots to those less mobile, but I find that often they're hard to get ahold of. I'd love to make a "usual suspects" list of people and their contact info, so they can be contacted first for those two lower-stress jobs. Starting a new thread on this subject.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Kurt Ra wrote: I'd love to make a "usual suspects" list of people and their contact info, so they can be contacted first for those two lower-stress jobs. Starting a new thread on this subject.
That's a great idea Kurt. They absolutely are hard to reach via the forums.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:
Kurt Ra wrote: I'd love to make a "usual suspects" list of people and their contact info, so they can be contacted first for those two lower-stress jobs. Starting a new thread on this subject.
That's a great idea Kurt. They absolutely are hard to reach via the forums.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5817" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Car#: 82

Post by Leonard Cachola »

KJ Christopher wrote: Ed,

Your response here is quite puzzling.

KJ
Not to mention the curious use of the word 'URGENT' when we've still got more than 10 days before the event... :?
~Leonard Cachola
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator
Will Kalman
Club: PSCC
Car#: 232

Post by Will Kalman »

Kurt Ra wrote:I have balky knees
I never noticed the resemblance until now....

Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

BTW, in case everyone hadn't noticed, I believe this will be Ed's second event ever. I know it took me more than six months before I grew the stones to volunteer for anything, but instead of playing it safe and waiting a few months before taking the plunge into deeper responsibility within the region as most of us did, he's already taking on the waiver chief position. And in addition to his intestinal fortitude for taking on a completely unfamiliar role, he's also deepening the pool of potential core volunteers (assuming we all make it a pleasant, rewarding experience so he wants to do it again). With that in mind, I suggest we phrase all our feedback from here on out in the form of friendly, helpful, courteous advice.

Ed, you're doing a great job! Feel free to email or call me if you have anymore questions.
==============
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Kurt Ra wrote:BTW, in case everyone hadn't noticed, I believe this will be Ed's second event ever.
It's not.

That said, I'm not trying to give him a hard time. I was truly puzzled by his post. So much so that I couldn't even think of questions to ask on where it was going directionally.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins