General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Club: CASOC
Car#: 15

200 TW tires in STS

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

We have a pretty big STS field now. So the question for the first few events of 2015 is what tire are you running?

RE-71 is out Feb 2 but haven't heard if it's 200tw and of course no idea when we can get in our hands.

R1R is 200 but 15 inch sizes aren't available yet.

Rivals seemed ok locally, was horrid on Lincoln Concrete.

I have no experience with the Dunlop. ZII or ZII Star Spec?

RS3 seems like wrong tire for winter months?

If we really are in El Niño wet perf may be key?

Right now I'm leaning towards just running time only on last years tires til things sort out hopefully before the SD tour.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Bill Martin
Club: GRA
Car#: 74

Re: 200 TW tires in STS

Post by Bill Martin »

The RS-3 has been released as a V2 with lower temperature capability. I ran them at a coolish event over at LVMS a couple weeks ago and they did well. But totally different car.

Some regions are allowing their ST guys to continue to run R1R 140 until the 200s become available. Maybe that could carry you until the SDNT.
Pete Loney
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 777

Post by Pete Loney »

Bill Martin wrote:The RS-3 has been released as a V2 with lower temperature capability. I ran them at a coolish event over at LVMS a couple weeks ago and they did well. But totally different car.

Some regions are allowing their ST guys to continue to run R1R 140 until the 200s become available. Maybe that could carry you until the SDNT.
Agreed Steve....

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8279
2021 Season: 777 ES | 1999 Miata, 10th Anniversary #3987/7500
MIATAROADSTER.COM
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Thanks Pete!

Any thoughts on the future tire rumors? I haven't paid much attention til our panic over Jan 2015 tires. Dandy Andy has teased that the cries over the little R1R will be moot by May. The RE-71 is supposed to be all that. New Kumho long rumored. And of course, we know a new Rival must be coming at some point.

Any thoughts on what the best Rain tire is for STS? I might get a set of those and let Stacey run those in Jan and Feb, while I use up a set of old R1R's in STS. The R1R's are so good in the wet that I never bothered to consider other tires.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Don't get Rivals. They suck (either that or I suck, and I prefer to think they suck).
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Looks like the RS-3's are going to be backordered til 4/30. So for the National stops in March its either don't run, which means no ProFinale either. Or run the Dunlop Star Specs for the first time.... Untested. Not sure of pressures or shaving...
Its looking more and more like to do it right I need to buy Star specs now to run locally. But then of course, that would guarantee the Toyos get delivered by early March. And of course.... This time of year I usually get a set of full treads for rain and San Diego's surface and shaved for El Toro Pro. Then store the full tread set for rains and get another shaved set for the next round of national stops and summer.

Buying two sets now and then having the tires I want to run come out in time... Then having the game changed against mid-year with a couple of new contenders on the market.... This could easily be an 8 to 10 sets this year. So much for a cheap tire class.

Does it matter? Probably not for me. But for Stacey last year her tight battle with Lisa Berry was very much tied to had the freshest tires each month. At the Crow's Pro we weren't prepared for the heat and tire wear and wished we'd have had at least another pair of fronts to swap to on Sunday morning. Stacey finished a couple of thousandths out of qualifying for the 8 car ladies challenge in a tough field. At the Packwood pro I had some lightly worn shaved tires in good shape, the car wasn't working on Saturday. We put fresh tires on for Sunday and the car worked. They had 2-3 thousandths more tread and that worked better on the asphalt. Kinch went on to win the Challenge in the car. Maybe an alien could overcome. But Will and Kinch are pretty damn good. Its a competitve class locally and nationally and the right tire matters. Again.... Probably not for me. :(

So... Opinions on the Star Specs? 195-50-15 or 205 -50-15? Pressures? Shave? Wet performance? Anything else I should consider? My KB is limited to Toyo, Rival, and Hankook. And none of those are options right now.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Bill Martin
Club: GRA
Car#: 74

Post by Bill Martin »

Could you run wrong class in March with your old tires to remain eligible for the Pro Finale? Or can't you switch classes during the year?
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

You can switch classes but you need three events in the class you want to be eligible for. I'm sure Stacey and I won't make it on points in just two. Robert will.

More I think about it, I'll just buy a set of full tread star specs so we're legal and we'll suck. But we suck anyway. No reason to throw more money at an unfixable problem.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Jonathan Lugod
King of Fastrack!
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 194

Post by Jonathan Lugod »

The new Bridgestone RE71R releases in February. :D
http://www.osgiken.net
4 BSP- 2019 Mazda ND Miata - 2001 SSM Honda S2000
OS Giken / Bride / ShaftWorks USA
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

The one reason I'm holding off buying anything is hoping to see what February 2nd brings.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600