Street Survival School - Registration is Open

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

George Schilling
Club Representative
Club: CASOC
Car#: 66

Street Survival School - Registration is Open

Post by George Schilling »

On Saturday, April 20, our region will be hosting The Tirerack Street Street Survival School designed to teach teenager's the skills they need to keep them safe on the road. If you know of any teenagers who could benefit from the school, please let them know about this and sign-up right away. Sorry about the late novice, but it has just come to my attention that the school is far from capacity and I'd like to see it fill up. Cost is $75. The pertinent information is below. Here's the link to register.

The Tire Rack Street Survival® Teen Driving School – Car control instruction designed to provide teen drivers with accident avoidance skills and knowledge.
It’s not just about Driving, It’s about Living…

• The leading cause of death among 13-19 year olds in the US is from a motor vehicle crash.

• 62% of teenage passenger deaths in 2004 occurred in vehicles driven by another teenager.

• Teenagers cause 2.5 million accidents per year.

• In 2007 that resulted in over 6,000 deaths of teens.

If you have a teen driver at home or know someone who does, then those sobering statistics should be of concern. Recent and well publicized national stories have brought to light the tragedy of teen injury and death caused by traffic accidents. The stories often mention how the teen driver “lost control and over-corrected…” causing a tragic accident of some kind.

Your local media most likely has reported on a similar story in the not-to-distant past, or you may know of a teen involved in such circumstances.

To address this national issue, The Tire Rack Street Survival® teen driving schools were developed by the BMW Car Club of America (BMW CCA) and the BMW CCA Foundation in 2002. The programs have expanded to most major communities and are now conducted as well by the Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) regions with support from the SCCA Foundation.

The registration fee of $75.00, which covers only the cost of materials and equipment, provides students with experienced instructors who safely guide students through a day of behind the wheel instruction and short classroom sessions. Driving skill courses are specifically designed to mimic every day driving hazards, obstacles and challenges. Students will use the vehicles the student driver is most familiar with, which is usually their family or personal car, truck, or SUV.

Parents are urged to talk to their teen drivers about the advantages of attending this one day program. Eligible students are 16 to 21 years old and hold a valid unrestricted driver’s license or a valid permit. Students should have some driving experience and parents should make plans to attend the programs along with their teens. Parents are encouraged to register their teen drivers for this program on-line at http://www.streetsurvival.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Eric Clements
Solo Safety Steward
Club: No$
Car#: 30

Re: Street Survival School - Registration is Open

Post by Eric Clements »

??? Did this get opened up to the public?
This was originally sold to us as a private PTA event. Can I really tell my friend to sign their kids up?
Ed Holley
Car#: 912

Post by Ed Holley »

Eric Clements wrote:??? Did this get opened up to the public?
This was originally sold to us as a private PTA event. Can I really tell my friend to sign their kids up?
Private or public, it's "far from capacity" according to George's first paragraph. With all the high-priced talent he has recruited to put this on, his butt is in a sling. :lol:
Venue... :thumbup:
Plenty of cones... :thumbup:
Volunteers... :thumbup:
Students...Uh-oh :oops:
2012 ES Regional Champion
2001 NB Miata
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Eric Clements wrote:??? Did this get opened up to the public?
Yep, open to the public. Anyone ages of 15-21are eligible.

Apparently, the organizers thought they had a full class committed, but not everyone who said they would register has followed through. So, let's fill this thing up if we can. It's capacity controlled. As long as they can register via the link I provided, they can get in. :thumbup:
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head