New GPS GoPro

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

New GPS GoPro

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Working w/ Rhys Millen @ Wendover/Bonneville. He just got the new GoPro w/ GPS overlay to test.
Mako Koiwai

Re: New GPS GoPro

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Check out his new Red Bull video next week release. 700+ HP on Hankook RS3's - on a windy mountain road in Brazil mountain road.
Arthur Grant
Club: TCC
Car#: 314

Post by Arthur Grant »

Mako Koiwai wrote:Working w/ Rhys Millen @ Wendover/Bonneville. He just got the new GoPro w/ GPS overlay to test.
Knew I wasn't crazy.
Bill Schenker
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 14

Post by Bill Schenker »

Mako - are you sponsord/work for gopro? Just wondering...

(full disclosure: I am sponsored by ChaseCam - and feel good about being involved with a local company whose owner/founder/designer is also an AXer.)
MiataRoadster/OS Giken/ChaseCam/
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Bill Schenker wrote:Mako - are you sponsored/work for gopro? Just wondering...

(full disclosure: I am sponsored by ChaseCam - and feel good about being involved with a local company whose owner/founder/designer is also an AXer.)
Not to mention a CSCC site sponsor and National event sponsor.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Working w/ GoPro - Randy has no prescence in the "film" industry - GoPro does. If I had the money, I highly recommend ChaseCam!
Randy Chase
Car#: 98

Post by Randy Chase »

Gee... thanks Mako.
http://www.chasecam.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; VIDEO + DATA
Official provider to SCCA ProRacing, V8Supercars, Mazdaspeed, and more....
http://www.theadrenalinegallery.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Your California dealer for Rossion and Caterham
Randy Chase

Post by Randy Chase »

I will make sure to tell all the studio guys that I talked to at SEMA that I have no "prescence" in the industry.
http://www.chasecam.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; VIDEO + DATA
http://www.theadrenalinegallery.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Your California dealer for Rossion and Caterham
Max Hayter
Club: CASOC
Car#: 31

Post by Max Hayter »

Randy who?

:D
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

32 years working in every imaginable type of production, and I've never heard ChaseCam mentioned. Sorry - Mr. Gear Guy over here. I'd get laughed at recommending SD gear, but I'll be sure to mention that ChaseCam will soon have HD.
Randy Chase

Post by Randy Chase »

I will ask the guys at Disney or Top Gear if they have heard of Mako. ;)
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Steve walks carefully by the smoking pile of ashes.....
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Steve Towers
Club: No$
Car#: 87

Post by Steve Towers »

Ekstrand on 16 Nov 2010 14:57

You must have walked by after me. I'm pretty sure I saw some flames. :shock:
Jason Isley BS RX8
Car#: 0

Post by Jason Isley BS RX8 »

Steve Towers wrote:

Did anyone catch it on video so the rest of us can see it?
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

I'm justing saying from my experience. I've done 65 mm with Disney; I've used the very latest $90k Sony HD cameras w/ one of the top Top Gear cameramen but unfortunately I've never had the pleasure to use ChaseCam gear. I'd love to say I have!
Randy Chase

Post by Randy Chase »

Regardless, I think Bill's point is that there is a company here, run by one of us, that sponsors this very forum and our sport by spending his money to benefit you. In fact, I recall sending you some cash because I was trying to be nice for all your picture taking. And yet you keep kicking me in the teeth by constantly pushing competing products of people that DO NOT sponsor the sport, do not sponsor this forum, and are not one of us.

If you don't understand that, then fine. I am done.

I am glad I have the support of the people I care about.
Giovanni Jaramillo

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Jason Isley BS RX8 wrote:
Steve Towers wrote:

Did anyone catch it on video so the rest of us can see it?
I did...it's on my ChaseCam video...and it ain't pretty.
Mako Koiwai wrote:I'm justing saying from my experience. I've done 65 mm with Disney; I've used the very latest $90k Sony HD cameras w/ one of the top Top Gear cameramen but unfortunately I've never had the pleasure to use ChaseCam gear. I'd love to say I have!
Mako..........you have an e-mail. I suggest you read it ASAP.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Best thing about the video capture of the smoldering ashes is the beautiful Dashware Data overlay with custom gauges. ;)
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Michael Wood

Post by Michael Wood »

You guys can send me test hardware from both providers and I'd be happy to share an unbiased, non regional opinion, once I've used them for a year or two... :P
Karen Zaterman
Club: GRA
Car#: 134

Post by Karen Zaterman »

Michael Wood wrote:You guys can send me test hardware from both providers and I'd be happy to share an unbiased, non regional opinion, once I've used them for a year or two... :P
Forgive me for opening up an old bag of worms, but I want to clear this up... (and BTW, Mako does have both Disney and Top Gear connections on his resume) :!: 8-)
***Please understand that this post is in no way endorsed by Makofoto. It personally stems from Karen's respect for both parties.

@MH et al. I'm sure Mako would have been glad to test cams for Randy & offer his professional opinion on that matter, but was he was never asked, and receiving money for photos and/or video already taken has nothing to do with this. Anything he has received barely makes up for the time I have personally seen him spend on editing and posting -- not to mention the 30 some odd years of professional experience in photography and film/video. GoPro, on the other hand, has sent Mako numerous packages of equipment for testing and evaluation.

However, isn't it really a comparison of apples and oranges? Forgive me if I'm wrong, but my understanding of Randy's products have been a system that combines camera and data logging, whereas GoPros are merely to record imagery at low cost.

Mako was never attempting to "take business away from ChaseCam" and Randy, I personally don't see how discussing a completely different system can be considered "kicking you in the teeth." IMO the whole thing is ridiculous as the film/video industry targets a different crowd than the racing industry Randy has targeted. In any case, the film/vid industry typically has little interest in the data logging aspect of Randy's superb ChaseCam system, the excellence of which I am sure many on this forum can attest to.

That all being said, I hear Randy has just ACED a contract with NASA (and that is NOT the racing org!):
http://twitter.com/#!/ChaseCam

Go, Randy, go! :D
No, Mako -- you do NOT need to supercharge your new Miata! ...cuz now it's my turn to take it to the track :)
hmmmm... it is no longer "new" -- is it time to get faster?
Randy Chase

Post by Randy Chase »

Some points.. not to beat a dead horse.

GPS.. the very point of this thread.. is indeed data.

Karen, I did not mean to imply Mako does not have connections. But his statement I have NO presence was a little insulting and over the top no? Just FYI.. I worked with Jeremy Clarkson to help find a place to film Top Gear USA. I should be able to say more publicly about my relationship with TG, but I can tell you that in my conversations with Top Gear producers... they DO NOT like GoPro for their studio work. ChaseCam is not a huge presence in the industry... it was not my focus. But we are on many movies and TV shows and I am proud of that work. I am proud of the TV footage we have helped provide for Traxxas truck series, MX5 Cup series, V8 Supercars, and SPEED World Challenge. If Mako had only said "I have not worked with ChaseCam" that would have been far less insulting and much more accurate... but people skills have never been his strong point. I get that.

So to the point, I do think that pushing GoPro, as hard as Mako has been doing in person and in multiple threads... is a little much. They are a direct competition and it is not apples and oranges, it is more Fuji apples vs Granny Smith. One may be cheaper, one may fit your needs better. This I totally understand.

You don't think GoPro is pushing very hard now to take over the top end racing series and teams? They are working very hard to do that. Which is why I am having to focus on NASA..and the military and such... just to stay in business.
GoPro, on the other hand, has sent Mako numerous packages of equipment for testing and evaluation.
It is easier to do when you import product from cheap labor overseas and it does not cost you much, and you sell that many of them. You can hand those puppies out like chewing gum sticks. They also have the marketing cash to do this. I do not. My budget is more limited.

I will still try to support my friends and the sport. We are still sponsoring solo stuff in SCCA as best we can. I appreciate those that recognize that. I can tell you from a company point of view, when someone starts to feel like nobody cares, it starts to make less sense. But I support this sport, because I am in it, and my friends are in it.
Steve Abbott
Car#: 48

Post by Steve Abbott »

I'm always surprised at all the Chase cam sponsored drivers that seldom or never post their videos on this site. I would think that would be something a sponsoring business would want. Just putting stickers on the car is not much help for this kind of product.

Steve A.
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Although not sponsored (the big-ass sticker on the trailer get's grandfathered until I repaint it in, oh sometime this decade), I'll probably post ChaseCam video when I get the DIVA set up on the Menace. Careful selection could be effective sandbagging before nationals.... :) Until I get all the other issues sorted out, it is way to easy to just use the HD Hero cam. That said, with the motor seemingly working correctly now, I'll probably want that data as I shift to setting up the suspension. Maybe I should move the DIVA installation up on the priority list.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Arthur Grant
Club: TCC
Car#: 314

Post by Arthur Grant »

Steve Abbott wrote:I'm always surprised at all the Chase cam sponsored drivers that seldom or never post their videos on this site. I would think that would be something a sponsoring business would want. Just putting stickers on the car is not much help for this kind of product.

Steve A.
Agree with Steve, video's posted especially with data or data discussion would go a long way to creating product differentiation. Depending on NASA and the DoD can be an even more difficult expensive and frustrating road than racing.
Don Salyers
Car#: 42

Post by Don Salyers »

Here's the cheap way to go----GoPro, freeware overlay, PerformanceBox:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK96h3rWEtg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don