classes

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Kris Cho
Club: TCC
Car#: 214

classes

Post by Kris Cho »

which class can i run in that allows only street tires? i have stance coilover, aftermarket adjustable front and rear camber arms, solid compression arm bushing, HR y-pipe (y pipe for 07 model), SS brake and clutch lines, JWT intake, plenum spacer, and PS cooler. mods.
Are there any classes that i can run lower than STR class?
05 350z Performance
Robert Puertas
Club: PSCC
Car#: 44

Re: classes

Post by Robert Puertas »

Due to your mods, CST is your only option on 140+ tread wear tires.
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Club: No$
Car#: 6

Post by Mike Simanyi »

Short answer: Robert is correct, and there's probably very good competition there for you.

Longer answer: we'll need to know what your car is to know about correct classing, but the ST category is the only National category that uses 140+ treadwear tires. You'd likely be somewhere in that category and you'd have to de-content your car to run there. PS coolers and plenum spacers don't fit in that rule set.

CST is your best bet, locally.

Mike
Q V
Solo Safety Steward
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 69

Post by Q V »

kris cho wrote:which class can i run in that allows only street tires? i have stance coilover, aftermarket adjustable front and rear camber arms, solid compression arm bushing, HR y-pipe (y pipe for 07 model), SS brake and clutch lines, JWT intake, plenum spacer, and PS cooler. mods.
CST is a good class for you to run in. Honestly, I don't think you are even allowed in STR because of at least the plenum spacer (and maybe some of the other mods). You'll have fun in CST, great bunch of guys & all sorts of cars.

*edited.
Last edited by Q V on Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Quoc-Viet Dang wrote:
kris cho wrote:which class can i run in that allows only street tires? i have stance coilover, aftermarket adjustable front and rear camber arms, solid compression arm bushing, HR y-pipe (y pipe for 07 model), SS brake and clutch lines, JWT intake, plenum spacer, and PS cooler. mods.
CST is a good class for you to run in. Honestly, I don't think you are even allowed in CST because of at least the plenum spacer (and maybe some of the other mods). You'll have fun in CST, great bunch of guys & all sorts of cars.
CST = 140 or over TWR and capable of being registered for street use.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Q V
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Q V »

KJ Christopher wrote:
Quoc-Viet Dang wrote:
CST is a good class for you to run in. Honestly, I don't think you are even allowed in CST because of at least the plenum spacer (and maybe some of the other mods). You'll have fun in CST, great bunch of guys & all sorts of cars.
CST = 140 or over TWR and capable of being registered for street use.
Sorry, I'm eating while typing. I meant, I don't think he's allowed in STR. Edited.
Bill Schenker
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 14

Post by Bill Schenker »

Quoc-Viet Dang wrote:...Sorry, I'm eating while typing. I meant, I don't think he's allowed in STR. Edited.

Oranges?

;)
MiataRoadster/OS Giken/ChaseCam/
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
Q V
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Q V »

Bill Schenker wrote:
Quoc-Viet Dang wrote:...Sorry, I'm eating while typing. I meant, I don't think he's allowed in STR. Edited.

Oranges?

;)
The sauce was orange, actually!

And I think Kris was all settled in Tech or @ Reg because he ran BSP this weekend.

Kris, I hope you had a good time. There isn't really anyone running BSP locally (Art has moved to CPM, I think), so next time, maybe try out CST.
Kris Cho

Post by Kris Cho »

CST...
first, looks like ALL cars are allowed as long as they are registered in CA.. pumped up RX7, corvette, porsche, crazy miatas...lol i won't be able to go close to their time.:(
Second, time is not indexed? is that mean they don't time you? i like to see my time acurate so i know how i'm doing in the runs.

My car is 05 350z.
05 350z Performance
Kris Cho

Post by Kris Cho »

The guys at Reg wasn't sure if i should run in BSP or STR. i chose to run in BSP since it was the first group and STR was after lunch.
I asked about PS cooler and one of the guy said it has nothing to do with classing (at least BSP and STR i guess)
Quoc-Viet Dang wrote:
Bill Schenker wrote:

Oranges?

;)
The sauce was orange, actually!

And I think Kris was all settled in Tech or @ Reg because he ran BSP this weekend.

Kris, I hope you had a good time. There isn't really anyone running BSP locally (Art has moved to CPM, I think), so next time, maybe try out CST.
05 350z Performance
Q V
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Q V »

I remember when my friend was classing his 350z & he found he couldn't run STR because of the plenum spacer. BSP was the right class to put you in. If you remove your plenum spacer, you should verify that your arms/bushings are legal for the class - for specifics, you can refer to the cars & rules pdf listed on scca.com. There may also be an autox classing specific thread on one of the 350z forums online for additional referencing.

Also, in general, the cars in STR are typically faster than CST, so you may enjoy running in CST better anyway. You may not be in contention for 1st right away, but the 350z is more than capable of placing 1st in CST "on any given Sunday". There is also another 350z running in CST by Leonard Baptiste. Great guy, you can talk with him about 350z setup, etc. Other 350z guys occasionally show up & run in CST, as well.

I believe indexed times are just your raw time multiplied by your PAX index; this is the theoretical handicap of the class you run - this is just so you can compare your times across classes. There should be more info in the supplemental pdf on the home page.

The results for the January event is up. The raw run times are listed for each of the classes (under Class Results). You can look @ the times other people are running in a class you are interested in & compare. Also, continue taking advantage of the instructor runs. Welcome to autox!
Arthur Grant
Car#: 314

Post by Arthur Grant »

QV, someone in the trailer put me back in BSP when Kris showed up. Actually was happy to run in my actual class, and it was great to have Kris come out, I hope he enjoyed himself. The issue for Kris is whether to join me in BSP (which I will run if there is regular competition) or to run Novice. If he is really enjoys this and wants to make a run at a trophy or a championship, Novice woudl be his best chance. He came down the learning curve fast on his first event. He would have placed 4th out of 4, more than 4 seconds out of 3rd, but the other three people that ran I believe joined us towards the end of last year, so had some advantage.

Kris would love to have you run in BSP. If we can find a third car we could even run for a trophy, and I believe a championship. But between us we could have fun. I took 4th overall in last years novice group out of 21 entries 20 that actually competed and earned points.

Don't rush out of BSP yet, unless it's to novice. Each group is differnt but I made some real good friends running in novice. We were as competitive as could be, but we also shared everything we learned with each other. I know I lost a couple of places more than once by giving some course advice or what have you but it was fun, and they guys did the same for me. There is only one frustration with running novice as opposed to running a run group and that is you either have to stay until teh end of the day to find out where you placed or the next day or more when the results are posted online, becuase everyone in class runs at the same time and you can find out what you have to beat to move up, but with Novice you don't all run at the same time and unless your a math wiz and compute the the handicap against the time run you just have to do your best.

So to correct QV there is someone to run against in BSP and I would love to have the competition. If you come in February I am the dark blue C4 Corvette #314. :thumbup:
Robert Puertas
Car#: 44

Post by Robert Puertas »

Actually, I'm not sure the PS cooler is legal in any SCCA class...

One of the frustrating things about SCCA classing is that modifications popular for individual cars are not allowed for various reasons.
Maybe it's something unusual, or maybe it might be popular for your car alone because 99% of cars out there don't have that particular "issue."

In your case, you have some mods that are common for your car, but are not allowed in any of the classes that your car might actually be made competitive in...

That's why we have local classes like CSM and CST.

In your case, CST is the best fit for your car as it sits now.

You have a couple of choices moving forward. Play in CST as your car is now, or de-mod it so it's legal in CS, STR or BSP.

My advice is this: run CST for a while and figure out if this is a sport you want to build your car to better compete in.
If so, then look around and figure out where you think you'll have the most fun. The 350Z is probably most competitive in STR or CS.
However, locally, CST is very competitive. Even a well prepared CST 350Z will be a steep uphill battle against the guys who run STR in this region.
Arthur Grant

Post by Arthur Grant »

kris cho wrote:CST...
first, looks like ALL cars are allowed as long as they are registered in CA.. pumped up RX7, corvette, porsche, crazy miatas...lol i won't be able to go close to their time.:(
Second, time is not indexed? is that mean they don't time you? i like to see my time acurate so i know how i'm doing in the runs.

My car is 05 350z.
Kris you will always see your scratch time (what you actually ran) only the final times, your best time vs. your Pax or (handicap) will be reflected.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Club: CASOC
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Lot of cool cars in CST. And I think Jonathan Hartendrop won January. I've always liked Jon's driving, he's very talented in a wide range of vehicles as demonstrated in the SCNAX Cup where teams are formed and you drive others cars. But I'm pretty sure I could give him a pretty strong challenge in my ST civic. Pumped up corvettes and wild overboosted street weapons are often beat by simple small cars well prepped with simple legal mods and well driven. And in a class like CST, driver skill alone can overcome massive differences in car prep. As cool as Jonathan's 240 is on the street it always shocks me that he can drive it as well as he does in a tight autocross. I bet he'd be a second faster or more in my little underpowered civic.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Kris Cho

Post by Kris Cho »

where can i find the result?
can't find it on scca website..
05 350z Performance
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Club: CASOC
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Click Board Index here on our forums

Look for the event results sub-forum. All our results and point totals are there.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Q V
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Q V »

^^^^ what Steve said. As long as you are logged in first, you'll see it.
Kris Cho

Post by Kris Cho »

Arthur Grant wrote:QV, someone in the trailer put me back in BSP when Kris showed up. Actually was happy to run in my actual class, and it was great to have Kris come out, I hope he enjoyed himself. The issue for Kris is whether to join me in BSP (which I will run if there is regular competition) or to run Novice. If he is really enjoys this and wants to make a run at a trophy or a championship, Novice woudl be his best chance. He came down the learning curve fast on his first event. He would have placed 4th out of 4, more than 4 seconds out of 3rd, but the other three people that ran I believe joined us towards the end of last year, so had some advantage.

Kris would love to have you run in BSP. If we can find a third car we could even run for a trophy, and I believe a championship. But between us we could have fun. I took 4th overall in last years novice group out of 21 entries 20 that actually competed and earned points.

Don't rush out of BSP yet, unless it's to novice. Each group is differnt but I made some real good friends running in novice. We were as competitive as could be, but we also shared everything we learned with each other. I know I lost a couple of places more than once by giving some course advice or what have you but it was fun, and they guys did the same for me. There is only one frustration with running novice as opposed to running a run group and that is you either have to stay until teh end of the day to find out where you placed or the next day or more when the results are posted online, becuase everyone in class runs at the same time and you can find out what you have to beat to move up, but with Novice you don't all run at the same time and unless your a math wiz and compute the the handicap against the time run you just have to do your best.

So to correct QV there is someone to run against in BSP and I would love to have the competition. If you come in February I am the dark blue C4 Corvette #314. :thumbup:
Are you from betamotorsport? just a wild guess.sorry..i completely forgot all the names of the people i met due to focusing so much on racing ...ha..ha..
If we can get more than 3 people in BSP class, i'll run for the trophy ! ;) if not, i could run in CST novice group.
I'm planning to go to Feb championship. But also planning to go to championship in San diego on jan 30..lol
What's up with not being able to register for PSCC practice now? it says the registration opens on 3/19 but the event is on 3/19 -_-..
Last edited by Kris Cho on Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
05 350z Performance
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Kris Cho wrote: What's up with not being able to register for PSCC practice now? it says the registration opens on 3/19 but the event is on 3/19 -_-..
PSCC hasn't picked the event officials yet. Once we do we will post up the details. Typically practices are opened 3 to 4 weeks before the event.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Kris Cho

Post by Kris Cho »

thanks steve and QV.
man...i placed 124 out of 132 in PAX thing. :oops: umbarrasment :unimpressed: i never ran this bad when i was in track n field, 100m sprint, in high school lol
Gotta work harder
05 350z Performance
Daniel Y.
Club: Team Blew
Car#: 125

Post by Daniel Y. »

Kris Cho wrote:thanks steve and QV.
man...i placed 124 out of 132 in PAX thing. :oops: umbarrasment :unimpressed: i never ran this bad when i was in track n field, 100m sprint, in high school lol
Gotta work harder
Meh, no worries. We were all noobs at one point. As long as you're having fun, you're doing it right.
Arthur Grant

Post by Arthur Grant »

Rick Brown wrote:
Kris Cho wrote: What's up with not being able to register for PSCC practice now? it says the registration opens on 3/19 but the event is on 3/19 -_-..
PSCC hasn't picked the event officials yet. Once we do we will post up the details. Typically practices are opened 3 to 4 weeks before the event.

Really 3-4 weeks?
Bill Schenker
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 14

Post by Bill Schenker »

Kris Cho wrote:which class can i run in that allows only street tires? i have stance coilover, aftermarket adjustable front and rear camber arms, solid compression arm bushing, HR y-pipe (y pipe for 07 model), SS brake and clutch lines, JWT intake, plenum spacer, and PS cooler. mods.
Sounds (B)SP legal to me.

And Robert P. as of 1.1.11, p/s coolers are allowed in SP.
MiataRoadster/OS Giken/ChaseCam/
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
Nic Sanchez
Car#: 67

Post by Nic Sanchez »

Kris Cho wrote:thanks steve and QV.
Gotta work harder
Hey Kirs,

Don't get too down on yourself. My first event I was dead last. My wife and daughters video taped it. They still harass me to this day.. :P

Nic