Alternative Starting for Kid Kart

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Kurt Rahn
Club: CASOC
Car#: 88

Alternative Starting for Kid Kart

Post by Kurt Rahn »

I've got my hands on an FJB kart for my daughter, Maddie, to drive in FJB. It's going to take some elbow grease to get it in shape to drive, though, and one of the first things I need to deal with is getting the engine running. Problem is it requires an electric starter (Burris Racing driving a shaft with a square fitting on the end), and the starter's battery is dead. I've been wresting with the battery change for a couple days now (it's not easily user changeable), but I'd like to jump to a more immediate step and try to get the engine started to see if there are any issues on that end. I think I've seen people starting their kid karts by wrapping a strap of some kind around the rear tire and giving it a good yank. Would that work? The engine is a Yamaha KT100, if that matters.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Don Salyers
Club: No$
Car#: 42

Re: Alternative Starting for Kid Kart

Post by Don Salyers »

The strap will work, maybe---alot of pulling on a motor that has not been run in a couple of years or so :?: :?: . I jumped the battery with a car battery or a battery charger (can't remember which) to turn it over when I started it... The Burris battery is really dead!!

Don
Marshall Grice
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 11

Post by Marshall Grice »

strap won't work because of the clutch. you pretty much need the starter.
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Kurt Ra wrote:I've got my hands on an FJB kart for my daughter, Maddie, to drive in FJB. It's going to take some elbow grease to get it in shape to drive, though, and one of the first things I need to deal with is getting the engine running. Problem is it requires an electric starter (Burris Racing driving a shaft with a square fitting on the end), and the starter's battery is dead. I've been wresting with the battery change for a couple days now (it's not easily user changeable), but I'd like to jump to a more immediate step and try to get the engine started to see if there are any issues on that end. I think I've seen people starting their kid karts by wrapping a strap of some kind around the rear tire and giving it a good yank. Would that work? The engine is a Yamaha KT100, if that matters.
The fact that you asked that question Kurt is a good indicator. Indicator of what you might ask? It indicates that a prudent course of action is to take everything you bought to Eric's house and leave the stuff for a week. Let him get things squared away for you so you can start with a clean slate. Less frustration for you; some sheckles for Eric. It's a win-win. :thumbup:
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

George Schilling wrote:The fact that you asked that question Kurt is a good indicator. Indicator of what you might ask? It indicates that a prudent course of action is to take everything you bought to Eric's house and leave the stuff for a week. Let him get things squared away for you so you can start with a clean slate. Less frustration for you; some sheckles for Eric. It's a win-win. :thumbup:
That's actually a good idea. I'd like to try and get the engine running myself first, but the problem with the battery is one that requires more heavy duty tools that Eric has in his garage. Eric, I'll be calling.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Theo O.

Post by Theo O. »

George Schilling wrote:
Kurt Ra wrote:I've got my hands on an FJB kart for my daughter, Maddie, to drive in FJB. It's going to take some elbow grease to get it in shape to drive, though, and one of the first things I need to deal with is getting the engine running. Problem is it requires an electric starter (Burris Racing driving a shaft with a square fitting on the end), and the starter's battery is dead. I've been wresting with the battery change for a couple days now (it's not easily user changeable), but I'd like to jump to a more immediate step and try to get the engine started to see if there are any issues on that end. I think I've seen people starting their kid karts by wrapping a strap of some kind around the rear tire and giving it a good yank. Would that work? The engine is a Yamaha KT100, if that matters.
The fact that you asked that question Kurt is a good indicator. Indicator of what you might ask? It indicates that a prudent course of action is to take everything you bought to Eric's house and leave the stuff for a week. Let him get things squared away for you so you can start with a clean slate. Less frustration for you; some sheckles for Eric. It's a win-win. :thumbup:
That's what I do. Eric rocks :thumbup:

Plus if the kid sees you struggling with the kart too much it may stop looking like fun.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." - Benjamin Franklin
Will Kalman
Club: PSCC
Car#: 232

Post by Will Kalman »

Theo O. wrote:Plus if the kid sees you struggling with the kart too much it may start looking like entertainment.
Fixed... ;)
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Will Kalman wrote:
Theo O. wrote:Plus if the kid sees you struggling with the kart too much it may start looking like entertainment.
Fixed... ;)
Given her personality, I'd say Will's scenario is closer to reality. She's a stinker :D
==============
Theo O.

Post by Theo O. »

Will Kalman wrote:
Fixed... ;)
:lol:
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." - Benjamin Franklin
Richard Jung
Club: PSCC
Car#: 71

Post by Richard Jung »

I've used a jumper cable to a starter battery also.
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Richard Jung wrote:I've used a jumper cable to a starter battery also.
Don't even mention jumper cables to me :shock: :shock: :shock:
==============
Eric Clements
Solo Safety Steward
Club: No$
Car#: 30

Post by Eric Clements »

Starter is fixed, Mari will have it back in Pasadena tomorrow.
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Eric Clements wrote:Starter is fixed, Mari will have it back in Pasadena tomorrow.
Schweeeeeeeeeeeeet. Thanks, Eric!
==============
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Eric Clements wrote:Starter is fixed, Mari will have it back in Pasadena tomorrow.
That was fast. Now wise up and get the rest of the kart over to Eric. :P
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head