Trimming Fiberglass Safety

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Jayson Woodruff
Club: PSCC
Car#: 51

Trimming Fiberglass Safety

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

I've got a hand full of fiberglass body parts that are all going to need some serious trimming. A few months ago when I drilled a couple holes in some fenders my arms itched for days.

So whats recommended ways of doing this safely with minimal irritation? Obviously long sleeves, gloves and eye protection. Should I do this outside? Put clothes directly in the wash, or toss them? Hat or disposable cap?

What about tools? A grinder and/or dreml will be fastest, but for sure is going to be messy.

Jay W
PatMcSwain

Re: Trimming Fiberglass Safety

Post by PatMcSwain »

Use a shop vac while cutting. Water mist sprayer works good too. Keeps dust down.
Carbide tools will last longer, fiberglass goes though cutting tools quickly. Have extras. Dull tools make more dust, and get hot.
Fiberglass has polymer base, grinder is not good. Sharp cutting tools. Fine pitch.
Carbide single flute cutting bit is good.
Fred Sullivan
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 502

Post by Fred Sullivan »

When I use to race the motorcycle I was always working with that stuff. I don't miss it. I used a respirator and did it outside with those cheap disposable pullovers from the home improvement stores, then I'd toss them. Probably overkill. I'll second using water when cutting to keep the dust down. For washing up I used the coldest water from the tap, no hot. Seems to keep the fibers from sticking to the skin as much. Makes for fast showers too!
Brian Linn

Post by Brian Linn »

PatMcSwain wrote:Use a shop vac while cutting.
+1 . Try holding the vac to catch the dust as it's coming off the tool/part. Helpful to have a 2nd set of hands for this.
Blow yourself off with the air nozzle before letting the dust settle on you for too long. Blow your shirt from the inside out. As mentioned, cold water works (I thought it closed the pores)- I use the hose frequently if I get the dust on my arms. The dust doesn't cause me problems until it's rubbed or pressed against the skin. I have avoided long sleeve shirts because I thought it would get thru the shirt or on the cuffs and then rub against the skin.

RESPIRATOR!!
Jayson Woodruff

Brian Linn wrote:RESPIRATOR!!
I don't have a respirator, would a paper mask be pretty good?

I'm going to be making a pretty big mess. Trimming down two fenders, cutting out the insides of a pair of doors and cutting bracing out of a trunk lid.

Jay W
Vincent Wong
Car#: 107

Post by Vincent Wong »

I second the disposable overalls. I deal with that stuff at work everyday. Our guys at the factory would tape any possible openings shut so no dust will find its way into the arms or legs through any loose openings. They also wear some type of beanie to prevent dust on their hair.

Also keep the overall on until you finish the job AND clean everything.
Bill Martin
Club: GRA
Car#: 74

Post by Bill Martin »

For carbon fiber work I set up a strong fan blowing the dust away from me. No complaints.
Jayson Woodruff

Wow, I found disposable coveralls on McMaster Carr for DIRT cheap.

They have fancier stuff (Chem resistant, abrasion resistant), but econonomy stuff is really low priced. I ordered two sets of overalls that included a hood, have elastic cuffs AND include shoe covers for $3.50 ea. I went ahead and got a couple non-hooded sets to for future general garage work for just $2.50ea.

Jay W
Bill Martin
Club: GRA
Car#: 74

Post by Bill Martin »

I wonder if the flame resistant disposables would be useful for welding. I only have a leather jacket.
Q V
Solo Safety Steward
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 69

Post by Q V »

Jayson Woodruff wrote:
Brian Linn wrote:RESPIRATOR!!
I don't have a respirator, would a paper mask be pretty good?

I'm going to be making a pretty big mess. Trimming down two fenders, cutting out the insides of a pair of doors and cutting bracing out of a trunk lid.

Jay W
The paper mask thingy you get at Home Depot for painting works great. Breathing in fiberglass dust SUCKS. If you have closed goggles, that will help a lot with eye irritation.

Aside from that, using some painter's tape along the lines where you are going to cut help keep the fiberglass dust to a minimal as well.

Luckily for me, my body seems to have become accustomed to the dust & I haven't been nearly as irritated/itchy.
Vincent Wong
Car#: 107

Post by Vincent Wong »

Quoc-Viet Dang wrote:Luckily for me, my body seems to have become accustomed to the dust & I haven't been nearly as irritated/itchy.
I've been in my industry (heavily involving fiberglass cutting, trimming, drilling, etc.) for 13 years, I still get the irritation/itchy every time I go out to the production floor.
Steve Lepper
Club: TCC
Car#: 355

Post by Steve Lepper »

Corn starch. Rub it on your exposed skin before you start working with the 'glass. Keeps the fibers from sticking to you.