Read at your own risk.

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Bill Schenker
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 14

Guns don't kill people, stupid adults kill people

Post by Bill Schenker »

With true sadness at the unnecessary death of this young man, and anger @ moronic gun totters (yes, I know, many (most?) "gun toters" would never allow this, but you can see how a liberal, ban assault weapons guy like me HATES this Sh*t), I present this: http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/10/27/boy.sh ... index.html
Last edited by Bill Schenker on Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MiataRoadster/OS Giken/ChaseCam/
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
Bill Schenker

Re: Guns don't kill people, stupid adults kill people

Post by Bill Schenker »

...And yes, I've seen those youtube vids. of kids shooting .50 cal machine guns, blasting cars, etc.
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
Bob Beamesderfer
Club: PSCC

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Bill Schenker wrote:With true sadness at the unnecessary death of this young man, and anger @ moronic gun totters (yes, I know, many (most?) "gun totters" would never allow this, but you can see how a liberal, ban assault weapons guy like me HATES this Sh*t), I present this: http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/10/27/boy.sh ... index.html
Tote, toters, toting, toted.

Gene pool is self-cleaning. Too bad it waited a generation.

BTW, for all you conservatives who don't understand what it means to think independently, you can be certain that if McCain wins, I'm buying shotgun to protect my home from the neo-cons and their end-times army of idiots. :mrt:
Earl Merz
Club: No$
Car#: 40

Post by Earl Merz »

Bob Beamesderfer wrote: BTW, for all you conservatives who don't understand what it means to think independently, you can be certain that if McCain wins, I'm buying shotgun to protect my home from the neo-cons and their end-times army of idiots. :mrt:

Why wait? Shooting a 12ga at clays is great fun.
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE with Nav (need it to find my way around the course)
George Schilling
Club Representative
Club: CASOC
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Bob Beamesderfer wrote:BTW, for all you conservatives who don't understand what it means to think independently, you can be certain that if McCain wins, I'm buying shotgun to protect my home from the neo-cons and their end-times army of idiots. :mrt:
Good news is..........you'll still be able to still buy guns if McCain is elected. Obama's history on guns would suggest he favors a complete ban on guns. That was, of course, until the Supreme Court decision overturning D.C.'s ban on guns at which time he said he agreed with the decision. Go figure. But I guess as an Obama supporter, you know his position changes depending on who he's talking too.

Don't be afraid Bob. Those church going conservatives are generally content to live and let live and rarely shoot people. Half of the gun deaths in this country are suicides, and most of the others are committed with illegal weapons by non-republicans.

Bill, while any death is tragic, twice as many children die in bathtubs each year than are killed by guns. In fact, gun deaths to children are roughly the same as the number of children who drown in 5 gallon buckets. Add in auto accidents, kids struck by an auto, and swimming pool drownings and gun deaths to children are hardly a blip. Are liberals going to insist on banning these also? Or maybe just more stringent laws concerning their use. How about foam cocoons for all children traveling in autos; all children must wear floatation devices and headgear when swimming; mandatory alarms in bathtubs? With all the laws the liberals have passed I honestly don't know how a kid can have any fun any more. Soon they'll want to take away their guns! :lol:

BTW, I don't own a gun but I'm glad to know that as I get older I'll have the option to purchase one. If Obama is elected, my guess is we'll see a rush to buy hand guns in anticipation of a ban, whether the threat is real or imagined. :)
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Bill Schenker

Post by Bill Schenker »

George Schilling wrote:...Bill, while any death is tragic, twice as many children die in bathtubs each year than are killed by guns. In fact, gun deaths to children are roughly the same as the number of children who drown in 5 gallon buckets. Add in auto accidents, kids struck by an auto, and swimming pool drownings and gun deaths to children are hardly a blip....
Nice spin, neo-con! Not unlike what I've seen you do to a poor S2000 :lol:

Last I looked, kids need baths; last I looked, kids, for practical reasons, need to ride in cars; last I looked, kids like to swim in the summer; last
I looked, 8 YR. OLD KIDS DON'T NEED TO FIRE OFF UZIS @ FIRING RANGES.
Last edited by Bill Schenker on Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

My guns are all locked away outside the house.... I feel pretty naked without a major firepower spread around the house. We survived a fullscale home invasion robbery because we had more firepower than the bad guys. Once you've been through that its hard to go without. But we have Robert. The guns were gone before he came home from the hospital. :(

I'd like to protect my family. But its too big of risk that Robert could figure out how to get at them. He knows how to work locks and use keys. He knows how to pull triggers. And he's Robert.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
George Schilling
Club Representative

Bill Schenker wrote:
George Schilling wrote:...Bill, while any death is tragic, twice as many children die in bathtubs each year than are killed by guns. In fact, gun deaths to children are roughly the same as the number of children who drown in 5 gallon buckets. Add in auto accidents, kids struck by an auto, and swimming pool drownings and gun deaths to children are hardly a blip....
Nice spin, neo-con! Not unlike what I've seen you do to a poor S2000 :lol:

Last I looked, kids need baths; last I looked; kids, for practical reasons, need to ride in cars; last I looked, kids like to swim in the summer; last
I looked, 8 YR. OLD KIDS DON'T NEED TO FIRE OFF UZIS @ FIRING RANGES.
But apparently it's fun. And it's relatively safe. Like driving around like crazy people in parking lots is fun. And it too is relatively safe. It doesn't mean that accidents don't happen. Lefties seem to think that their risky sport is OK, but those that engage in other risky areas are insane. BTW, I'd be willing to bet that more people are killed each year skiing than the number of children killed by guns. Lots more. Should we outlaw skiing? Most people think the number of children killed each year by weapons is far greater than it really is.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Larry Andrews
Car#: 0
Location: In the Santa Cruz mtns, with two chainsaws and a beer.

Post by Larry Andrews »

George Schilling wrote:Those church going conservatives are generally content to live and let live and rarely shoot people.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Robert_Rudolph

Um, no. Not true.
Bill Schenker

Post by Bill Schenker »

George Schilling wrote:...But apparently it's fun. And it's relatively safe. Like driving around like crazy people in parking lots is fun. And it too is relatively safe. It doesn't mean that accidents don't happen. Lefties seem to think that their risky sport is OK, but those that engage in other risky areas are insane. BTW, I'd be willing to bet that more people are killed each year skiing than the number of children killed by guns. Lots more. Should we outlaw skiing? Most people think the number of children killed each year by weapons is far greater than it really is.
Man! Nice 720* spin!

Re. AX: we don't let 8 yr olds. drive SS cars - or any cars for that matter. Jr. karts? Sure!

Re. skiing: we don't let 8 yr. olds race in difficult Downhills. A sort of modified Giant Slalom? Sure!

Re. guns: Let kids fire pellet guns? Sure! (like jr. karts or kid's Downhills) But Assault weapons for an 8 yr. old? Please.
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
George Schilling
Club Representative

Larry Andrews wrote:
George Schilling wrote:Those church going conservatives are generally content to live and let live and rarely shoot people.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Robert_Rudolph

Um, no. Not true.
And how does that make my statement not true? I think you'll find that the vast majority of murders are committed by people other than church going conservatives. We can't have a discussion if we can't even agree on obvious facts.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

The exception that says nothing about the rule....
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
George Schilling
Club Representative

Bill Schenker wrote:
George Schilling wrote:...But apparently it's fun. And it's relatively safe. Like driving around like crazy people in parking lots is fun. And it too is relatively safe. It doesn't mean that accidents don't happen. Lefties seem to think that their risky sport is OK, but those that engage in other risky areas are insane. BTW, I'd be willing to bet that more people are killed each year skiing than the number of children killed by guns. Lots more. Should we outlaw skiing? Most people think the number of children killed each year by weapons is far greater than it really is.
Man! Nice 720* spin!

Re. AX: we don't let 8 yr olds. drive SS cars - or any cars for that matter. Jr. karts? Sure!

Re. skiing: we don't let 8 yr. olds race in difficult Downhills. A sort of modified Giant Slalom? Sure!

Re. guns: Let kids fire pellet guns? Sure! (like jr. karts or kid's Downhills) But Assault weapons for an 8 yr. old? Please.
Bill, imagine a 6 old losing control and driving his/her kart head-on into one of the concrete light standards at say 40 MPH and was paralyzed or killed. We would think unfortunate accident. The general public, not knowing the relative safety of autox, wouldn't be so understanding. They would want to hang the adults involved even though we have come to think of this activity as without risk. As far as I can tell, the NRA and like groups that promote gun education and safety have and excellent record regarding kids and guns.

Regarding skiing, I wasn't referring to ski racing, just skiing in general. I have seen many terrible accidents on the slopes. One I remember incident at Alta involving a 6 year old who was obviously out of control on an easy blue rated slope. He ended up in a heap at the bottom of the hill. Broke his arm. If he had hit a tree, he would have been dead ala Sonny Bono. But we still allow people to ski despite the high number of deaths each year. Yes, having fun can be dangerous.

I don't defend the actions that led to the child's death. It seems stupid to me also. But how can one judge being privy only to the reporters slant on the issue. Again, I refer you to the kart example. I have know idea if an 8 year old can enjoy shooting an assault weapon under the supervision on an instructor in relative safety. If absolute safety were the issue, many things we enjoy today would be banned. Many activities have already been banned. Something as simple as eating a peanut on an airplane is banned thanks to leftist thought that if one person can be hurt by it, it's one too many. We are losing our freedoms to this type of thinking.
John Coffey
Car#: 250

Post by John Coffey »

Uuuuhhhh... guns are used in sport far more then they are used to kill people. Guns are used in a number of Olympic sports Mr. Olympian including one where the shooter is wearing skis! Guns have been used for sport far longer then cars have even existed. As with any tool, they can be misused by stupid adults (as your post title states) but the vast majority of private gun owners WORLDWIDE are safe and careful in their gun handling practices. Its easy to find a few nutcases for anything (skiiing, autocrossing, etc.) and those few nutcases don't prove anything, they just provide a basis for yet another nonsensical emotional rant.
Bob Beamesderfer

George Schilling wrote:
Bob Beamesderfer wrote:BTW, for all you conservatives who don't understand what it means to think independently, you can be certain that if McCain wins, I'm buying shotgun to protect my home from the neo-cons and their end-times army of idiots. :mrt:
Don't be afraid Bob. Those church going conservatives are generally content to live and let live and rarely shoot people. Half of the gun deaths in this country are suicides, and most of the others are committed with illegal weapons by non-republicans.
I'm not talking about those attending the Mormon church down the block from me, or the countless members of the big box church a couple of miles away. And who said anything about Republicans?

It's the black-helicopter, white supremacist types. The ones that end up following the Devil in "The Stand." I'll probably need the weaponry just as much no matter who wins, maybe more if Obama wins because then they'll have a new "cause" for their movement.
Bill Schenker

Post by Bill Schenker »

John Coffey wrote:Uuuuhhhh... guns are used in sport far more then they are used to kill people. Guns are used in a number of Olympic sports Mr. Olympian including one where the shooter is wearing skis! Guns have been used for sport far longer then cars have even existed. As with any tool, they can be misused by stupid adults (as your post title states) but the vast majority of private gun owners WORLDWIDE are safe and careful in their gun handling practices. Its easy to find a few nutcases for anything (skiiing, autocrossing, etc.) and those few nutcases don't prove anything, they just provide a basis for yet another nonsensical emotional rant.
I'm well aware of Biathlon (cross-country skiing combined with target shooting) and as a matter of fact I trained with the U.S. Jr. National Team when I was 19 and rehabing my knee from an Alpine skiing injury. As a matter of fact, I was better suited to Biathlon then my sport as I was (am?) a very good shot.

Guess what? 8yr. olds don't compete! And last I looked, there WASN'T any Olympic sport that used a MACHINE GUN/ASSAULT RIFLE!
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
Bob Pl
Club: GRA
Car#: 26

Post by Bob Pl »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:My guns are all locked away outside the house.... I feel pretty naked without a major firepower spread around the house. We survived a fullscale home invasion robbery because we had more firepower than the bad guys. Once you've been through that its hard to go without. But we have Robert. The guns were gone before he came home from the hospital. :(

I'd like to protect my family. But its too big of risk that Robert could figure out how to get at them. He knows how to work locks and use keys. He knows how to pull triggers. And he's Robert.
It's paramount that children not be able to access an adults gun collection. Having said that, there are some very good, small, gun safes, not too expensive, that work on recognition of finger or hand print.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GUNVAULT-GVB-2000-F ... dZViewItem" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very child proof. Will hold you favorite 9mm and several extra clips or a .45 if your a really good shot. Also an extreme bright (SureFire) light with long life batteries. Under a stress situation I like the option of more shots JIK.

My wife has a co worker who is also a friend of mine ( well he does drive a 911, but I don't hold it against him) that was subjected to a home invasion in (a nice part of) Oceanside several years ago.

I taught both my son & daughter and lot's of other kids, as an instructor, to shoot SAFELY with the NRA Junior Rifle Program. Both still have the trophies to prove it.

So if you come to my house after dark, and I don't know you, you better be bringing a pizza.

:)
Last edited by Bob Pl on Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bob Beamesderfer

Bob Plante wrote:
So if you come to my house after dark, and I don't know you, you better be bringing a pizza.

No anchovies, right? :D

Home invasion robberies predominately happen in upscale neighborhoods. As Willie Sutton said, "That's where the money is."
Bob Pl
Car#: 26

Post by Bob Pl »

Bob Beamesderfer wrote:
Bob Plante wrote:

No anchovies, right? :D

Home invasion robberies predominately happen in upscale neighborhoods. As Willie Sutton said, "That's where the money is."

LMAO

John Coffey

Post by John Coffey »

Guess what? 8yr. olds don't compete!
Maybe not in the Biathlon but 8 year olds compete in any number of shooting sports and skiing events. From air power "Shutzen" to single shot rifle competitions, 8 years olds shoot lots of different weapons in competition. Should they be shooting semi-automatic rifles? Probably not. Should they be skiing down top level downhill courses? Probably not. Do they do both in unsanctioned events because stupid adults encourage it, of course. Care to estimate how many 8 years olds will be skiing double diamond or dropping down vertical faces this winter on ski resorts around the world?
John Coffey

Post by John Coffey »

Halloween must be pretty scary for those 8 year olds who come to your front door. :-)
Bill Schenker

Post by Bill Schenker »

John Coffey wrote:... Care to estimate how many 8 years olds will be skiing double diamond or dropping down vertical faces this winter on ski resorts around the world?
Yes, I do!

Maybe a couple of hundred. There are very few that are good enough @ that age. But if you and Georgie want to keep on using ski analogies, fine; here's one: an adult putting an Uzi in an 8 yr. old's hands is like an "adult" taking that kid, who's just an intermediate skier, to the top of that vertical face and telling him to make it down on his own. Only the kid will live; he'll be scared as h*ll, but he'll live - wonder how many 8 yr. old's, or anyone around them, will live after putting an Uzi in their hands.

Look, enough of this analogy, justification crap; no one in their right mind can defend the actions of an "adult" putting an Uzi in an 8 yr. old's hand. Period, end of story.
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
Jeff Shyu
Car#: 0

Post by Jeff Shyu »

Bill Schenker wrote:Look, enough of this analogy, justification crap; no one in their right mind can defend the actions of an "adult" putting an Uzi in an 8 yr. old's hand. Period, end of story.
i wasn't going to get into this, but ended up here anyways.

putting an uzi into an 8 year old's hand is probably safer than giving a set of car keys to a 16 year old.

there's an understood danger to an Uzi, whereas the inherent danger in a car is often overlooked.

the bottom line is that it's all based upon education, and personal responsibility.
Ron Tsumura
Car#: 190

Post by Ron Tsumura »

I used to ride a dirt bike in the 90's. Some of these little guys on 80cc bikes would wipe the track up with the bigger/older 125 and 250cc riders like me. These little guys would fly over the doubles and tripples like pros!! (50 to 60 feet jumps) Very dangerous, especially when your just starting out.

In my defense, I only started riding a few years and only got out to a motocross track maybe once a month.

The same thing can be said for skiing. These little kids make me look and feel like I'm in the "Special Olympics".

If you want to be really good at somthing, it does not hurt to get an early start. Just do it within your limits.
Last edited by Ron Tsumura on Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Schenker

Post by Bill Schenker »

Jeff Shyu wrote:
Bill Schenker wrote:Look, enough of this analogy, justification crap; no one in their right mind can defend the actions of an "adult" putting an Uzi in an 8 yr. old's hand. Period, end of story.
i wasn't going to get into this, but ended up here anyways.

putting an uzi into an 8 year old's hand is probably safer than giving a set of car keys to a 16 year old.

there's an understood danger to an Uzi, whereas the inherent danger in a car is often overlooked.

the bottom line is that it's all based upon education, and personal responsibility.
I will grant you that a 16 yr. old driving a car can be a danger to themselves and everyone around them. H*ll, I slid into a snow bank on the way home from getting my driver's lic. :roll: A car can be a very dangerous thing, BUT, it's has no designed function as a deadly weapon; an UZI has as it's ONLY function being a deadly weapon.

Please, please enough of the justifications: there is NO good reason to put an UZI into the hands of an 8 year old!

O.K. one: The Cylons are attacking Earth; nearly everyone is dead on the planet...except for little Billy. Thank G*d, little Billy's parents were wise enough, while they were holed up in the mountains of Idaho, before the Cylons figured out how good the skiing in Sun Valley was and vaporized it, to teach him how to fire off two UZIs at once, changing clips on the fly. And how fortunate it was for all of mankind that little Billy's parents, before they tragically died by falling into the Pits of Modor, dipped those UZI bullets in Quaker motor oil (5-30) - the only thing deadly to Cylons and any properly functioning motor - thereby saving the World!!!! Yea!

Of course, there still was a tragic end to the story: the world lived on, only to be put into The Darkness by 8 years of the Bush Administration.

---------------------
G*d, how can this be even argued :?: :shock: :roll:
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP