GRM Extreme Tire Test results

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Jonathan Lugod
King of Fastrack!
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 194

Re: GRM Extreme Tire Test results

Post by Jonathan Lugod »

hmmm interesting. I wonder what surface this was tested on. I knew we should of shaved the kumho's when we bought them.

oh yeah, it would also be wise to find out what the car's setup was for. I'm guessing for the RE01R's.
http://www.osgiken.net
4 BSP- 2019 Mazda ND Miata - 2001 SSM Honda S2000
OS Giken / Bride / ShaftWorks USA
Stephen Yeoh
Solo Chair
Club: CASOC
Car#: 88

Post by Stephen Yeoh »

What temperature was the test conducted at and were the best times on the Kumho after the tire heated up?
Stephen Yeoh
Cal Club Autocross Chair
Jason Isley BS RX8
Car#: 0

Post by Jason Isley BS RX8 »

Holli's car, on the Drive Way in TX from what I hear. Not to be confused with the Drive way road course in Austin. The Drive Way Andy and a number of other TX guys use is a private track literally in someones front yard. I don't remember all the details, but I think it is mostly a 2nd gear mini road course.

Hey, if the Toyo is so slow, how is Kenny kicking all your @sses so bad? :lol:
Stephen Yeoh
Solo Chair

Post by Stephen Yeoh »

Jason Isley BS RX8 wrote:Hey, if the Toyo is so slow, how is Kenny kicking all your @sses so bad? :lol:
We are slow. You are welcome to come down and show us how it should be done! :ibrightdea:
Stephen Yeoh
Cal Club Autocross Chair
Jason Isley BS RX8
Car#: 0

Post by Jason Isley BS RX8 »

Stephen Yeoh wrote: We are slow. You are welcome to come down and show us how it should be done! :ibrightdea:
OK, but I don't know how me beating you will make you feel any better about getting lapped by Kenny. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jamie Lessie

Post by Jamie Lessie »

How fair is it to compare a 195/55 Dunlop Z1 to a 205/50 Kumho XS? :?:

I know it is really close but we are talking milliseconds here.
http://www.freewebs.com/rotaryinfo/bewa ... rotary.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jonathan Lugod
King of Fastrack!

Post by Jonathan Lugod »

Jamie Lessie wrote:How fair is it to compare a 195/55 Dunlop Z1 to a 205/50 Kumho XS? :?:

I know it is really close but we are talking milliseconds here.
its as fair as its going to get. There is no other size for the dunlop in 15". These sizes and testing were done with ST* and STS in mind. The other ST classes unfortunately are going to have to take it for what it is or do their own independent testing.
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Seems like some of the heavier cars/classes like the Dunlop. There are SO MANY variables that it's a toss up with a number of those tires. The relatively poorly rated Toyo in the hands of Ken has been consistently a second plus faster then the other ST drivers/cars using RE-11's. Ideally each car needs to be tuned to each tire, plus tire pressures, etc. The Dunlop feels terrific on our Miata ... but is only available in that one size. We just ordered the 205/50/15 RE-11's ... just minutes before I discovered that review! 8-)
Jonathan Lugod
King of Fastrack!

Post by Jonathan Lugod »

Mako Koiwai wrote:Seems like some of the heavier cars/classes like the Dunlop. There are SO MANY variables that it's a toss up with a number of those tires. The relatively poorly rated Toyo in the hands of Ken has been consistently a second plus faster then the other ST drivers/cars using RE-11's. Ideally each car needs to be tuned to each tire, plus tire pressures, etc. The Dunlop feels terrific on our Miata ... but is only available in that one size. We just ordered the 205/50/15 RE-11's ... just minutes before I discovered that review! 8-)
Ken is on a different level that we are trying our best to catch up to. Its HIS standard that we need to catch up to. It will only make us that much better than the rest on the nation in ST. The Toyo tested was a 205/50. The 225 will be in the next test with the yokos and the hankrooks.

Remember, the test was done to simulate just putting the tires on a car. Excluding the needed setup changes that the newer tires desire. We can only assume that Andy's cars are setup for Bridgestone RE01R's. I'll leave the rest up to you guys/gals for interpretation.
Jeff Wong
Car#: 146

Post by Jeff Wong »

Mako Koiwai wrote:The relatively poorly rated Toyo in the hands of Ken has been consistently a second plus faster then the other ST drivers/cars using RE-11's. Ideally each car needs to be tuned to each tire, plus tire pressures, etc.
This weekend at Wendover, we were all sitting in grid waiting for our afternoon runs, I asked Ken what tire pressures he was running. He didn't know because he was still using a 10 - 12 psi off tire pressure gauge but he had a general idea of what the pressures were at. He asked me to check the pressures with my semi accurate gauge, and when I told him his tire pressure, he looked at me dumb founded and shocked that it was so low :o If you want a reenactment, Seb told me Rhoades is the man. :thumbup:

Image is really all I have to say... Simply amazing.
Jeff Wong
1994 Honda Civic- STS
ProParts USA
Like Us on Facebook
Kyle Williams

Post by Kyle Williams »

Ken is on a different level that we are trying our best to catch up to. Its HIS standard that we need to catch up to. It will only make us that much better than the rest on the nation in ST. The Toyo tested was a 205/50. The 225 will be in the next test with the yokos and the hankrooks.

Remember, the test was done to simulate just putting the tires on a car. Excluding the needed setup changes that the newer tires desire. We can only assume that Andy's cars are setup for Bridgestone RE01R's. I'll leave the rest up to you guys/gals for interpretation.
The fastest way to catch up to Ken's level would be to give in and put those gumball 225/45/15 Toyo's on your car. It's what Toyo wants you to do ;)
Ron Tsumura
Club: GRA
Car#: 190

Post by Ron Tsumura »

The fastest way to catch up to Ken's level would be to give in and put those gumball 225/45/15 Toyo's on your car. It's what Toyo wants you to do ;)[/quote]

Follow the lemming, he's on a Honda, er.. Toyos.. :D
Jamie Lessie

Post by Jamie Lessie »

If anyone has run any 2 tires on the list and compare I am sure I am not the only one who would love to hear it. Anyone other then Chad run the new Kumhos?
http://www.freewebs.com/rotaryinfo/bewa ... rotary.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jonathan Lugod
King of Fastrack!

Post by Jonathan Lugod »

can't say ive ran any of those tires :roll: :lol:
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Kyle has been running the Kumho before it was officially released. He's a big fan of it ... and thinks it should work well in the heat and with a heavier car. He usually runs them on his ST CIvic ... but I believe this weekend he was using up some old Falkens?
Attachments
IMG_0655.jpg
IMG_0655.jpg (57.31 KiB) Viewed 17608 times
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

I just bought Star Specs about a month and a half ago, and I've run them at 2 events so far. My car is obviously much bigger/heavier than most others, and my old tires were not optimal for autocross, though they weren't horrible (BFG KDW2s), but I'e gained at least a second since I've started running them. If any of the others are better than that, I'd love to compare. I'm kinda surprised that they came in a distant 5th, though I suppose a tire is going to work completely differently on any given application. They work really well on my car.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Richard Jung
Club: PSCC
Car#: 71

Post by Richard Jung »

Kurt Rahn wrote:I just bought Star Specs about a month and a half ago, and I've run them at 2 events so far. My car is obviously much bigger/heavier than most others, and my old tires were not optimal for autocross, though they weren't horrible (BFG KDW2s), but I'e gained at least a second since I've started running them. If any of the others are better than that, I'd love to compare. I'm kinda surprised that they came in a distant 5th, though I suppose a tire is going to work completely differently on any given application. They work really well on my car.
On my heavier car the Stars Specs were much faster than the Falken 615 and the Bridgestone RE01Rs.

Also check out tirerack's test, where they tested the top ST tires on a heavy BMW e46, and the Stars Specs can out on top.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/tes ... p?ttid=107" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Plus Max and Annie did ok on Dunlops last weekend. :thumbup:
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

We just got our new RE-11's yesterday ... 205/50/15's ... so much WIDER then our Dunlop Z1 195/50/15's! We loved the Z1's ... can't imagine the RE-11's being that much better, but the Dunlops only come in 195 in 15" ... so we had to move on. With so much extra rubber, I'm sure the RE-11's WILL be outstanding!

The RE-11's in this photo aren't mounted. The Z1's are mounted to our skinny oem wheels. I go pick up the RE-11's from being mounted at Island Tires later this morning. They went onto our skinny (but LIGHT!) SSR's.
Attachments
photo-79.jpg
photo-79.jpg (124.05 KiB) Viewed 17500 times
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

You use Island! Cool. Nice guys. Say hi to Jose and Andrew for me.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Giovanni Jaramillo
Club: PSCC

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Richard Jung wrote:Also check out tirerack's test, where they tested the top ST tires on a heavy BMW e46, and the Stars Specs can out on top.
Richard's right. I just put these on my car at the BMW SD auto-x, they grip was great but what was better was the early warning they gave when they were about to go. +1 for Dunlops
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:You use Island! Cool. Nice guys. Say hi to Jose and Andrew for me.
+1. Love those guys!
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Jeff Nucum

Post by Jeff Nucum »

hmm this makes a hard decision for me. 492-100 rebate for the re-11s from city tire or 370 no rebate for the Kumho XS from JLB. my front tires (azenis) corded last practice and i have no desire to pay 85 a tire to replace the fronts.
Ethan West
Club: No$
Car#: 764

Post by Ethan West »

I'm buying my RE-11's in the next couple days once I recieve my Slipstreams.
2003 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor- CST
Kyle Williams

Post by Kyle Williams »

Kyle has been running the Kumho before it was officially released. He's a big fan of it ... and thinks it should work well in the heat and with a heavier car. He usually runs them on his ST CIvic ... but I believe this weekend he was using up some old Falkens?
I wasn't running them before they were released but before they were legal for competition since they came out so late in the year. I like them a lot; they last long, have good grip, are lightweight...