The Deal with X Runs

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Jeff Stuart
King of Fastrack!
Club: CASOC
Car#: 13

The Deal with X Runs

Post by Jeff Stuart »

Hi everyone, I'll start by saying I'm a complete newbie. I got my SCCA membership, a helmet on the way, a points card, and I'm almost ready to sign up on axware for the Thanksgiving Championship event.

It seems from what I've read that X runs are basically so you can pay more to drive more during the event. I'm just wondering if I could get an explanation on exactly how the X runs work, and how do I sign up for one? I read in the WhoWeAre pdf that "You cannot take “X” runs in the same run group as your championship or TO runs", and I'm wondering what that means.

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Jeff-
Q V
Solo Safety Steward
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 69

Re: The Deal with X Runs

Post by Q V »

ideally, you should take your x-runs in another group (after your normal/timed-only runs).

My Example:
- Next event, I'm running 2nd, working 3rd
- If I take x-runs, I should do them 4, 5, 6th run group (I can also do more than 1 set of x-runs)

If you really want to, you can take your x-runs in the same run group (i.e. 2nd for my case), but make sure you line up in the multi-driver line so that everyone is not waiting for you to finish your runs.

You can pre-reg for x-runs (don't pay for them online tho because last time I checked, the system charges $30 for x-runs when they are only $25); just pay @ the event for x-runs. You can also add x-runs if available (almost always are) @ registration.
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

... And u don't have to work a 2 nd time when u do X Runs
Jeff Stuart
King of Fastrack!

Post by Jeff Stuart »

Ok, I understand.

So I'm planning on running as a NOV with my HS car, so since HS is 2nd group, then I need to find something in groups 4-6 to do the X run in. What group would you recommend I run with?

EDIT:
So, I've just registered for the X run in AXWare and I just chose X for PAX. Does that mean I can just choose any group to run in for my X runs, or will somebody tell me what group to run in when I get there? Sorry if I'm misunderstanding something, just want to make sure I get it right.
Craig Naylor
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

Let them know at Reg that you signed up for x-runs (as your going to need to pay for them) Depending on the organization in charge at any given event, how you end up "signing up" in a run group varies. Just let them know you need to set up the run group for those runs and the will let you know what you need to to on that given day.
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Club: No$
Car#: 6

Post by Mike Simanyi »

Jeff, unfortunately Axware doesn't appropriately handle our X-run processing. You can sign up for it, but that doesn't guarantee a spot or properly handle the payment for the runs.

Please speak with Registration about X-runs to ensure you're set up properly for them. I suggest you request the first or second run group after lunch for your X-runs, and if you're truly a novice feel free to request an instructor for your first set of runs. They can be very helpful to your times.

Mike
Jeff Stuart
King of Fastrack!

Post by Jeff Stuart »

Great!

Thanks for the responses. I can't wait for the event. I'm definitely a novice... Never gone auto crossing or raced real cars before, though I try to go karting at MB2 Raceway as much as I can.

So, while I'm asking all these questions, I might as well ask another. What are the technical regulations for tires. I just have normal tires on my car with probably about 30k miles on them. Do I need to consider getting new tires before the event (I need to get new ones soon anways) or will I be alright with the ones I have. When I'm going through tech inspection, what exactly will be looked at?
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Welcome Jeff!

No cords showing is really the only thing tech would be concerned with.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Mike Simanyi wrote:Jeff, unfortunately Axware doesn't appropriately handle our X-run processing. You can sign up for it, but that doesn't guarantee a spot or properly handle the payment for the runs.

Please speak with Registration about X-runs to ensure you're set up properly for them. I suggest you request the first or second run group after lunch for your X-runs, and if you're truly a novice feel free to request an instructor for your first set of runs. They can be very helpful to your times.

Mike
Actually it handles registration of X-Runs fine, just not the payment part.

I have a plan for the way we handle numbers, non-members and X-Runs for next year.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Greg Peng
Car#: 908

Post by Greg Peng »

Jeff Stuart wrote:"You cannot take “X” runs in the same run group as your championship or TO runs"
As Jeff mentioned, this is in the WhoWeAre.pdf, but I couldn't find it in the CSCC Supplementary Regulations. Is this a recommendation or a new rule? I seem to remember seeing single drivers running in the multi-driver lanes to do both their champ runs and X-runs during the same group. For the upcoming event, I'd like to be able to run in SK1 (last run group) and also do X-runs if this is still allowed. If not, I can just switch to AS to do my champ runs earlier.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director

Post by Rick Brown »

Greg Peng wrote:
Jeff Stuart wrote:"You cannot take “X” runs in the same run group as your championship or TO runs"
As Jeff mentioned, this is in the WhoWeAre.pdf, but I couldn't find it in the CSCC Supplementary Regulations. Is this a recommendation or a new rule? I seem to remember seeing single drivers running in the multi-driver lanes to do both their champ runs and X-runs during the same group. For the upcoming event, I'd like to be able to run in SK1 (last run group) and also do X-runs if this is still allowed. If not, I can just switch to AS to do my champ runs earlier.
It's not in the SuppRegs because it's up to the individual event chairs. They even have the option to not allow any. While the general procedure is to not allow in the same group, it is done at times. X-Runs are at the mercy of how the event is going. Running late? No more X-Runs, give refunds. Low turn out? Allow X-Runs in the same group. The whole thing is purposely flexible to give the Event Chair some control.
Greg Peng

Post by Greg Peng »

So I should find out at registration sign-in what's available before making changes?
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director

Post by Rick Brown »

Greg Peng wrote:So I should find out at registration sign-in what's available before making changes?
Email the Event Chair (KJ), it's up to him.
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Greg ... no Friday Practice for you ? Did you get everything installed ? which tires did you end up with ?
Greg Peng

Post by Greg Peng »

I have other plans on Friday. I have the suspension and alignment done. The Kumhos are backordered everywhere. My local tire shop said that Kumho probably wound down production for the holidays, and it could be 4-6 weeks or even until early 2009 before the tires are back in stock. I'm on Dunlop Z1 street tires for now.
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

My local tire shop said that Kumho probably wound down production for the holidays
... my understanding is that Kumho, and most tire companies, make batches to last a year or more into the future. Remember the issue with Kumho's that were years old when we bought them from The Tire Rack
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Greg - it is going to depend on the turn out. You may buy at the event if you like. I'll probably do the sticker approach, limiting the number of X runs that are in any particular group and encourage people to take them in later sessions. If turn out is low, the number allowed per group increases. If not, it decreases. And, it might be that one particular group is heavy on normal class cars - that particular group may get fewer X runs allowed.

I just don't see it as too big an issue on Thanksgiving weekend though. Even if Mike builds his 1.5mile course.

Flexibility....

On edit: Heck, depending on the turn out, I may encourage second sets of x runs.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

I have other plans on Friday.
Try to get her to do the Ladies School! :thumbup:
Greg Peng

Post by Greg Peng »

What are you talking about? :mrt:

I'll likely be playing golf and recovering from a day of gorging.
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

:computer: :computer: :computer: :mrgreen:
Jeff Stuart
King of Fastrack!

Post by Jeff Stuart »

Alrighty, I'm digging this thread up again because I have another question about X Runs. At the Dec. 13th even I was deciding when to run my X runs and mentioned that I might run them in the last run group. I was quickly told that there are no X runs in the last run group. I was wondering why that is, and if that is a normal rule. It was before the event even started so I don't think they could've already known how the day was going to go.

Thanks for the help!
Last edited by Jeff Stuart on Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Q V
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 69

Post by Q V »

I think it's just up to the club hosting (total # of x-runs available & when the last x-run will be). I wasn't there but I guess it might have had something to do with the wet weather, short daylight, and last event of the year -> holidays.

If you are allowed to run the last group, you'd just line up in the multi-driver line.
Anthony Munoz
Car#: 50

Post by Anthony Munoz »

Axware used to let me add a second registration for "X" runs but no longer allows me to do it. Would anyone know how to fix this?

Now it says:
"I have 1 registration(s) for this event (of 1 permitted)"

:?

Tony
Last edited by Anthony Munoz on Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Smooth is fast, but fast is quicker"
Jeff Stuart
King of Fastrack!

Post by Jeff Stuart »

They're not accepting online pre-registration of x runs anymore. All x runs must be purchased on Sunday at the event. They're first come first serve.
Anthony Munoz
Car#: 50

Post by Anthony Munoz »

Jeff Stuart wrote:They're not accepting online pre-registration of x runs anymore. All x runs must be purchased on Sunday at the event. They're first come first serve.
Thanks, Jeff.

Tony
"Smooth is fast, but fast is quicker"