General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 82

Re: Cougar Replacement

Post by Leonard Cachola »

Doug Kott wrote:Those first-gen G35s have crazy power oversteer with the traction control switched off.
Drove a Coupe on Saturday and, yup, definitely still has crazy power oversteer. :)
Last edited by Leonard Cachola on Sat May 08, 2010 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Leonard Cachola
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator
Kurt Rahn
Club: CASOC
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Doug Kott wrote:Those first-gen G35s have crazy power oversteer with the traction control switched off. Drove a friend's once at an auto-x, and it was pretty much undriveable!

Of course, with the right tweaks...

--Doug
I drove a sedan the first year and a half I autocrossed (in SK2, no less), and I'll attest that even if you looked funny at the accelerator you'd spin the rear wheels. On the plus side, it came with an LSD, so if you learn to modulate the throttle properly, the car could be pretty fast, despite all the pork. I learned a lot about throttle control. I actually prefer the first-gen models to the second gen. My car only weighed about 100 lbs more than Charley Hoyt's Corvette when we weighed them both at the Pro last year.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Doug Kott
Car#: 300

Post by Doug Kott »

The G35 I drove had the stock all-season rim protectors, which I'm sure had a lot to do with it! Impressive car for the most part...not the most refined, but excellent torque, response and fun to drive in a toss-and-catch style.
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Club: No$
Car#: 6

Post by Mike Simanyi »

Bob Beamesderfer wrote:How about an M Coupe?
Nah, they suck! }:)
Dan Shaw
Car#: 427

Post by Dan Shaw »

Bob Beamesderfer wrote:The NISMO has a stiffer unit body than the regular 350, but that's all moot for the reasons Jason stated.

How about an M Coupe? OK, that probably blows the tire budget.

+ 1 for the m coupe! Friend if mine had a tweaked m roadster....WOW that was fun!
2017 MX-5 - #427 ???
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

It's been a few months ... Chad S. might be selling his ;)
Curt Luther
Club: PSCC
Car#: 9
Location: Lookin' in Mike's cooler for "water" ;)...and my underwear

Post by Curt Luther »

Mike Simanyi wrote:
Bob Beamesderfer wrote:How about an M Coupe?
Nah, they're always broken! }:)
Fixed... :)
Rev. Dr. Curtis J. Luther, Esq., M.D.
Jack Tsou
Car#: 8

Post by Jack Tsou »

06 Evo 9 RS or
06 Evo 9 Special Edition

and when you're bored with SK1, you can move up to AS, STU, BSP, SM... depending on your budget.
Jeff Stuart
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 13

Post by Jeff Stuart »

What are everyone's opinions on RX-8s? I test drove one, I liked it, I like the looks, it's got a usable back seat, it sounds cool, and it's relatively cheap. Interested to hear what people say about them, because I feel like I'm settling on the car. Yes, I know the gas mileage sucks, but I'm OK with that.

Plus, it's what McDreamy races, so it has to be the best car ever made, right?
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Good choice ... I was recommending it as Karen's next car. Seems like a nice practical choice for SK1. (What needs to be done to one? Front sway bar? Z1's? What size?)

... but very happy that Karen bought the Vette instead. :D Although a LOT to be said for a car that can be driven to the event and raced as is ...
Jeff Stuart
King of Fastrack!

Post by Jeff Stuart »

Mako Koiwai wrote:Seems like a nice practical choice for SK1.
SK2 actually, it's CS.
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Jeff Stuart wrote:What are everyone's opinions on RX-8s? I test drove one, I liked it, I like the looks, it's got a usable back seat, it sounds cool, and it's relatively cheap. Interested to hear what people say about them, because I feel like I'm settling on the car. Yes, I know the gas mileage sucks, but I'm OK with that.

My only problem with it was I'm too tall and have to cock my head to fit (without a helmet). I don't know how tall you are (my perception of height is digital: if you're not 6"1' or so, you qualify as "short" to me) but I'd make sure there's an inch and a half or so of headroom when you're in a comfortable seating position.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Jeff Stuart
King of Fastrack!

Post by Jeff Stuart »

Kurt Rahn wrote:
Jeff Stuart wrote:What are everyone's opinions on RX-8s? I test drove one, I liked it, I like the looks, it's got a usable back seat, it sounds cool, and it's relatively cheap. Interested to hear what people say about them, because I feel like I'm settling on the car. Yes, I know the gas mileage sucks, but I'm OK with that.

My only problem with it was I'm too tall and have to cock my head to fit (without a helmet). I don't know how tall you are (my perception of height is digital: if you're not 6"1' or so, you qualify as "short" to me) but I'd make sure there's an inch and a half or so of headroom when you're in a comfortable seating position.
5'10", but I'll take my helmet to a test drive to make sure it's OK, thanks for the "heads up".
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Helmet clearance is an issue in almost all sports cars it seems. Where I would LIKE to sit in the Vette even I have issues ... 5'9"

You DON'T want a RX8 w/ sun roof ! That really cuts into your space. Not sure how KJ makes it work?! I'm totally up against the ceiling in his car. I'm guessing the seat could be lowered with it's standard adjustment levers?

When Chad bought his RX7 he didn't try it with helmet ... it had a sun roof. He had to sell it a week later to find one w/o a sun roof. For a while he had two RX7's ...
Mark DeShon
Car#: 113

Post by Mark DeShon »

When I rode as a passenger with Abbott (C5 Vette), I was bouncing off the ceiling pretty good. I'm 6' 2". I think it was the stock seat on the passenger side, but he had some sort of race seat on the driver's side and seemed to be in a lot better shape than I was.
Mark D.
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

One of the reasons to move up a class is to get a decent seat! Being in Henry's ASP Vette with it's racing seat and small steering wheel is a joy.

I rode with Lisa S when she did her first lap in her new/ex-Lynch Z06. It was funny seeing her try to reposition her bum after every corner. Seems like every C5 that is raced has it's left door speaker pushed in from ones knee trying to help brace oneself.
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Mako Koiwai wrote:Good choice ... I was recommending it as Karen's next car. Seems like a nice practical choice for SK1. (What needs to be done to one? Front sway bar? Z1's? What size?)

... but very happy that Karen bought the Vette instead. :D Although a LOT to be said for a car that can be driven to the event and raced as is ...
Just Koni yellows on each corner and a redrilled stock bar. (You can move the hole about an inch.) Don't buy one with a sunroof. The fewer the options the better. A stripper with cloth seats would be great.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Car#: 82

Post by Leonard Cachola »

Drove a bone-stock one for a couple of laps at Evo Phase III on R-comps last year and loved it! Felt and drove like a bigger, softer Miata.
~Leonard Cachola
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Jeff Stuart wrote:5'10", but I'll take my helmet to a test drive to make sure it's OK, thanks for the "heads up".
One more tip: if you're buying new, don't test drive with your helmet at the dealer you're actually buying from. That's a warranty red flag ;)
==============
Kristoffer Gjevre

Post by Kristoffer Gjevre »

Mako Koiwai wrote:One of the reasons to move up a class is to get a decent seat! Being in Henry's ASP Vette with it's racing seat and small steering wheel is a joy.

I rode with Lisa S when she did her first lap in her new/ex-Lynch Z06. It was funny seeing her try to reposition her bum after every corner. Seems like every C5 that is raced has it's left door speaker pushed in from ones knee trying to help brace oneself.
C6 has a lot more space for tall drivers than the C5 and was a major reason for selling the 2002 Z06 I had...
Dan Shaw
Car#: 427

Post by Dan Shaw »

Have to say, driving my sister's RX8 I had the hardest time not winding it up to 9k and smacking the limiter. the engine is so buttery smooth it's hard to adjust to. Takes a bit of time before you realize where the rev counter stops. Good car though, punchey, and handled pretty well. Prepare for a shocker at the pump though! MPG is not for the weak of wallet.
2017 MX-5 - #427 ???
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Does the RX8 ecu respond to higher octane levels?
Mark DeShon
Car#: 113

Post by Mark DeShon »

Okay, we're six pages in. Am I gonna have to be the one to say it? You're totally screwed, Jeff! We're no help at all! You're on your own! We'll suggest everything on the planet and you'll be right back where you started! haha. }:)
Mark D.
Will Kalman
Club: PSCC
Car#: 232

Post by Will Kalman »

Kurt Rahn wrote:One more tip: if you're buying new, don't test drive with your helmet at the dealer you're actually buying from. That's a warranty red flag ;)
Just go in to the showroom Stig-like, silently sit in the car refusing to speak, then walk out. Then go back to your car and get in your street clothes and go back into the showroom.
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Dan Shaw wrote: Prepare for a shocker at the pump though! MPG is not for the weak of wallet.
Yeah, it can be bad. In mixed driving I got 18mpg before modding it. Now about 17 with quite exhaust and still 18 with loud exhaust. :lol: About the same as my E46 M3. :( Highway is very dependent on speed.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins