Cougar Replacement

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Jason Isley BS RX8
Car#: 0

Re: Cougar Replacement

Post by Jason Isley BS RX8 »

Jeff Stuart wrote: I was planning on Z1s, but I'm trying to decide what wheels to get before I order the tires. I think I'm going to give the Cougar one more go at divisional, I'd really like to get a practice in before I do championship runs in the RX-8.
The Rota P1 is the least expensive light wheel you can get for the RX-8.

I know KJ has a set sitting in his garage...

18x8, +48mm offset, 67.1 hub, 19.2lbs, $750. You will spend double that to get into the 18lb range, and around $2k for the 17lb stuff, if you can find them.

http://www.wheeldude.com/catalog/index. ... b4e0420d84" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Aaron Goldsmith
Club: CASOC
Car#: 32

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

Jeff Stuart wrote:
Mako Koiwai wrote:What's your schedule for proper tires? Z1's ... I think that's what KJ likes ... although perhaps those new Hankooks are even better. Cheaper ?
I was planning on Z1s, but I'm trying to decide what wheels to get before I order the tires. I think I'm going to give the Cougar one more go at divisional, I'd really like to get a practice in before I do championship runs in the RX-8.
You could just bring it to the test and tune on the Friday before the divisional.
Kristoffer Gjevre

Post by Kristoffer Gjevre »

Mako Koiwai wrote: Image

Sharp! Looking forward to seeing you slinging it around. What's your schedule for proper tires? Z1's ... I think that's what KJ likes ... although perhaps those new Hankooks are even better. Cheaper ?
Mako Koiwai wrote: Has the latest RX8 body been redesigned? There is a brand new one parked down the street and it seems lower and sleeker
Not to sidetrack this, but 2010:

only minor tweaks... doors and rear fender looks to be unchanged...
Jeff Stuart
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 13

Post by Jeff Stuart »

Jason Isley BS RX8 wrote: The Rota P1 is the least expensive light wheel you can get for the RX-8.

I know KJ has a set sitting in his garage...

18x8, +48mm offset, 67.1 hub, 19.2lbs, $750. You will spend double that to get into the 18lb range, and around $2k for the 17lb stuff, if you can find them.

http://www.wheeldude.com/catalog/index. ... b4e0420d84" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Those are the ones on top of my list right now, since you recommended them earlier in this thread.
Jeff Stuart
King of Fastrack!

Post by Jeff Stuart »

Rick Brown wrote: Practice this weekend at AAA Speedway.............. :D
Isn't that on the full track?

EDIT: just saw Mako's post...
Last edited by Jeff Stuart on Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron Goldsmith
Car#: 32

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

Jeff Stuart wrote:
Rick Brown wrote: Practice this weekend at AAA Speedway.............. :D
Isn't that on the full track?

EDIT: just saw Mako's post...
Mako got word that it's Full.
Mark DeShon
Car#: 113

Post by Mark DeShon »

Jeff Stuart wrote:
Mako Koiwai wrote:What's your schedule for proper tires? Z1's ... I think that's what KJ likes ... although perhaps those new Hankooks are even better. Cheaper ?
I think I'm going to give the Cougar one more go at divisional, I'd really like to get a practice in before I do championship runs in the RX-8.
Oh, come on. That's what HWY 39 was built for! }:)
Mark D.
Jeff Stuart
King of Fastrack!

Post by Jeff Stuart »

Mark DeShon wrote: Oh, come on. That's what HWY 39 was built for! }:)
Mark D.
Yeah, I think I'll just show up to the test and tune on Friday and run the RX-8 at divisional. Crappy street tires and all. They're not horrible I guess, Kumho SPTs...
Doug Kott
Car#: 300

Post by Doug Kott »

It's always nice to do a run with the as-purchased, dead-stock car, because then you fully appreciate the effects of the modifications. Good baseline info!

--Doug
Jeff Stuart
King of Fastrack!

Post by Jeff Stuart »

Jason Isley BS RX8 wrote: The Rota P1 is the least expensive light wheel you can get for the RX-8.
Any thoughts on the TRMotorsports C2?
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelClo ... howRear=no

Edit: I like the looks more with them, they're cheaper, and I can order them from TireRack (obviously since thee make them) and help CSCC out. Perhaps slightly heavier.
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Pretty ... like my favorite SSR's ...
Nicole Wong
Car#: 46

Post by Nicole Wong »

Jeff Stuart wrote:
Any thoughts on the TRMotorsports C2?

Edit: I like the looks more with them, they're cheaper, and I can order them from TireRack (obviously since thee make them) and help CSCC out. Perhaps slightly heavier.

If you get the TRMotorsport wheels, you'd be my twin :D

Well almost (TRMotorsport C3),
Nicole Wong
ProParts USA
Jason Isley BS RX8
Car#: 0

Post by Jason Isley BS RX8 »

Jeff Stuart wrote: Any thoughts on the TRMotorsports C2?

It is a good looking wheel, as Mako said its an SSR Comp clone. I think it would make a great street wheel, and nearly bought a set myself at one time. But there are two things I don't like about it for solo... They are not that light, only about 1.5lbs lighter than stock, and they are gravity cast. Due to its weight and mass it would likely be fine, but for my car I would spend a few $$$ more to get the lighter low-pressure cast P1. I know of one person who has used the C2 for solo on an RX-8, and he had no problems. *Most of the TR Motorsports wheels are actually made by Enkei, but not the C2. :(

Check http://www.rx8club.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; there are often used wheels on there.
Robert Puertas
Club: PSCC
Car#: 44

Post by Robert Puertas »

The C3's on Nicole's car look terrific.
Don Salyers
Club: No$
Car#: 42

Post by Don Salyers »

Jeff, I bought some Team Dynamics rims a couple of years ago for my Mustang. Just went out to their shop in Ontario and talked to guy named Don and he ordered a special set of 17 x 8's and I got them about a month later, the black ones Pro Race 1.2, cost was $200 each.

http://www.teamdynamicsracing.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don
Jeff Stuart
King of Fastrack!

Post by Jeff Stuart »

So, what's the deal with hub centric vs. lug centric. Does anyone have any strong opinions on whether or not I should worry about getting spacers?
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 397

Post by Sebastian Rios »

If the wheels aren't hubcentric, I like to use rings. Ken says hub rings are for pussies though. :lol:
Jason Munchhof
Car#: 808

Post by Jason Munchhof »

Congrats on the RX8 purchase. FYI, I have a set of the original 18x8 SSR comps that I might be willing to part with, but they will be more $$$ than the TR or Rotas.
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Jeff Stuart wrote:Does anyone have any strong opinions on whether or not I should worry about getting spacers?
The plus with spacers is you can increase the track a little bit over stock. It wouldn't be as significant an upgrade as wheels/tires, a lighter exhaust or double adjustable shocks, but it's also a relatively cheap/easy mod.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Jeff Stuart
King of Fastrack!

Post by Jeff Stuart »

Kurt Rahn wrote: The plus with spacers is you can increase the track a little bit over stock.
What does "increase the track" mean.
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Jeff Stuart wrote:
Kurt Rahn wrote: The plus with spacers is you can increase the track a little bit over stock.
What does "increase the track" mean.
track width. running spacers widens that end. Stock class rules require wheels to be within 1/4" of stock offset, so you have a little to play with. I'm not sure if you are required to run the same offset on each end. If not, you could use spacers to effect handling by widening or narrowing the front/rear track width.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Jeff Stuart
King of Fastrack!

Post by Jeff Stuart »

Are spacers and hub rings different things? I think I was referring to whether or not I should run hub rings if the bore of the wheels I end up getting is larger than the hub.
Bob Beamesderfer

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Hub rings fill the space in the bore for wheels that have a larger bore than what's on the car. Depending on the wheel and hub, the difference might not be enough to run a ring.

Spacers increase the width of the track. Some people use them only on one end.
Doug Kott
Car#: 300

Post by Doug Kott »

Spacers are just thin metal discs drilled with holes that correspond to the wheel studs. They slip over the studs, sandwiched between the hub and wheel. Typically their thickness is measured in mm. If the spacer is too thick, you may need to fit longer studs, because the increased width means fewer lug nut threads engaged with the stud, which can sometimes lead to failure.
Jeff Stuart
King of Fastrack!

Post by Jeff Stuart »

Yeah, I'm not planning to use spacers, but I figured that's what they were. I was more interested in opinions on hub rings, and if they're needed. Thus far I have one tally in the "I like them" column, and one tally in the "they're for pussies" column.