Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Club: CASOC
Car#: 15

iPad

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

So many technophiles here....

Stacey is considering an iPad for me as a Fathers' Day gift.

I know nothing. I figured I'd not get one in this lifetime so I ignored the talk. I'm rarely an early adopter of technology.

But... Its intriguing. A kindle reader with a cool colorful screen, lots of apps, and the net. Cool. Expensive.

There are three memory levels as I understand it with pretty big price diffs. Is memory the only difference? How much memory is needed for a "lowend" user?
WiFi only, is it livable? Any chance I could tether it to my blackberry like a do my laptop when not in range of wifi? I get access to all ATT hotspots now as part of Uverse.

Anybody know about Jailbreaking your iPad? (so I can bluetooth tether).

Can you playback video off a camera or sd card? Any ports/slots or just wireless? Edit... I know about the camera connector. Okay, so will it play my gopro video files?

Any relevant apps for autocross?

Why would I want such a thing other to watch my stocks go down or play electronic sodoku?
Last edited by Steve Ekstrand on Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Re: iPad

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

There is a camera connection accessory.
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tethering can maybe done with my blackberry. But not using my current tetherberry app.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Kinda confused by this...

H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats;
MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats;

That is what the iPad will play.

My goproherohd says its MPEG-4. But I know it needs the h.264 codec in vista. So, it would seem the H.264 video specs apply. I want to be able to use 720P, that's what I record in for wide angle.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Max Hayter
Car#: 31

Post by Max Hayter »

Tethering is going to be your big problem I think. Wi-Fi only.

Now, if you have a Sprint phone (EVO 4G) that can broadcast wi-fi hotspots, I know that works very well.

The Ipad can come with cellular service, but you would then need to pay for an Unlimited data AT&T plan.

I played with one in the Apple store. No doubt it is very slick and a joy to use. Perfect for stock watching during the day!
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Greg Peng
Club: PSCC
Car#: 908

Post by Greg Peng »

Max Hayter wrote:but you would then need to pay for an Unlimited data AT&T plan.
... which is no longer available. You'd have to get a tiered 3G data plan: 250MB for $15 or 2GB for $25.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Greg Peng wrote:
Max Hayter wrote:but you would then need to pay for an Unlimited data AT&T plan.
... which is no longer available. You'd have to get a tiered 3G data plan: 250MB for $15 or 2GB for $25.

Yeah, they ended it June 7th. I wish she had said something a week earlier. 2gb a month sounds really low, but I have no idea???

An air card and a mifi or similar device is another option. Would work with both the laptop and the iPad and I could just leave it in the briefcase. A walking hotspot! But what? $60 a month I think? That's a little rich. I wonder if I could write it off against investment gains? Assuming I ever see gains again (on an annual basis....making a bmw today after losing a Ferrari the past month).
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Bob Beamesderfer

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Randy Chase just got his. Knowing Randy, he'll have it all worked out before its a day old.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

My biggest holdup right now is internet access. The majority of times I'd want the net, I wouldn't be near a hotspot. The $25 a month isn't bad, but 2.5 gigs seems so small... I guess to minimize usage to use the wifi when you can and just use the 3G when you have to... But ATT 3G...UGH!

I have a friend with a small regional venture capital firm that is using the iPad's in place of laptops. They use java based office compatible software in the cloud. The iPad is great for his pitches and presentations. Way more elegant that popping open the big high end laptop. I think the thought was presentations and conversation piece. But he's doing all his work on it too with the cloud apps.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Jeff Stuart
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 13

Post by Jeff Stuart »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:My biggest holdup right now is internet access. The majority of times I'd want the net, I wouldn't be near a hotspot. The $25 a month isn't bad, but 2.5 gigs seems so small... I guess to minimize usage to use the wifi when you can and just use the 3G when you have to... But ATT 3G...UGH!
Depends on what you're going to use it for. If you're going to be watching youtube videos and streaming podcasts all day (or streaming Netflix movies if you have Netflix), it will be a problem. If all you're going to do is play games, watch stocks, and browse the net with the occasional video mixed in, you'll be fine. I consider my self a moderate data user with my iPhone, and the most I've ever used in a month was 450MBs. Also, they have ways to monitor your monthly usage, so you can look and see how you're doing as the month goes along if you're worried about it.
Max Hayter
Car#: 31

Post by Max Hayter »

Jeff Stuart wrote:
Steve Ekstrand wrote:My biggest holdup right now is internet access. The majority of times I'd want the net, I wouldn't be near a hotspot. The $25 a month isn't bad, but 2.5 gigs seems so small... I guess to minimize usage to use the wifi when you can and just use the 3G when you have to... But ATT 3G...UGH!
Depends on what you're going to use it for. If you're going to be watching youtube videos and streaming podcasts all day (or streaming Netflix movies if you have Netflix), it will be a problem. If all you're going to do is play games, watch stocks, and browse the net with the occasional video mixed in, you'll be fine. I consider my self a moderate data user with my iPhone, and the most I've ever used in a month was 450MBs. Also, they have ways to monitor your monthly usage, so you can look and see how you're doing as the month goes along if you're worried about it.
Also, remember that data over WiFi does not could against that limit.

Most I ever used in a month was 200MB!
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
John Stimson
Car#: 124

Post by John Stimson »

My friend who has a wifi-only iPad also has a little black box from Verizon which acts as a cellular broadband gateway. It's a wifi hub with a cellular internet connection. Just press the on button and you have instant internet for your iPad or laptop.

The iPad has a sweet pinball game. And it's actually possible to play the Ninja Ropes clone on a touchscreen that size (sucked on the iPhone).
Jeff Stuart
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 13

Post by Jeff Stuart »

John Stimson wrote:My friend who has a wifi-only iPad also has a little black box from Verizon which acts as a cellular broadband gateway. It's a wifi hub with a cellular internet connection. Just press the on button and you have instant internet for your iPad or laptop.
That's the $60 a month option that was mentioned a little earlier. They're nice, but expensive.
Bob Beamesderfer

Jeff Stuart wrote:
John Stimson wrote:My friend who has a wifi-only iPad also has a little black box from Verizon which acts as a cellular broadband gateway. It's a wifi hub with a cellular internet connection. Just press the on button and you have instant internet for your iPad or laptop.
That's the $60 a month option that was mentioned a little earlier. They're nice, but expensive.
I think T-Mobile has something similar.
Bill Martin
Club: GRA
Car#: 74

Post by Bill Martin »

Excellent -- I was hoping someone was discussing IPads. I'm in the market too. Probably the 3G/64. So someone tell me if I'm screwing up here:

I expect to only use it away from home. #1 will be on occasional off-road expeditions where I'm towing my Jeep around the southwest. The IPad will host my topo atlas's and I understand it has a built-in GPS which hopefully will interface with my mapping software. Plus with 3G I can download trail info from the locals and such as I move from area to area. I understand I may not be able to print out trailmaps (don't have a portable printer anyway), but if I can display them, should be good enough.

#2 is for travel to Nationals and such. Checking my email, finding restaurants or specific stores or shops in unfamiliar towns etc.

One advantage is apparently I can start and stop the 3G subscription at will and on line with the IPad. And it's only $15 for 250MB which is half what I'd pay with a Verizon Netbook and broadband. Plus it's not practical to start and stop the Verizon subscription and may involve a $25 activation fee unless they waive it which they do sometimes. So in other words I can turn it on for September when I go to Lincoln and back off again after. Seems like that will save some coin, but then the IPad is much more costly than the broadband-contract Notebooks so who knows where the trade-off is?

So for those who know, is the above stuff prettymuch right? Anything else I should know or consider before I break out the plastic?

Thanx, Bill
Robert Puertas
Car#: 44

Post by Robert Puertas »

Just got mine yesterday.

I believe all of your assumptions are correct and your goals seem pretty doable.
Do you have an iPhone?

I wonder if there might be some apps that will be improvements on the programs you are currently using.

I have unfortunately discovered a game called Angry Birds which is ridiculously addictive.

Have fun!
Christine Grice
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 17

Post by Christine Grice »

Robert Puertas wrote:Angry Birds which is ridiculously addictive.
The guy in the cube next to me let me play this on his new iphone and he almost didn't get it back.
~Christine Grice
2006 Mitsubishi Evolution, Berry Family Racing/Hoosier/ChaseCam
Bill Martin

Post by Bill Martin »

No, no iPhone -- I'm a Verizon user. Why did you ask?

Robert, a couple questions. Screen work okay in a car in bright sunlite? My current travel laptop I practically have to drape a towel over my head & screen. And second, does it seem durable enough to travel in a Jeep? I don't expect to have it out and in use while thundering over washboard, but still...a Jeep is a rough ride -- and lotsa dust. It will probably travel in it's case, wrapped in a terry hand towel, and then in a zippered plastic portfolio bag. No room for a lot of bulky packaging. It will get knocked about on occasion.
Bob Beamesderfer

A terry towl is cheaper, but this looks pretty cool:

http://www.otterbox.com/ipad-cases/ipad ... ries-case/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Robert Puertas

Post by Robert Puertas »

Bill
I'll try to test the sunlight thing this afternoon.
It seems pretty stout. And I think the right case will solve most of your concerns about dust and bounce.
Thomas Smith
Car#: 158

Post by Thomas Smith »

Robert Puertas wrote:I have unfortunately discovered a game called Angry Birds which is ridiculously addictive.

Have fun!
Damn you Robert Puertas...... now you've got me addicted!
Thomas Smith
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

If anyone else has questions about the iPad and what it can and can't do, here's a pretty comprehensive article:

http://www.macworld.com/article/150330/ ... eview.html
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Robert Puertas

Post by Robert Puertas »

LOL @ Tom
Robert Puertas

Post by Robert Puertas »

Bill Martin wrote:No, no iPhone -- I'm a Verizon user. Why did you ask?

Robert, a couple questions. Screen work okay in a car in bright sunlite? My current travel laptop I practically have to drape a towel over my head & screen. And second, does it seem durable enough to travel in a Jeep? I don't expect to have it out and in use while thundering over washboard, but still...a Jeep is a rough ride -- and lotsa dust. It will probably travel in it's case, wrapped in a terry hand towel, and then in a zippered plastic portfolio bag. No room for a lot of bulky packaging. It will get knocked about on occasion.
I asked about the iphone because i was curious if you had any experience with the app store.

I'm standing outside right now with the sun shining right on the screen while i type this. Its a non-issue.

Durability seems very good. The 5 year old has been playing with it for more than 24 hours without doing in damage.
Kristoffer Gjevre

Post by Kristoffer Gjevre »

Bill Martin wrote:Excellent -- I was hoping someone was discussing IPads. I'm in the market too. Probably the 3G/64. So someone tell me if I'm screwing up here:

I expect to only use it away from home. #1 will be on occasional off-road expeditions where I'm towing my Jeep around the southwest. The IPad will host my topo atlas's and I understand it has a built-in GPS which hopefully will interface with my mapping software. Plus with 3G I can download trail info from the locals and such as I move from area to area. I understand I may not be able to print out trailmaps (don't have a portable printer anyway), but if I can display them, should be good enough.

>The IPad will host my topo atlas
Unless that is a iPod/iPhone/iPad version you will need to get a new version from iTunes, if there is one.

>built-in GPS which hopefully will interface with my mapping software
Again, unless that is iPod/iPhone/iPad version, you will need to get a new version from iTunes, if there is one.

apple.com:
* Digital compass
* Assisted GPS (Wi-Fi + 3G model)
* Cellular (Wi-Fi + 3G model)
The iPhone/iPad does not have standalone GPS like the Magellan or Garmin units, it is assisted and usually requires a cell or wifi signal to get started.
I have not researched this or even tried it out in the wilderness with no cell signal, but if I turn my iPhone to Airplane Mode and then go to the the built in (Google) Maps app I get the message "Turn Off Airplane Mode or Use Wi-Fi to Access Data" and clicking OK results in the message "Your location could not be determined", and no maps are downloaded (but in your case you would already have the maps on the iPad), so how well the iPad GPS will work out in the wilderness will depend on if you have any cell or wifi signal I think.

Has anyone here looked into this?
Bill Martin

Post by Bill Martin »

Oops...I've been thinking of the iPad as just another variety of computer. Which it really isn't. If I can't get software like Topo USA or the NatGeo state series, this isn't going to work. That Verizon Netbook just got looking much better.