iPad

Read at your own risk.

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Craig Naylor
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 80

Re: iPad

Post by Craig Naylor »

Bill Martin wrote:That Verizon Netbook just got looking much better.
Though more expensive than a netbook, I can attest to the durability of these:

http://store.shopfujitsu.com/fpc/Ecomme ... ries=T4410" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Titanium case capable of withstanding the weight of 1 Shilling Heating and pluming van driving over it. (though the monitor did incur a fatal pinch in the LCD. The laptop case and all hardware survived the ordeal with NO damage.

The do sell less expensive ones, but their made of plastic cases like most other laptops/net-books/ipads on the market.

Additionally an "outdoor screen exists, which is readable in full sunlight.

Grab yourself a an android phone and download one of the multiple programs than enable it's hotspot capabilities, and just tether to a laptop.

Craig
Ron Horn
Club: CASOC

Post by Ron Horn »

I have a 3G 16 iPad and use it daily,
I got the 3G so I could turn it on when on vacation,
For the extra $129 it seemed good to have the capability
Bill Martin
Club: GRA
Car#: 74

Post by Bill Martin »

Looked over the available apps and decided it would probably work. Picked up a 3G/64 yesterday and so far so good. 3G seems kinda slow compared to my 'low-speed" option DSL. Fine for surfing, but probably not good for downloading numerous maps at 10Mb ea. But for the most part I should be able to pre-load at home before setting out. Nice toy...pretty lightweight for being made of solid gold.
Kristoffer Gjevre

Post by Kristoffer Gjevre »

What mapping program did you get?
I am looking for one that I can pre-download maps for Norway with to take on my vacation...
Bill Martin
Club: GRA
Car#: 74

Post by Bill Martin »

Probably not what you need. I got Topo for iPad for off road use. But the built in Maps app does cover Norway down to major streets.
Kristoffer Gjevre

Ah, ok, the topo app, yes that is not really what I need.
The built in app downloads maps as you go, so since I was not planning to pay for 3G/cell data while in Norway that will not work, as I will only have free wifi where available.
Max Hayter
Car#: 31

Post by Max Hayter »

Kristoffer Gjevre wrote:Ah, ok, the topo app, yes that is not really what I need.
The built in app downloads maps as you go, so since I was not planning to pay for 3G/cell data while in Norway that will not work, as I will only have free wifi where available.
Tom Tom? I know they have an app.
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Christine Grice
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 17

Post by Christine Grice »

Max Hayter wrote: Tom Tom? I know they have an app.
only worth it if it talks like Yoda:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdcJVuylmsM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
~Christine Grice
2006 Mitsubishi Evolution, Berry Family Racing/Hoosier/ChaseCam
Kristoffer Gjevre

Yeah, that is an option, as is Copilot Live that a friend suggested, but since I will not really be using the fancy nav features, they are kind of overkill, as I just want to look at the map (and hopefully get my position as well, although that may not work if there is no wifi and no paid for cell data plan)
Bob Beamesderfer
Club: PSCC

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Kristoffer Gjevre wrote:Ah, ok, the topo app, yes that is not really what I need.
Yeah, you don't to data roaming charge$$$$ :shock:
Bob Beamesderfer

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Christine Berry wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdcJVuylmsM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's a licensing idea I wouldn't have come up with.
Jeff Shyu
Car#: 0

Post by Jeff Shyu »

i'm personally still more willing to drop the money on a kindle than an ipad, but then, i'm mostly interested in the book part, not the gadgetry.

actually, time to do some price check on craigslist. wonder if the kindle DX prices have come down now that ipad is more popular.
Max Hayter
Car#: 31

Post by Max Hayter »

Jeff Shyu wrote:i'm personally still more willing to drop the money on a kindle than an ipad, but then, i'm mostly interested in the book part, not the gadgetry.

actually, time to do some price check on craigslist. wonder if the kindle DX prices have come down now that ipad is more popular.
Kindle is available on Andriod now - anyone tried it?
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Robert Puertas
Car#: 44

Post by Robert Puertas »

I've done the Kindle thing on my iPhone. Works fine. Not nearly as annoying as you'd think on the tiny screen.
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Christine Berry wrote:
Vader FTW!
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Jeff Shyu

Post by Jeff Shyu »

Robert Puertas wrote:I've done the Kindle thing on my iPhone. Works fine. Not nearly as annoying as you'd think on the tiny screen.
>_<

^that's how i imagine my eyes would feel after reading for any prolonged period of time on an iphone size screen.
Greg Peng
Car#: 908

Post by Greg Peng »

Max Hayter wrote:
Jeff Shyu wrote:i'm personally still more willing to drop the money on a kindle than an ipad, but then, i'm mostly interested in the book part, not the gadgetry.

Kindle is available on Andriod now - anyone tried it?

Just tried it now - there are some free books available. I think if I were going to read for an extended period of time, I'd lower my screen's brightness first or use the black background + white text mode (both adjustable within the Kindle app).
Robert Puertas

Post by Robert Puertas »

Kurt Rahn wrote:
Christine Berry wrote:
Vader FTW!
My old school TomTom GPS has John Cleese trapped inside it.
Too difficult to understand, Yoda or Darth Vader might be.
Jeff Shyu

Post by Jeff Shyu »

so over the past week, i picked up a kindle DX (absolutely love it, regret not getting one sooner) - easy to read on, pretty sure i read faster on it too. the only draw back, if you consider it one, is that it's basically only a reader - but it does it VERY WELL.

also picked up a ipod touch (nano died) - having never had a touchscreen type phone, this was a bit weird adjusting to it, but i can see why people like their iphone.

whoever mentioned Angry Birds.. i hate you. :evil:
Robert Puertas

Post by Robert Puertas »

Jeff Shyu wrote:so over the past week, i picked up a kindle DX (absolutely love it, regret not getting one sooner) - easy to read on, pretty sure i read faster on it too. the only draw back, if you consider it one, is that it's basically only a reader - but it does it VERY WELL.

also picked up a ipod touch (nano died) - having never had a touchscreen type phone, this was a bit weird adjusting to it, but i can see why people like their iphone.

whoever mentioned Angry Birds.. i hate you. :evil:
Angry Birds! }:)

Agree, the Kindle is just a reader, but that may be it's greatest strength. When I'm reading, it's nice to not be interrupted by a an email.