Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Norman Kung

Re: Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

Post by Norman Kung »

Ah, gotcha. And do I need an SCCA points card to be in the running, or is that a separate matter?
George Schilling
Club Representative
Club: CASOC
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Max Hayter wrote:
Norman Kung wrote:So if I put down Class - "California Street Tire" and PAX - "Novice" what happens? I'm not too sure how the points/awards/trophies/whatever system works...
Your time will be multiplied by the CST PAX. Other novices will have their times multiplied by their class PAX.
You think it's confusing in the beginning........wait til you've done this awhile.

Norman, at this point in your learning curve, it really doesn't matter when you run. But you're right in that if you want to be technically correct, California Street Tire is where you should run. However, it's too late to compete for the novice class season trophy and your carbon fiber hood puts you in class where you won't be competitive anyway. I suggest you come out, have some fun, make some friends, and then figure out how you and your car fits in. When you decide to get serious, you'll figure it out.

And no question is too simple. We all started at the beginning, just like you so we understand the confusion. Just come out and have some fun.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Norman Kung

Post by Norman Kung »

George Schilling wrote: Just come out and have some fun.
Good enough for me :D Thanks again.

See you guys on Sunday.
Thomas Kendall

Post by Thomas Kendall »

Hi, I have a Factory Five GTM, with a 2002 LS6 and a Porsche G50. That is midengine. The brakes are upgraded but the suspension is stock for corvette/FFR. There is no variable electronic traction control, but there is ABS that can be disabled. I have street tires at the moment.

I have to pull the motor, and I am considering putting a stock cam back in. Would that make a difference, and what class(es) could I/that car be eligible for as a novice if any other than prepared class X. It looks like none not even Super Stock or ASP?

Car #825
Tom Kendall :?
Last edited by Thomas Kendall on Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert Puertas
Club: PSCC
Car#: 44

Post by Robert Puertas »

The FF GTM is eligible for XP on a national level. You can run full slicks in that class.
Locally we have a class called CST that allows anything "street licensable" running on street tires (140 tread wear or higher).

The drivetrain is basically wide open in either class, as is the suspension.

XP has a minimum weight based on displacement, but without slicks and alot of development, you probably don't need to be too concerned about anyone caring if you're running a little light...
Do you know what you weigh?
Assuming a stock displacement LS6 of 5665cc, you're looking at a minimum weight of 2450lbs. + 50lbs. for the ABS.

Join the fun in CST. There's a bunch of great folks running there. Just don't be too bummed when the guy with the bone stock MR2 Spyder beats you! :-)
Thomas Kendall

Post by Thomas Kendall »

I got weighed with me and and a fairly full (18.5G or less) tank(s) of gas inside at 2753, but I have added a tiny weight since in oil cooler lines, grilles and the like. I figure me and the gas at somewhere north of 316 pounds. Motor is 5.7 LS6.

tk
Thomas Kendall

Post by Thomas Kendall »

so 1200 Base+ (5.7 Liters * 220)+50 for ABS =2504 minimum for Class X, which I am over (with gas in the car anyways)
and no one cares in that class about a cam probably?

but dry I am as low as 2438 (probably more like 2450), so I might have to disconnect ABS, which I probably would want to do anyways...

how does gas enter into weight?
Robert Puertas

Post by Robert Puertas »

The internet says the actual displacement of a LS6 is 5,665cc...

At a Divisional, National Tour, Pro Solo or the National Championships, you'd be weighed directly after your 3rd run, or your co-driver's 3rd run, whichever is later. You cannot add fuel or any other weight after your 3rd run. You can do so before your 3rd run.

XP's minimum weight is without driver.

Unless your ABS is horrible, I'd run it and carry the extra weight. Based on your car's power to weight ratio, 50 lbs. is meaningless. Not flat spotting tires, OTOH is priceless. Also fuel starvation on course is a major bummer. Run the extra gas and the ABS.
Thomas Kendall

Post by Thomas Kendall »

I hope to be with you in CST next year, thanks.
Kris Cho
Club: TCC
Car#: 214

Post by Kris Cho »

What class would my car be in? 05 350z mods: stance coilover, aftermarket adjustable front and rear camber arms, solid compression arm bushing, HR y-pipe (y pipe for 07 model), SS brake and clutch lines, JWT intake, plenum spacer, and PS cooler. I might get a single exhaust in a few month. Please tell me what those letters to tell classes stand for.
Thanks.
05 350z Performance
Christine Grice
King of Fastrack!
Club: CASOC
Car#: 17

Post by Christine Grice »

kris cho wrote:What class would my car be in? 05 350z mods: stance coilover, aftermarket adjustable front and rear camber arms, solid compression arm bushing, HR y-pipe (y pipe for 07 model), SS brake and clutch lines, JWT intake, plenum spacer, and PS cooler. I might get a single exhaust in a few month. Please tell me what those letters to tell classes stand for.
Thanks.
For the meaning of the class letters, start here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It says 2010 but pretty much all the information is good for 2011

I'll let someone better at classing speak up. The PS cooler is tripping me up trying to class your car. I can tell you you don't fit in Stock. Maybe STR, BSP or SSM. Or you can run the local classes CST or CSM.
~Christine Grice
2006 Mitsubishi Evolution, Berry Family Racing/Hoosier/ChaseCam
John Stimson
Car#: 124

Post by John Stimson »

Aftermarket springs are not allowed in Stock classes.

The plenum spacer (a modification of the intake that is downstream of the throttle plate) excludes the car from Street Touring.

Can you describe what a compression arm is? That term seems to be specific to the 350Z / G35 models, and I couldn't find anywhere that showed where on the car the compression arm is. But if it's a suspension element and the solid bushing is made of metal, then that boots you from Street Touring and Street Prepared.

So it's looking like Super Street Modified (Super = 2 seaters), or the local California Street Touring (if you use street tires with 140 or greater tread wear rating) or California Street Modified (with DOT approved tires with less than 140 tread wear rating).
Giovanni Jaramillo

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Norman Kung wrote:Ah, gotcha. And do I need an SCCA points card to be in the running, or is that a separate matter?
Correction. You need an SCCA membership card (which is a national ID number). A points card is a regional-specific matter that applies to accruing points for year-end trophies and/or jacket for your class. Points card is not needed if you don't want to compete for a trophy.
Kris Cho

Post by Kris Cho »

John Stimson wrote:Aftermarket springs are not allowed in Stock classes.

The plenum spacer (a modification of the intake that is downstream of the throttle plate) excludes the car from Street Touring.

Can you describe what a compression arm is? That term seems to be specific to the 350Z / G35 models, and I couldn't find anywhere that showed where on the car the compression arm is. But if it's a suspension element and the solid bushing is made of metal, then that boots you from Street Touring and Street Prepared.

So it's looking like Super Street Modified (Super = 2 seaters), or the local California Street Touring (if you use street tires with 140 or greater tread wear rating) or California Street Modified (with DOT approved tires with less than 140 tread wear rating).
Here's the pic: http://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-susp ... stall.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
is there a difference between runing in super street modified or local california street touring? Local california street touring doesn't seem like i would get a lot of acknowledgement if i win then compared to SSM..
05 350z Performance
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Kris,

I'd suggest coming out to the practice tomorrow. We have a few walk up spots open if you want to drive. If you would rather just see how this whole thing works, you can still come and hitch rides for free.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Kris Cho

Post by Kris Cho »

KJ Christopher wrote:Kris,

I'd suggest coming out to the practice tomorrow. We have a few walk up spots open if you want to drive. If you would rather just see how this whole thing works, you can still come and hitch rides for free.
OMG... you guys have practices only on saturdays? i have a class on every saturday from 9 to 4... :x
05 350z Performance
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

kris cho wrote:

OMG... you guys have practices only on saturdays? i have a class on every saturday from 9 to 4... :x
Then come out on Sunday. Most people start out on championship days, as we are better equipped to help/teach/guide. The practice events aren't.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Kris Cho

Post by Kris Cho »

KJ Christopher wrote:
kris cho wrote:

Then come out on Sunday. Most people start out on championship days, as we are better equipped to help/teach/guide. The practice events aren't.
Just because the title has Championship, feels like i don't belong there haha
I'll try to show up at 7am so that i have more time getting used to the course for the first time. I see that the registration is closed. Is there a BIG possibility that i can walk up and run?
05 350z Performance
Daniel Y.
Club: Team Blew
Car#: 125

Post by Daniel Y. »

kris cho wrote: Just because the title has Championship, feels like i don't belong there haha
I'll try to show up at 7am so that i have more time getting used to the course for the first time. I see that the registration is closed. Is there a BIG possibility that i can walk up and run?
Absolutely! We don't limit the amount of entrants for Champ days since everyone gets a set number of runs. Come on out!
Bill Martin
Club: GRA
Car#: 74

Post by Bill Martin »

Be sure to ask about the novice program. There's a special instructed course walk just for you guys. And ask about instructor runs in your car.
Duane Tomono

Post by Duane Tomono »

Is a catalytic converter required in SM and CST Thanks
John Stimson
Car#: 124

Post by John Stimson »

SM: not needed
CST: I don't think so -- but someone with more local background should confirm or correct this.
Robert Puertas

Post by Robert Puertas »

Duane Tomono wrote:Is a catalytic converter required in SM and CST Thanks
Not needed in either class.
Duane Tomono

Post by Duane Tomono »

Thanks John S and Robert P for you help
Duane Tomono

Post by Duane Tomono »

Hello. I've been attending autocross events with my sons over the past few years. I have a own car that I've been thinking about autocorssing, and am trying to determine what class/category the car should be listed in. It's a 1993 Toyota MR-2 turbo. It's stock with the exception of the exhaust and coilovers. Can you help me figure out class I should run in?

My tires are pretty old so before I purchase new tires, I wanted to understand the class rules.