September Event

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Theo O.

September Event

Post by Theo O. »

My first time as Event Master, I knew it was going to be challenging but I was counting on the support of everyone and I definitely wasn't disappointed. Not being able to do course setup on Friday complicates things but I think we managed to pull off a decent weekend.

First, big thanks to all my Chiefs, everyone handled their responsibilities flawlessly.

I do have to give special recognition to a few people. The Jardines for showing up early and completely handling everything registration. Renee for showing up early and being creative with the worker distribution when needed and also just for the general support and encouragement.

Rick B. for our awesome new timing equipments that worked flawlessly and most importantly for being the last man standing with me at the end of the event. Thanks Rick.

Ken our SS for his calm and reassuring demeanor and for staying late to help with the cleanup. Eric for stepping up to be youth steward during the practice and helping with the cleanup, along with John. Arthur for showing up for his gate duty eventhough he didn't event run his car.

All the people that volunteered with no fuss to work group 4 when we had a shortage of workers especially Art that worked 2 sessions back to back.

Davin for coming over during the fifth run group and volunteering, without even being asked, to help clean up after the event, Cameron for staying late for the cleanup and he has a 3 hour drive ahead of him and it was his first event with us (got to love military people), Tim, Glen, Mark D. and of course The Berrys.

Again, thanks everyone.
Last edited by Theo O. on Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." - Benjamin Franklin
Max Hayter
Club: CASOC
Car#: 31

Re: September Event

Post by Max Hayter »

Great job, Theo :thumbup:
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Yes, good job Theo!

My thanks to Christine & Theresa Berry not only for each working two groups in Timing & Scoring, but also quickly adapting to the new timing equipment and associated computer changes and then each helping with the auditing. You ladies always make life in T&S easier.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Mark DeShon
Car#: 113

Post by Mark DeShon »

I wasn't there Saturday but it was a very smooth running Sunday from what I saw, and that all points to good preparation and organization on your part, Theo. Great Job! Especially considering the factor of low participation. :thumbup:
I also second all the shoutouts and thanks that Theo put out. These are people who are there making it happen at every event, and deserve our appreciation. Thank you to all our region's regulars!
P.S. Even after all the work Theo put in this weekend, he was the first one out there picking up stacked cones, and the last to leave. :!: Thank you.
Mark D.
Tom Berry
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 72

Post by Tom Berry »

Good job Theo!
Davin Swanson
Car#: 979

Post by Davin Swanson »

Thanks to Theo and the whole E-board and all the chiefs. This was my first event and I definitely didn't realize beforehand all of the work and prep that goes into making it happen. Definitely an eye opening experience and it's a real testament to the team in charge that both days went so smoothly.

It was great meeting (some) of you, and I'll see you next month!
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Great job Theo, thanks for stepping up!
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Duane Tomono

Post by Duane Tomono »

My first autocross event as a driver was awesome first thing i noticed everyone is so nice saturday practice was great learned safety from Ken Lord sunday event was fun walked the course with Gene Wehrman who gave his time to give me some hints on driving lines and learned alot from Shaun Bailey during work assignment my only bad moment was when i wiped out the finish line !
Max Hayter
Car#: 31

Post by Max Hayter »

Davin Swanson wrote:Thanks to Theo and the whole E-board and all the chiefs. This was my first event and I definitely didn't realize beforehand all of the work and prep that goes into making it happen. Definitely an eye opening experience and it's a real testament to the team in charge that both days went so smoothly.

It was great meeting (some) of you, and I'll see you next month!
Nice to meet you Davin. I thought you did great for your first event and we hope to see you at many more.
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Bill Martin
Club: GRA
Car#: 74

Post by Bill Martin »

Excellent event, outstanding course. Comment on the new timing display...maybe leave the completed times on the display a little longer. Since we have an average time between cars of 20-30 seconds, could you display them for maybe 10 seconds? The display time Sunday was highly variable throughout the day.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Bill Martin wrote:Excellent event, outstanding course. Comment on the new timing display...maybe leave the completed times on the display a little longer. Since we have an average time between cars of 20-30 seconds, could you display them for maybe 10 seconds? The display time Sunday was highly variable throughout the day.
Actually it wasn't variable at all. Fixed at 15 seconds (And yes, I checked it.). I think you need your internal clock calibrated, Bill. :D

I have a choice of 1, 3, 5, 15 or 30 seconds. At 30 there would likely be no running time display for the next car which many people commented on that they really liked. The running time can also be disabled so the previous car's time is displayed until the next finish.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 82

Post by Leonard Cachola »

Rick Brown wrote:I have a choice of 1, 3, 5, 15 or 30 seconds. At 30 there would likely be no running time display for the next car which many people commented on that they really liked. The running time can also be disabled so the previous car's time is displayed until the next finish.
I worked timing slips on Saturday and found 15 seconds to be plenty of time for the last finisher to be displayed.
~Leonard Cachola
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator
Vincent Wong
Car#: 107

Post by Vincent Wong »

Rick Brown wrote:Actually it wasn't variable at all. Fixed at 15 seconds (And yes, I checked it.). I think you need your internal clock calibrated, Bill. :D

I have a choice of 1, 3, 5, 15 or 30 seconds. At 30 there would likely be no running time display for the next car which many people commented on that they really liked. The running time can also be disabled so the previous car's time is displayed until the next finish.
I like the running time display. I think it's pretty cool.

Oh...and thank you to Theo and all the chiefs for a great event. :thumbup:
Mihail Milkov

Post by Mihail Milkov »

As embarrassing as it is, I'd like to admit that I drove to El Toro to find no cars and no autocross... :? Oh well, better check the venue next time! I went sailing instead at Marina del Rey so my Sunday wasn't too bad. :)
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 82

Post by Leonard Cachola »

Mihail Milkov wrote:As embarrassing as it is, I'd like to admit that I drove to El Toro to find no cars and no autocross... :? Oh well, better check the venue next time! I went sailing instead at Marina del Rey so my Sunday wasn't too bad. :)
I was wondering where you were! :lol:
~Leonard Cachola
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Mihail Milkov wrote:As embarrassing as it is, I'd like to admit that I drove to El Toro to find no cars and no autocross... :? Oh well, better check the venue next time! I went sailing instead at Marina del Rey so my Sunday wasn't too bad. :)

:lol: Doh!

Truthfully, I have recurring nightmares about making that mistake. When I used to teach at three different campuses a week, I always feared I'd show up at the wrong campus. I got on the freeway a couple of times in the wrong direction, but realized my mistake going up the ramp each time.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600