Spec Class

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Kurt Williams
Club: CASOC
Car#: 219

Spec Class

Post by Kurt Williams »

"What was essentially a spec class" Any interest in the Solo community for a "real" spec class like Spec Miata or TAG karts ?

No more trying to decide what the best car for class is, no testing three or four different sets of tires, sway bars, shocks,etc. (or being accused of being a lemming). Alignment settings and the driver would make the difference. With the current economy (who knows when it will turn around) seems like at least one class could be a spec class. Tire to be decided by the Tire Rack ? Changed each year to the benefit of more than one tire mfg. ,would this encourage manufactures to be more involved or would lack of competition discourage?

I hear the smack talk ( you are not a real driver unless you win SS or ? ) Unlike PAX a true Spec class seems like it would be the "Drivers" class.

Just curious .

" An observer since 1990"
Aaron Goldsmith
Car#: 32

Re: Spec Class

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

Yeah, it's that Mod class with the nasty ass sounding engines.
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Sure ... they need some place for all of those '99 Miata's that don't have a National street tire class.
Aaron Goldsmith

Mako Koiwai wrote:Sure ... they need some place for all of those '99 Miata's that don't have a National street tire class.
haha, 99's are 10 years old, I think that problem is going to take care of itself soon enough. Plus how about a car that people over 5'8" can drive comfortably.
Giovanni Jaramillo
Club: PSCC

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Kurt Williams wrote:Any interest in the Solo community for a "real" spec class like Spec Miata or TAG karts ?
ABSOLUTELY KURT!!! Read this thread on TaG karts.
Also I do believe Spec-Miata's are classed specifically in SCCA (Solo) forget which one.
John Coffey
Car#: 250

Post by John Coffey »

I thought STS was the Solo2 spec class...
Aaron Goldsmith

or F125...
John Coffey

Post by John Coffey »

I think we need to define the basic parameters. My opinions:

1. Total cost with upgraded tires, brake pads, shocks, and ARBs: Under $4,000.
2. Repair costs (labor, parts) very reasonable.
3. Spec tire size.
4. Spec shocks.
5. Stock springs.
6. Spec ARBs.
7. Claiming rule on engines ($1,000 including the computer, intake manifold, exhaust header, engine wiring harness, flywheel and clutch ?).
8. Minimum weight with driver.
9. Maximum ballast weight (150 lbs. ?)
10. Hopefully some manufacturer interest.

Some cars that might fit into this:

Miata, Mustang, Neon, Civic, Eclipse, Camaro, RX7, ...
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Spec Nano Europa
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Bob Beamesderfer

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:Spec Nano
Beaded seat cover optional. ;)
Bob Beamesderfer

Giovanni Jaramillo wrote: Also I do believe Spec-Miata's are classed specifically in SCCA (Solo) forget which one.
DSP, where they're at a disadvantage.
Jayson Woodruff
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

2nd Gen MR2s are older than that and a lot more rare and they haven't all been 'used up' yet. So the '99 Miatas have a long ways to go.

Jay W
Aaron Goldsmith wrote:
Mako Koiwai wrote:Sure ... they need some place for all of those '99 Miata's that don't have a National street tire class.
haha, 99's are 10 years old, I think that problem is going to take care of itself soon enough. Plus how about a car that people over 5'8" can drive comfortably.
Robert Puertas
Car#: 44

Post by Robert Puertas »

I'd like to see Spec Miatas in GP. That makes alot more sense than DSP. Of course the GP guys got their own class to run away from the Miatas, so no doubt they'd fight it :roll:

However, for making a true spec solo car, I'd say Spec Miata was the answer, except that the engines can get pricey if you want to road race them competitively. That said, no reason why Solo Spec Miata couldn't have an engine claiming rule like John suggests. And if you can change the seat and the steering wheel, pretty much anyone could fit. Write the rules so that they match the road racing cars, except that the Solo cars can run without the cage, but then require them to keep something else (like full interior) to balance out the weight...

I've heard rumors of a Spec Miata Turbo class variation that could actually make these cars fast enough to be appealing to alot of people.
Jason Isley BS RX8
Car#: 0

Post by Jason Isley BS RX8 »

Robert Puertas wrote: I've heard rumors of a Spec Miata Turbo class variation that could actually make these cars fast enough to be appealing to alot of people.
Actually supercharged. Image

This might be a start for you - Showroom Spec Miata: http://www.wdcr-scca.org/LinkClick.aspx ... 73&mid=535" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Robert Puertas
Car#: 44

Post by Robert Puertas »

Jason Isley BS RX8 wrote:
Actually supercharged.

Jason, you need to read the side of the car you showed in the pic. It definitely says TURBO.
Jason Isley BS RX8

Robert Puertas wrote:
Jason, you need to read the side of the car you showed in the pic. It definitely says TURBO.
What it says on the side of the car, and what is under the hood are two entirely different things. ;)
Steve Coe
Car#: 75

Post by Steve Coe »

Jason Isley BS RX8 wrote:
Robert Puertas wrote:
What it says on the side of the car, and what is under the hood are two entirely different things. ;)

It's a test mule and has gone thru many stages. The picture was when it had a turbo, now Jackson is installing a supercharger. Next?
see this tread in the Spec Miata forums
http://forum.specmiata.com/cgi-bin/ulti ... tml#000000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jason Isley BS RX8

Steve Coe wrote:
It's a test mule and has gone thru many stages. The picture was when it had a turbo, now Jackson is installing a supercharger. Next?
see this tread in the Spec Miata forums
http://forum.specmiata.com/cgi-bin/ulti ... tml#000000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The car will be running this weekend at AAA Speedway. :thumbup:
George Doganis

Post by George Doganis »

[quote="Jason Isley BS RX8
What it says on the side of the car, and what is under the hood are two entirely different things. ;)[/quote]

Jason is correct, various engine options have/are being considered for this car. I did its initial shakedown early fall of last year and found it to be very entertaining. Admittedly, it would not be a really cheap option, but if Mazdaspeed offers the "Super Spec Miata" kit, then a Miata owner could buy the kit(without the cage and safety stuff) and build a Solo SSM car without having to invent the wheel. Mazdaspeed is an intelligent organization and I expect that the kit price will be very, very attractive.

From the first moment I heard of this roadrace project, I could see the benefit to us autocrossers. It would not hurt if Solo people expressed interest to Mazdaspeed about offering a Solo version of the kit.

George
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Karen's doing Friday's NASA sessions at CA Speedway ... I wonder if it will already be around?
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Aaron Goldsmith wrote:
Mako Koiwai wrote: Plus how about a car that people over 5'8" can drive comfortably.
Did I read someplace that next year Miatas will have to run with the hard top installed? Or am I having a premature senior moment?
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Bob Beamesderfer

Kurt Rahn wrote:
Aaron Goldsmith wrote:
Mako Koiwai wrote: Plus how about a car that people over 5'8" can drive comfortably.
Did I read someplace that next year Miatas will have to run with the hard top installed? Or am I having a premature senior moment?
In Spec Miata? I've heard that the competitive SM cars run with the top anyway.
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Bob Beamesderfer wrote:In Spec Miata? I've heard that the competitive SM cars run with the top anyway.
I can't remember where I read it...or for that matter whether I actually did. I may have made that up or dreamt it :lol:
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

I like the idea of a spec class, especially a Miata spec class. The cars are plentiful and cheap, factory support is wonderful, and we wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
John Coffey

Post by John Coffey »

SM has always run with the hard top. I can't remember ever seeing an open top SM on track.