SCCA - El Toro ProSolo (Round 1) : Results

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Giovanni Jaramillo
Club: PSCC

SCCA - El Toro ProSolo (Round 1) : Results

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Saturday's results pdf file

Saturday's results web page
Michael Wood

Re: SCCA - El Toro ProSolo (Round 1) : Results

Post by Michael Wood »

Looking at results from home is no fun... :(

I heard the second runs didn't start until after 3PM. Timing/computer issues??
Giovanni Jaramillo

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Michael Wood wrote:Looking at results from home is no fun... :(
Same here :)
Michael Wood wrote:I heard the second runs didn't start until after 3PM. Timing/computer issues??
What else is new with the ProSolo :( :( Same o' S*** That's why the results only show 2 runs on one side for some classes.
Michael Wood

Post by Michael Wood »

I talked to one of my friends running the event and he said they were still going at it at 7PM...oh well, it probably was a nice night for Solo. And, it wasn't timing that really slowed things down, it was more around a couple of mechanicals and needing to clean up the course, evidently :)

Actually, one of the most memorable moments I've ever witnessed autocrossing happened at dusk at the 2007 El Toro Pro...Andy McKee and Erik Strelnieks, running side by side in their rotary SM2 cars, hammering out the back of the course and then lighting up the sky with flames coming out the exhaust on the overrun, as they backed out of the throttles simultaneously to slow down for the turnaround...it was EPIC. :)
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Jayson Woodruff
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

Michael Wood wrote:I heard the second runs didn't start until after 3PM. Timing/computer issues??
I'd say it was mostly a slow start interval. Very long course for a pro (40-45sec), and they seemed wait 2/3rds the course to start the lights. Which means by the time the next cars launched it was nearly 40 seconds. 212 on the entry list too. They picked it up in the afternoon and got nearly as much done in 4hours as it took 5.5 in the morning. Then picked it up again Sun morning and we were complete in 4 again.

I only saw one big spill on course and a few 'fix the timing' holds Sat morning.

Didn't the countdown clock used to start as soon as the previous cars left? Now it waits for driver's to stage, then starts counting down. Good 5sec/launch there will really add up.

Jay W
Eric Clements
Solo Safety Steward
Club: No$
Car#: 30

Post by Eric Clements »

Jayson Woodruff wrote: Didn't the countdown clock used to start as soon as the previous cars left? Now it waits for driver's to stage, then starts counting down. Good 5sec/launch there will really add up.
Yes, usually. With the crossover towards the end of the course they were waiting to be sure the cars headed towards the finish (not back towards the start) before sending the next pair.

Years ago the national staff has changed courses to delete crossovers near the end. Don't know why they left this one...
Aaron Goldsmith
Club: CASOC
Car#: 32

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

Eric Clements wrote:
Years ago the national staff has changed courses to delete crossovers near the end. Don't know why they left this one...
Cuz it was rad, :lol:. never had to carry that much speed for that long that close to that slow of a turn. Car was hitting 1.47g's coming through there!
Jayson Woodruff
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

But I saw the slow clock last year too, and maybe the year before that.

Jay W
Eric Clements wrote:
Jayson Woodruff wrote: Didn't the countdown clock used to start as soon as the previous cars left? Now it waits for driver's to stage, then starts counting down. Good 5sec/launch there will really add up.
Yes, usually. With the crossover towards the end of the course they were waiting to be sure the cars headed towards the finish (not back towards the start) before sending the next pair.

Jason Uyeda

Post by Jason Uyeda »

Jayson Woodruff wrote:
I'd say it was mostly a slow start interval. Very long course for a pro (40-45sec), and they seemed wait 2/3rds the course to start the lights. Which means by the time the next cars launched it was nearly 40 seconds. 212 on the entry list too. They picked it up in the afternoon and got nearly as much done in 4hours as it took 5.5 in the morning. Then picked it up again Sun morning and we were complete in 4 again.

I only saw one big spill on course and a few 'fix the timing' holds Sat morning.

Didn't the countdown clock used to start as soon as the previous cars left? Now it waits for driver's to stage, then starts counting down. Good 5sec/launch there will really add up.

Jay W
There were very few timing issues... Maybe 10 minutes lost on Sat due to finish light issues and 10-15 min on Sun when there was some operator issues in the trailer. I agree with Jay in that the interval was probably the biggest issue. Because of the length of the course and the crossover I'd bet that the gap was 32-ish sec.. Compare that to the normal 25-ish sec and that's an extra 50 minutes per 4-run session.

Also on Sat one car did spray the course and cleanup was required, at least on car had to be removed from course and in several of the groups the gridworkers had no experience (myself included). I'd bet the grid issues on sat contributed to at least another 35 minutes of delay on Sat, once we all learned how to do the job things went much smoother.

In hindsight, I'd prefer to keep the long courses (especially when they're good like last weekend), get some experienced gridworkers (so I don't have to do it) and maybe lose the crossover.
Last edited by Jason Uyeda on Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason Uyeda

Post by Jason Uyeda »

Jayson Woodruff wrote:But I saw the slow clock last year too, and maybe the year before that.

Jay W
When I was taught to be a starter I was told that you should start the clock 3-5 seconds after the cars left the line. But it is somewhat course dependent and the software does not allow for more than 2 cars on each course at once, and they try to keep re-runs to a min at Pros...
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

I was also concerned about the cross over taking too much time, but in watching closely, I found it didn't make that much difference. The fact that we pushed the groups through in four hours in the last two sets tells me that the delays were mostly due to inexperienced workers and it being the first Pro of the year.

Overall, I think we did a pretty good job as region putting this on. Thanks to Tom Berry and all who helped for another wonderful event.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

George Schilling wrote:I was also concerned about the cross over taking too much time, but in watching closely, I found it didn't make that much difference. The fact that we pushed the groups through in four hours in the last two sets tells me that the delays were mostly due to inexperienced workers and it being the first Pro of the year.

Overall, I think we did a pretty good job as region putting this on. Thanks to Tom Berry and all who helped for another wonderful event.
Agreed. Plus I loved that feature. It was fun. Great course, Tom!
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Jeff Ringer
Car#: 741

Post by Jeff Ringer »

here are the results with 60ft and reaction times

http://sccaforums.com/forums/storage/16 ... RT60ft.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
my middle name is 'The'

previous vehicles:83 chevette scooter-84 chrysler laser tubro-86 gti -93 probe gt-91 944s2 - 00 gti 1.8t-86 325e-89 325i-90 xj6- 67 lemans 4 speed -98 bmw m3/4/5
Marshall Grice
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 11

Post by Marshall Grice »

Jeff Ringer wrote:here are the results with 60ft and reaction times

http://sccaforums.com/forums/storage/16 ... RT60ft.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1.695sec 60' FTW (literally) :lol:
Tom Berry
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 72

Post by Tom Berry »

Marshall Grice wrote:

It did feel kinda fast.
Aaron Goldsmith
Car#: 32

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

Marshall Grice wrote:

Jerk.