Driving by the new Auto-X site, my observations.

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

David Barrish
Club: PSCC
Car#: 58

Driving by the new Auto-X site, my observations.

Post by David Barrish »

My drive by of the Highland/San Bernardino site:

Welcome to the IE, the following is my observations of the new site.

The slop of the north 2/3’s of the lot is noticeable. Driving in on the 3rd. street gates will provide the lowest point of the site. The south fence is not visible from the entry gates. The lot falls off again, to the south, after the peak/seam.

Parking the timing RV on the North side of the site, in any orientation, is going to require leveling.

The surface looks like Fontana, only brand new.

The sprinklers were watering the grass strip on the inside of the 3rd. street wall at 1:00 this afternoon. If you are missing anything from your car that could roll, at the end of the day you might check the curb in front of the grass.

This location is going to attract the locals, just like Hollywood Park. Are both gates going to be open during the event?

David Barrish
Jeff Wong
Club: CASOC
Car#: 146

Re: Driving by the new Auto-X site, my observations.

Post by Jeff Wong »

David Barrish wrote:This location is going to attract the locals, just like Hollywood Park. Are both gates going to be open during the event?
:(
Jeff Wong
1994 Honda Civic- STS
ProParts USA
Like Us on Facebook
Mark DeShon
Car#: 113

Post by Mark DeShon »

I go to school down there. Those are locals you don't want to attract! :mrt:
Mark D.
Theo O.

Post by Theo O. »

Mark DeShon wrote:I go to school down there. Those are locals you don't want to attract! :mrt:
Mark D.
Explain ... should we all stay home and not attend the event?
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." - Benjamin Franklin
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

The bad element isn't up during the day.... We only had trouble at Norton when running the NOTLD there. Bitches in Ditches was the headline from that event. A classic moment in CSCC Solo history.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Arthur Grant
Club: TCC
Car#: 314

Post by Arthur Grant »

T. Osifeso wrote:
Mark DeShon wrote:I go to school down there. Those are locals you don't want to attract! :mrt:
Mark D.
Explain ... should we all stay home and not attend the event?
Of course not, kevlar vests might be an appropriate fashion statement however.
Bill Schenker
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 14

Post by Bill Schenker »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:... Bitches in Ditches was the headline from that event. A classic moment in CSCC Solo history.
lol! That WAS awesome...
MiataRoadster/OS Giken/ChaseCam/
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
Jason Flores
Car#: 886

Post by Jason Flores »

David Barrish wrote:My drive by of the Highland/San Bernardino site:

Welcome to the IE, the following is my observations of the new site.
David Barrish
David,

Could you give our visitors the best way to get tot he new location via the 210 coming from the north/west and the south/east? I think that would help with people not getting lost on the day of and keep them from trolling through downtown SB in the early morning. But a stop off at the 1st McDonalds and the adjoining museum may be fun!!
Casey Brier
Car#: 806

Post by Casey Brier »

oh you guys.... sheesh.
I work in San Bernardino. its not That bad. especially in that area. there are no homes there.
(coming from a guy that moved out of San Bernardino)

any ways. Really its not that bad. Not during the day in that location.

From the 210 east, that’s a hard one, its not really by that. I guess I would exit Del Rosa (yea the not so great part of San Bernardino) and turn right. (South).
Go all the way down Del Rosa until you hit 3rd and turn left onto 3rd.
You’ll see the air port on your right. Just find the gate.

From the 10 east, I would exit Tippecanoe and turn left (North onto Tippecanoe ) go north until 3rd, turn right onto 3rd. youll see it on your right.

You could also exit Alabama from the 10. turn left (north) and go to 3rd. you will make a LEFT on 3rd, and see it on your left hand side.
Attachments
untitled.JPG
untitled.JPG (88.44 KiB) Viewed 8232 times
"cars...you spend money you don't have, to buy the parts you don't need, to impress the people you don't like....."
Casey Brier

Post by Casey Brier »

Then we can all go to Vickys for lunch, and get Tattoos at Pirate City Tattoo!!!
ha ha ha

speaking of which, Jesse From Pirate City Tattoo will be at the race on Sunday morning with me. he will be driving his Evo in fun runs.
seriously, if anyone is interested, it would be a good time to strike up a conversation. ;-) :thumbup:

and Vickys is my favorite resturaunt around here. good food, fair price.
its on the corner of Mill and waterman.
Attachments
untitled.JPG
untitled.JPG (98.46 KiB) Viewed 8222 times
"cars...you spend money you don't have, to buy the parts you don't need, to impress the people you don't like....."
David Barrish
Car#: 58

Post by David Barrish »

Jason,

If you end up on "E" street, just down from the high school, looking for the original "Golden Arches" you will have your own stories to tell. The resturant is gone. Only the arches remain.

210 east to Base Line. Left to Mac Donalds. Right to StarBucks. West ( right ) on Base Line to Palm Ave ( turn left/ south )

to 3rd, then right.

10 east to 210 West ( yes, you are headed north ) take the 5th Street exit, turn left( west ) and then left at Palm

There is a Farmers Bro's resturant on the corner of 5th and Palm.

There is a Circle "K"/76 gas station on the corner of Alabama and W Lugonia that has 100 octane at the pump, exit 10 East to Alabama north. Alabama North turns into Palm at 3rd, turn left to the event.

The local PoPo have almost no sense of humor.

See you at the event!

David Barrish
Last edited by David Barrish on Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joey Schilling

Post by Joey Schilling »

I have seen the site as well and the slope of the lot is HUGE. It might be a problem because you will not be able to see the whole course unless you are at the peak, even from the trailer. I might be wrong, but I was turned off by the slope.
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

I'd suggest entering 3470 E. 3rd Street, Highland, CA in your GPS and it will guide you to the exact gate we will be using.

Also, on the first page of the event flier is a little map. If you click on it, a larger map will appear offering turn by turn directions to the site.

Most everyone will exit the 10 @ Alabama. I'll be dining @ the new Farmer Boys two blocks away.

https://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm ... C0DF65E0A4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a large airport. If you just enter San Bernardino AP, you be driving around a while trying to find the place.

Remember to bring water, sunscreen, shade, etc. Looks like it will be hot.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Bill Martin
Club: GRA
Car#: 74

Post by Bill Martin »

Referring to the first above map that Casey posted...the star is not the site. Look carefully just above the right end of the runways and you will see a faint depiction of our site, complete with topo shading of the slope people are talking about. It's right above the right end of the runways and right below the words "3rd St". Kind of square except the bottom fence line is slanted, parallel to the runway direction.

Depending on how it lays out, I may not use anything south of the crest so we don't have to worry about cars disappearing "over the horizon".

I'm laying out pits and such at the western end against 3rd street. I see no need to keep the other gate open.

Why would the motorhome need leveling? Only the refrigerators require level and I assume that won't be running.

Come on by Friday afternoon (with work gloves) and get your inputs heard.
Steve Lepper
Club: TCC
Car#: 355

Post by Steve Lepper »

Casey Brier wrote:...Really its not that bad. Not during the day in that location...
Not during the day? Because the tweekers are sleeping it off?

Regarding overnight: What's the best area to look for a hotel where we're not going to get our hubcaps stolen?
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Steve Lepper wrote:
Casey Brier wrote:...Really its not that bad. Not during the day in that location...
Not during the day? Because the tweekers are sleeping it off?

Regarding overnight: What's the best area to look for a hotel where we're not going to get our hubcaps stolen?
I put in a lot of bids in on Priceline to find the bottom and as of Thrusday AM that bottom was $46 for a 3.5* in the Riverside - San Bermardino area. That gets you the Marriot in Riverside, about 16 minutes South. Quailty hotels are sold out in San Bernardino. While bidding I was also trying for Ontario. This is what hit. Good luck when you bid.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Jeff Stuart
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 13

Post by Jeff Stuart »

I got the 3* Holiday Inn near Ontario Airport for $41 on Priceline. It's a ~15-20 minute drive, but still better than 2.5 hours from SB!
Craig Naylor
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

Coming in on the 210 don't exit as indicated above, long drive through the neighborhood.
Exit 5th street (the freeway will have turned south towards the 10 at this point.) you can see the exit on the map above though.
Go west one block to Palm, turn left.
Go one block south to 3rd, turn right.
We're about a block and a half down on the left side.
Pete Loney
Car#: 777

Post by Pete Loney »

David Barrish wrote:Jason,

If you end up on "E" street, just down from the high school, looking for the original "Golden Arches" you will have your own stories to tell. The resturant is gone. Only the arches remain.

210 east to Base Line. Left to Mac Donalds. Right to StarBucks. West ( right ) on Base Line to Palm Ave ( turn left/ south )

to 3rd, then right.

10 east to 210 West ( yes, you are headed north ) take the 5th Street exit, turn left( west ) and then left at Palm

There is a Farmers Bro's resturant on the corner of 5th and Palm.

There is a 76 gas station on the corner of Alabama and W Lugonia that has 100 octane at the pump, exit 10 East to Alabama north. Alabama North turns into Palm at 3rd, turn left to the event.

The local PoPo have almost no sense of humor.

See you at the event!

David Barrish
Not finding that 76 Station on Alabama on google maps. Would be nice if it does exist.
2021 Season: 777 ES | 1999 Miata, 10th Anniversary #3987/7500
MIATAROADSTER.COM
Bill Martin
Club: GRA
Car#: 74

Post by Bill Martin »

X2 on Craig's approach. 5th st exit from 210 (30 on older maps) is less than a mile from the track. And there are fast-foods at that exit for lunch. Plus Farmer Boy along the route. I'd use this route regardless of what direction you're coming from.
Casey Brier

Post by Casey Brier »

Craigs way is just fine. less city driving. it just requires going a little past it. no big deal. Honestly I think I would take craigs way. ;-)
Kristoffer Gjevre

Post by Kristoffer Gjevre »

76GasStation-Alabama-Lugoni.jpg
76GasStation-Alabama-Lugoni.jpg (151.1 KiB) Viewed 8095 times
Pete Loney
Car#: 777

Post by Pete Loney »

Kristoffer Gjevre wrote:
76GasStation-Alabama-Lugoni.jpg

thanks, Didn't zoom in there far and go walking :)
I searched via typing 76 gas instead.
2021 Season: 777 ES | 1999 Miata, 10th Anniversary #3987/7500
MIATAROADSTER.COM
Michael Palero
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 18

Post by Michael Palero »

Where were all the bad scary people you guys were talking about?
The only undersireables I ran into in San Bernadino were the folks with SCCA memberships! :lol:
Jayson Woodruff
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

Lurking under the rocks waiting for the heat to dissapate.

I saw a few while waiting outside the gate for the tow truck.

Jay W
Michael Palero wrote:Where were all the bad scary people you guys were talking about?
The only undersireables I ran into in San Bernadino were the folks with SCCA memberships! :lol: