Top Gear USA

Read at your own risk.

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Randy Chase
Club: PSCC
Car#: 98

Top Gear USA

Post by Randy Chase »

My company had a booth at SEMA and we were approached by the Top Gear guys to inquire about using our new HD camera systems (and data) for in-car footage. We have had some discussions in the past with Top Gear USA, and also with Top Gear in UK, including a phone conversation with Clarkson a year ago. But our lack of HD last year meant they looked for other solutions. Now, we have it.

We were invited to attend a private preview screening of the new show Wednesday night at the Las Vegas Hilton. What was not shown at the screening was the studio interaction part that was filmed last month in Orange County, nor did they show us the celeb track part.

The presentation started with the head guys giving us a little talk about the show and production and the vision. Following that the three presenters were introduced and each talked a little and there was much banter between them. Quite funny and entertaining really.

Adam Ferrara was very entertaining as a stand up wise cracking guy. Tanner Foust came across as a very intelligent and likable guy. And the star to me seems to be Rutledge Wood, though I could not tell if there was one real leader as in a Jeremy Clarkson roll. It seems they all shared equal billing, at least at first. In any case, Rutledge was awesome in his segments. Most of the real crazy driving was Tanner.

What we did get to see was three video segments from the first show. And for the UK Top Gear fans, these are very familiar. The first was a Bull Fight segment where they compared three different Lambos. One was a Balboni. One a Superleggera. And one a Sport Veloce. The "race" was a little silly as it was just top speed or really a test of when the driver had to lift when they approached the end of the runway... but it was entertaining.

The second segment was a Viper (driven by Tanner) vs a Cobra attack helicopter... similar to the Top Gear Exige vs an Appache helicopter segment. Some different elements here involving the Viper hiding in buildings, etc. Still a fun segment.

The third segment was a Mitsubishi Evo vs some downhill skiiers. Fun to watch Tanner drifting the Evo on the icy roads and on the snow slopes.

I think a key to this series working, is to have the viewership try to not compare them to the original. That ultimately is a bit unfair as a fan of the series has developed a familiarity with the UK three blokes. Look at this as a new show that stands on it's own and see how it progresses. I think the three guys have good chemistry and the show uses the same high quality production values, sounds, and camera shots.. as well as the tried and true formula of segments, studio bits, and celeb race...as well as a stig figure.
http://www.chasecam.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; VIDEO + DATA
Official provider to SCCA ProRacing, V8Supercars, Mazdaspeed, and more....
http://www.theadrenalinegallery.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Your California dealer for Rossion and Caterham
Kurt Rahn
Club: CASOC
Car#: 88

Re: Top Gear USA

Post by Kurt Rahn »

I went for a ride in one of their taxis (the 458 Italia...awesome ride, but that's another story), which had an in-car camera. I can tell you that judging from that, they can absolutely use your equipment. The camera they had was about the size of a brick.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Randy Chase

Post by Randy Chase »

Reminder that tonight is the premiere. 7:00pm PST on History Channel. Don't miss it!
http://www.chasecam.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; VIDEO + DATA
http://www.theadrenalinegallery.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Your California dealer for Rossion and Caterham
John Coffey
Car#: 250

Post by John Coffey »

I think a key to this series working, is to have the viewership try to not compare them to the original. That ultimately is a bit unfair as a fan of the series has developed a familiarity with the UK three blokes. Look at this as a new show that stands on it's own and see how it progresses. I think the three guys have good chemistry and the show uses the same high quality production values, sounds, and camera shots.. as well as the tried and true formula of segments, studio bits, and celeb race...as well as a stig figure.
That would be possible if the show:

1. Didn't have the same name.
2. Didn't have the same logo.
3. Didn't have The Stig.
4. Didn't have three hosts.
5. Didn't have a track on an airport.
6. Didn't film at old airports.
7. Didn't copy the C130 flyby that the BBC show did a couple years ago (at the same airport).
8. Didn't have the "Big Star in a Small Car" segment.
9. Didn't have an engine block coffee table.
10. Didn't have automotive seating on stage.

They are trying their damdest to be compared to the BBC show. I think Pink Floyd said it best, "..they call it riding the gravy train..."
Randy Chase

Post by Randy Chase »

But my point is, they don't have a Clarkson. They don't have Captain Slow. They don't have a Hamster. They are not filmed in the UK. There are those differences. Yes, it is the same show.

A comparison would be The Office, which originally was a UK show, then started over here. Fans of the original cried over how the new show was going to suck.. how it did suck because the Michael Scott was nothing like the original...etc. And yes, it is the same show. But it also was not. As the show progressed, it even developed more into a different show with different characters and personality, and is now a huge success.

My point is, though everyone that is a fan of Top Gear WILL compare it to the UK version, if you could step back and compare it to the other US automotive shows that compete for your eyeballs.... it then seems to come out much more favorably. Is it perfect? Nope. Does it need tweaking and more time to develop? Sure. But is it better than Pinks, Bull Run, Supercars Exposed, etc? TONS.
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Hey...I actually like Bull Run. But anyway, I liked the show last night. It's not the UK version, but there's no way to re-create the UK version since the essence of that show is its hosts. But I thought they did a good job of taking the basic premise and running with it. It seems like the three hosts could develop good chemistry, and I loved the subject matter of the segments. That snake vs. snake bit was awesome! And I loved how Adam swore each time he upshifted the Lambo, and then he and Rutledge gave Foust crap about beating him. It's definitely got the potential, and like Randy said, it's definitely the best car show on TV except for the UK original.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
John Coffey
Car#: 250

Post by John Coffey »

and like Randy said, it's definitely the best car show on TV except for the UK original.
Agreed, and in that context I'm glad its on. Hopefully enough episodes have been purchased so that a unique show personality can develop. And maybe tone down the video oversaturation a bit. Having a big plasma TV at home I think I got a sunburn watching the show.
Randy Chase

Post by Randy Chase »

If enough people are interested and watch, then the show will have a full season. If not (which can happen if too many people dismiss the show as not TG UK), then it will not. I think they have 3 shows done.
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Randy Chase wrote:If enough people are interested and watch, then the show will have a full season. If not (which can happen if too many people dismiss the show as not TG UK), then it will not. I think they have 3 shows done.
I thought they said last night that there were 10 shows in the can. Possible that I misunderstood, though.
==============
Jeff Shyu
Car#: 0

Post by Jeff Shyu »

i was just watching it on the history channel web streaming thing, and it did seem to say "here's what we have in store for the next 10 weeks"..

i'm assuming they have 10 shows taped from that.
Randy Chase

Post by Randy Chase »

From my chat with the producer, I don't think the 10 shows are done.
Jeff Shyu
Car#: 0

Post by Jeff Shyu »

i just finished watching the first episode, and I'll be watching for whatever ends up being produced.

combination of not enough UK version, not much good other shows on tv, and, I was pretty entertained.

the 3 hosts don't have their comfort level yet, so, the dialog / bantering seems.. boxy? that improves with time though.

the US Stig bounces around inside the car during the lap, but I figure that's more to do with the configuration of the track, and the El Toro surface.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

At the taping, I remember hearing about 10 episodes, but of course we were just doing the in studio portions. They showed us a number of the video taped parts during down times, but don't know how much of the out of studio stuff was completed.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Randy Chase

Post by Randy Chase »

I just re-read the emails and I misinterpreted something that was said to me. I think you are right. What is in question is season two.
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Jeff Shyu wrote:the US Stig bounces around inside the car during the lap,
Any rumors on identity? Is he shaped like anyone we know?
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Bob Pl
Club: GRA
Car#: 26

Post by Bob Pl »

First show here if you missed it on TV.

http://www.history.com/shows/top-gear/v ... bra-attack" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pretty good. Has ads that you can't ff thru.

Rutledge was a sort of color goof ball guy on many of the NASCAR pre race shows.

I don't know who Adam Ferrara is, but he kept his foot in it for the standing mile.

:)
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

I'm glad they are making the show. I'm glad I watched the show. I like the Top Gear format.

I don't mind Tanner. He can drive and I respect that. He's not a comedian or a presenter, he's a car guy.

I was in pain over the two comedians. I found myself dreading that somebody was going to talk. Lame cliches dripping everywhere. Some dialogue writing/coaching please???
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:I'm glad they are making the show. I'm glad I watched the show. I like the Top Gear format.

I don't mind Tanner. He can drive and I respect that. He's not a comedian or a presenter, he's a car guy.

I was in pain over the two comedians. I found myself dreading that somebody was going to talk. Lame cliches dripping everywhere. Some dialogue writing/coaching please???
Most of the writing is/was done by a writer from TG UK. During the taping he would come out occasionally and they would make changes to the dialog.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Rick Brown wrote: Most of the writing is/was done by a writer from TG UK. During the taping he would come out occasionally and they would make changes to the dialog.

So, is this the interpretation of some brit about how bad Americans speak? It was really painful. If you handed three high school/junior college guys a camera and said film a car show this would be the banter. Put it on mute and its a more impressive show.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Jayson Woodruff
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

They need your cameras bad Randy. Almost all the in car stuff was shakey, the Lambos were unwatchable.

It's just one episode so far. We'll stick with it for a little bit, but I get the impression it's going to be more 'car' oriented and less entertainment oriented, this will lose my wife and I'll be reduced to watching it late at night by myself.

Nobody noted that the Viper was faster than any of the Lambos on the test track.

I find the vouging stig image in the studio distracting and creepy.

Jay W
Michael Oest

Post by Michael Oest »

Honestly, I will watch it because it has bada** cars and its better than Motorweek. The host really have no chemistry and I felt they were all reading from a script. Tanner is a great driver but not a commentator. On Battle of the Supercars, it was great, Tanner drove and they had another guy do the talking. Tanner should be the Stig and nothing more. I haven't decided about the other two guys. My WIFE, Brother and Mother all watch BBC but were disappointed with the show. Actually my wife left and went upstairs and stopped watching.

BUT I'M A CAR FREAK, SO I GUESS I'LL BE WATCHING until BBC comes back next season or they get new hosts. (Paul Tracey would be GREAT) We LOVE the BBC Top Gear and the whole family watches it.

Just my opinion :)
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Funny, Stacey and I were discussing over dinner my guess that Paul Tracy was the stig... And that really, they ought to reverse it and make Tanner the Stig and Paul Tracy the host.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Thomas Smith
Car#: 158

Post by Thomas Smith »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:Funny, Stacey and I were discussing over dinner my guess that Paul Tracy was the stig... And that really, they ought to reverse it and make Tanner the Stig and Paul Tracy the host.
Paul Tracy is a very good guess....
Thomas Smith
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Karen and I found it surprisingly entertaining. Perhaps the beer helped. The only person I recognized in the crowd was our Pink Haired Engineer Rachel ... of course she stands out anywhere!

I thought it was pretty cool that the Viper s/topped the BullS

The shaking Lambo camera added Energy to the shot ... that's what I told our producer when they saw my vibrating GoPro helicopter footage last week! :D Sometimes you just get a resonating with certain camera mounts/rpms/speed that is impossible to predict.

Looking forward to the rest of the season ... actually beats seeing endless UK Top Gear repeats!

Is Paul Tracy that short?