What a great weekend!!!

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Tom Berry
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Club: CASOC
Car#: 72

What a great weekend!!!

Post by Tom Berry »

The Pro Solo was a blast!
Great big thanks to all those that went out of thier way to help a bunch:
-John Edwards for making the wold's best chili and Guac.
-Brian Robertson for getting the Kumho tire deal and making the big rig happen.
-Aaron Goldsmith and Leonard Cachola who made the worker thing really happen.
-Craig Naylor, Mark Deshon, and Q.V. for working thier collective butts off keeping the course in shape.
-Ken Lord for doing a great job at safety.
-KJ for the gate /waiver thing, and for the "goddies" for the national staff.
-Rick Brown for another great job with the t-shirts.
-Andy Mckee and Chris Cox for the the great course. ( Gary Thomason is on for next year ! )
-Steve Glusman for coming all the way from Philly to help and play with us.
-Max H, Henry and Nick B., WIll K., and Kurt R. for many hours of course set up work.
-Joey and George Schilling and the Rios family for getting the course torn down ( along with others )
-Kevin Jung for leading the FJ group in trash and supplies dept.
-Mari Clements for working all day today ( she didnt run the event but still helped ) and for getting our "exrta" car back home.
I am sure that I have failed to remember someone who helped out lots, so please accept this as your thanks.
Once again.... our region has put on a great event !!! We had our best turn out ever.... a new record!
Thanks !!
Last edited by Tom Berry on Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark DeShon
Car#: 113

Re: What a great weekend!!!

Post by Mark DeShon »

Tom Berry wrote:The Pro Solo was a blast!
... I am sure that I have failed to remember someone who helped out lots, so please accept this as your thanks.
Once again.... our region has put on a great event !!! We had our best turn out ever.... a new record!
Thank !!
Yes, you did forget somebody. Tom Berry for keeping everyone's needs strait in his head and making sure everything got done. Great event that ran very smoothly. Tons O' fun! :thumbup:
Mark D.
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Mark DeShon wrote:
Tom Berry wrote:The Pro Solo was a blast!
... I am sure that I have failed to remember someone who helped out lots, so please accept this as your thanks.
Thank !!
Yes, you did forget somebody. Tom Berry for keeping everyone's needs strait in his head and making sure everything got done. Great event that ran very smoothly. Tons O' fun! :thumbup:
Mark D.
+1
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Q V
Solo Safety Steward
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 69

Post by Q V »

Thanks for setting up everything, Tom & team.

I had an amazing time! I'm really glad I came out :-D.

Big ole thanks to Stanley for letting me co-drive his Miata last minute. And thanks to Craig for taking lead of Chief of Course & making course duty so easy.
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Car#: 82

Post by Leonard Cachola »

I would like to thank everyone who volunteered to help out working during the challenges. I know it can be a challenge with only four people working each side, so big props for helping out. Also, if I didn't thank you in person afterward, then I didn't see you (sorry!).

Plus, thanks to Steve Ekstrand for working Sound in the last group on Saturday.
~Leonard Cachola
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator
Mark Duerst
Club: GRA
Car#: 173

Post by Mark Duerst »

Thanks to Tom and everyone at Cal Club for a great event.

Lots of fun.
Mark Duerst
Theo O.

Post by Theo O. »

One of the best weekend racing ever. I would have paid the entry fee for just John's chilli and the other great foods :thumbup:

Some special personal thanks:

Steve Ekstrand - Lesson on leaving the line got me from 1.1 to .5 and .6, this helped me move up a spot :thumbup:

Mike K. and Mike Smith. - Best pit crew ever, it's amazing the difference it makes when you have someone checking your tire pressure and giving you tips on what to correct between runs :thumbup:

Brian R. - For getting Kumho out there and the Kumho guys are very nice and friendly. I actually wanted decals before the event and Charles personally hooked me up with the decals at his office in Rancho :thumbup:

Jordan and his dad - For being great sports. Sorry about the mechanical problems.

Thanks to everyone that made the weekend a success.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." - Benjamin Franklin
Michael Smith
Car#: 21

Post by Michael Smith »

This weekend was so much fun.
Thanks to everyone that worked so hard at making this so enjoyable. Thanks to all of the participants as well. It was a great environment where nobody was too busy to give advice or help out newer drivers.

I'm also thankful for my co-driver Dan Tait that drove out from Vegas. He did a fantastic job in a short amount of time.

Michael
Pete Loney
Car#: 777

Post by Pete Loney »

+10

Great weekend overall despite my placing.

Thanks to all the volunteers!

Big thanks to B. Robertsonn for the Kumho hookup and to the rest of STR!

My last minute decision to join up limited my own volunteerism, Next time.
2021 Season: 777 ES | 1999 Miata, 10th Anniversary #3987/7500
MIATAROADSTER.COM
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

So were Kumho tires won?
Pete Loney
Car#: 777

Post by Pete Loney »

Mako to wrote:So were Kumho tires won?
Yup, a winner by default. Not complaining though.
2021 Season: 777 ES | 1999 Miata, 10th Anniversary #3987/7500
MIATAROADSTER.COM
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

I bought a set of old, dead, hard V710s for $80 because I saw that the rest of DS was on Hoosiers the week before at the Tour. Luckily for me, everyone stayed on Hoosiers and my gamble paid off. And actually, it made me want to drive on R-comps again because despite the fact that a) I've only done four events in the Mini I'm still learning how to drive it, b) I'd never driven on R comps and c) Fred Flintstone's tires were softer and stickier than these, I was able to drop my times from completely embarrassing to respectable. Instead of offering the ones I won for sale, which was my original plan, I'm going to keep them for national events and the divisional.

Thanks, Kumho!!
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Jayson Woodruff
Club: PSCC
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

Kurt Ra wrote:... my gamble paid off. And actually, it made me want to drive on R-comps again ...
It lookd like Kumho's gamble paid off too.

Jay W
Jeff Stuart
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 13

Post by Jeff Stuart »

I won a set in C Stock. It was just Leonard and me on Kumhos, everyone else in the class had Hoosiers.
Tom Berry
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 72

Post by Tom Berry »

Lisa Berry won a set of Kumho's for L2 top Kumho car spot and Mark DeShon won a set for top Kumho in STX!

Thanks to Kumho and Brian Robertson for making that happen.
I think all the winners should drop a line to Kumho thanking them for thier generosity.
Doug Kott
Car#: 300

Post by Doug Kott »

Congrats to everyone for all the hard work, and to Olympic-class multi-tasker Tom Berry who, aside from all the duties that go with being Event Chair, was able to mentor me in the finer points of ProSolo, including a lot of help with the launches. What a great format! It's a lot to digest in the way the event is run compared to a local event.

Organization in the trailer was phenomenal, results were tallied at near light speed, and the announcing was first-rate too. Nice how the PA system could be heard even waaaay out on the course.

I met a lot of nice people too...Doug Gill, Linda (who helped me learn the Contingencies job), and I got to know my co-driver Mark DeShon a lot better (nice drive, BTW...got me by 0.057...grrrrr!). Berry Family hospitality made me feel very welcome.

Can't wait till the next one!
Craig Naylor
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

What a great weekend!!!!

You can say that again!
Tom Berry wrote:Lisa Berry won a set of Kumho's for L2 top Kumho car spot and Mark DeShon won a set for top Kumho in STX!
Plus the announcement at the Awards Program that Christine (or maybe Christine and Tom combined) won 12 Hoosiers.

Is there a Tire sale at the Berry home coming up?

Congrats, and thank you Tom and Family for all your hard work.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Theo O. wrote:
Steve Ekstrand - Lesson on leaving the line got me from 1.1 to .5 and .6, this helped me move up a spot :thumbup:

Glad it helped.... Meanwhile, a last right side red light cost Tadd a trophy in STX and a left side redlight followed by my worst light in memory (had to have the run on the right) cost me 3 spots in ST... So, much for the Ekstrand Family tree magic. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Arthur Grant
Club: TCC
Car#: 314

Post by Arthur Grant »

Pete Loney wrote:
Yup, a winner by default. Not complaining though.
Some people have all the luck. I thought I had that going for me then this Toyota Supra with Hoosier tags taped over shows up and grabs the tires.
Steve Glusman
Club: PSCC
Car#: 424

Post by Steve Glusman »

All -- I rally enjoyed driving the white marsh mellow and seeing all my old friends -- and meeting a few new ones too. It was great to see everyone, drive what felt like a BERRY BERRY course, and of course eat John's chili!

Hope to see at least two familiar faces at the NJ Pro -- Bill will be one...I figure I'll find one other face I know....

Enjoy your season and I hope to return next year too!

Best to all....missed seeing Doug T who I hear came to get his helmet sticker....and Mako who was taking photos somewhere....

Steve G
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Good to see you Steve. Nice surprise. I hope you can come back soon.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head