General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Bob Pl
Club: GRA
Car#: 26

Re: Repo alum car haulers - where?

Post by Bob Pl »

Bob Beamesderfer wrote:
Bob Plante wrote:I'm doing the SD BMW event tomorrow, but I'd like to ck it out. I guess 3/1 cscc champ is next event I will go north for. Will u have it there at the 3/1 event?

I need some way to open the Vette doors, for sure.

GVWR on my 02 Sub is #7200 less trailer #2300 less Vette #3000 leaves 1900 for tools tires or excess capacity so I guess I can pull it. Just.

Probably a 16 ft is a better fit to my truck, but I am going to eventually sell the 02 Sub for an Avalanche which I may be able to spec out for a higher GVWR.

Let's talk.

:)
GVWR isn't the same as towing capacity. The 2002 Suburban 1500's maximum towing capacity is 8,100 pounds.

What about a Rollback:

http://www.rollbacktrailers.com/18%27_car_hauler.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think you'd be better off with Silverado 2500 crew cab than an Avalanche.
Hi Bob,

Mine is 4x4, 5.3 engine, still #8100?

Rollback very nice but too many $$$$$.

I know a "real truck" would serve better, but I like the style of the Avalanche & it's a bit less "trucky". It would be my primary DD.

What I would buy in a sec is an Avalanche hybrid, like the Escalade one I have heard of.

40 mile of around town trips = zero gas. Longer trips full v8 gasoline engine kicks in.

Thanks.

Bob Beamesderfer
Club: PSCC

Re: Repo alum car haulers - where?

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Bob Plante wrote:
Hi Bob,

Mine is 4x4, 5.3 engine, still #8100?

Rollback very nice but too many $$$$$.

I know a "real truck" would serve better, but I like the style of the Avalanche & it's a bit less "trucky". It would be my primary DD.

What I would buy in a sec is an Avalanche hybrid, like the Escalade one I have heard of.

40 mile of around town trips = zero gas. Longer trips full v8 gasoline engine kicks in.

Thanks.

Yep, 8,100 pounds with the 5.3L V-8 and 4x4. Your truck weighs 5,123, the GVWR is 7,200; that leaves 2,077 pounds for payload, ie, you, passengers, cargo. I believe the tongue weight of the trailer is part of the payload, but someone more familiar with the intricacies will know for certain.

I liked the Sierra Hybrid I drove. Same hybrid system.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Club: CASOC
Car#: 15

Re: Car haulers - dropped axles?

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

That company's base model no option 16ft steel starts at $3250.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Chad Stubblefield
Club: Team Blew
Car#: 877

Post by Chad Stubblefield »

Please list trailer companies in Socal that sell new, used, custom whatever trailers.
I cant seem to find too many and I think its going to be next to impossible to find a used 14' aluminum featherlite.
thanks
Bob Pl

Post by Bob Pl »

Chad Stubblefield wrote:Please list trailer companies in Socal that sell new, used, custom whatever trailers.
I cant seem to find too many and I think its going to be next to impossible to find a used 14' aluminum featherlite.
thanks
Ditto,

The Carson's are ok, but even I (who know nothing about trailers) can see some "shortcuts" they are doing to nickel & dime the price point. No loom/conduit on the wiring?

Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Big places in SoCal? You're not finding it because it doesn't exist.

Aztec and Carson are So Cal based.

There are small custom builders. Like who built Tim Albin's trailer. And they are expensive enough in steel that you can pay full retail for a featherlite and be in the same ballpark.

You don't have to buy SoCal built trailers. BigTex and many others are shipped in from out of state to local dealers.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Chad Stubblefield

Anyone ever use or hear of Aluma?
They seem to have a nice selection

http://www.alumaklm.com/index.html

I also started a Thread of local trailer dealers because I have nothing better to do.
Toby Larsson
Former CSCC Overall Champion

Post by Toby Larsson »

I think this is the company Mike Simanyi and Jeff Kiesel used, http://www.aluminumtrailer.com/open%20car%20hauler" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; IIRC they have a dealer at the Sand Cyn RV lot just outside the El Toro event site.
http://www.elitetint.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://www.osgiken.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bob Beamesderfer

Steve Ekstrand wrote:That company's base model no option 16ft steel starts at $3250.
Ouch. No wonder it's all custom cars in the pics on their site.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Toby Larsson wrote:I think this is the company Mike Simanyi and Jeff Kiesel used, http://www.aluminumtrailer.com/open%20car%20hauler" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; IIRC they have a dealer at the Sand Cyn RV lot just outside the El Toro event site.

Absolute best license plate design eVaR for an open car hauler. Seriously, they should sell just their license plate holder design.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Bob Beamesderfer

Steve Ekstrand wrote:
Toby Larsson wrote:I think this is the company Mike Simanyi and Jeff Kiesel used, http://www.aluminumtrailer.com/open%20car%20hauler" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; IIRC they have a dealer at the Sand Cyn RV lot just outside the El Toro event site.

Absolute best license plate design eVaR for an open car hauler. Seriously, they should sell just their license plate holder design.
Mike's trailer has some clever touches, but that license plate setup is great.
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 397

Post by Sebastian Rios »

The shortest open trailer on that site is 5200! Carson open deck steel starts at around 1600.
Chad Stubblefield

holy crap
$7000 for a 14' featherlite!!
I guess I will be looking for steel.
Bob Beamesderfer

Sebastian Rios wrote:The shortest open trailer on that site is 5200! Carson open deck steel starts at around 1600.
I'd rather have a light trailer that doesn't rust.
Chad Stubblefield

Is the rust really something to worry about though?
Will I have this trailer long enough?
Also if its going to be parked in the garage most of the time, it would probably not rust, correct?
Is an aluminum one worth 3 or 4 times the amount? +-$2000 steel +-$7000 aluminum.

Wow, carson has a great deal on a custom made 14' at $1700 all steel. I think I might just do that.
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Chad Stubblefield wrote:Is the rust really something to worry about though?
Will I have this trailer long enough?
Also if its going to be parked in the garage most of the time, it would probably not rust, correct?
Is an aluminum one worth 3 or 4 times the amount? +-$2000 steel +-$7000 aluminum.

Wow, carson has a great deal on a custom made 14' at $1700 all steel. I think I might just do that.
Put it this way: if it rusts, you can buy 2.5 more steel trailers before you equal the cost of the aluminum one ;)
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Chad Stubblefield

thanks Kurt

hey Bob, if your interested maybe we can get a cheaper deal if we order two.
Bob Pl

Post by Bob Pl »

Chad Stubblefield wrote:thanks Kurt

hey Bob, if your interested maybe we can get a cheaper deal if we order two.

I "worked" the sales girl/manager in El Cajon.

What if I pay cash today? Let's do lunch. Wanna ride in a Vette?

Same price. BTW I did question her regarding same prices at ALL Carson dealers as I was quoted $150. vs $100. for detach fenders at two different places.

She said they are all "supposed" to charge the same "low" price, per central company price list, but she said they all don't.

I think El Cajon will be a few hundred cheaper than some of the others.

FWIW

PS Still will do web site, just got bz.
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 397

Post by Sebastian Rios »

Carsons are fine, but you will need longer ramps and a way to carry those longer ramps around (won't fit in the standard carson holders). Also, add at least 2 weeks to the ETA the give you.
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

PS Still will do web site, just got bz.
No rush, chief!
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Bob Pl

Post by Bob Pl »

Sebastian Rios wrote:Carsons are fine, but you will need longer ramps and a way to carry those longer ramps around (won't fit in the standard carson holders). Also, add at least 2 weeks to the ETA the give you.
She said 5 ft was the longest for an 18. So how do I carry/store some longer ones?

Thoughts?

I rather like the slide into the hole in the back. The Carson ramps are pretty (make that very) crude looking. Not that it matters much.

If I slide them under car, then it's one more thing to tie down.

So I can get 7ft alum, but how to store them on a carson?

Chad Stubblefield

Im going to have the same issue.
Hey Bob, are yougetting yours built? If so, how long they say it would take.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Mine is a dovetail and with the 5 ft ramps it worked pretty good. I'd use the electric jack to unload the droopy rear suspension of the durango about 2-3 inches and that was usually enough to clear anything. You could also drive the rear tires of the truck on to something.

But the real key is the dovetail, without that I would have needed 8ft ramps. :lol: :lol:
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Bob Plante wrote:
Sebastian Rios wrote:Carsons are fine, but you will need longer ramps and a way to carry those longer ramps around (won't fit in the standard carson holders). Also, add at least 2 weeks to the ETA the give you.
She said 5 ft was the longest for an 18. So how do I carry/store some longer ones?

Thoughts?

I rather like the slide into the hole in the back. The Carson ramps are pretty (make that very) crude looking. Not that it matters much.

If I slide them under car, then it's one more thing to tie down.

So I can get 7ft alum, but how to store them on a carson?

7ft ramps have to tie down on the deck.

The rear storage of the ramps on the dovetail deluxes is really sweet. And you can easily place thin diamond plate over the ladder ramps to make them pretty. But the ramps never gave me the traction issues that some have. I'd rather figure out a way to make 5ft ramps work, than to make the whole thing hard. But I'm lazy and don't like carrying ramps around.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Thomas Smith
Car#: 158

Post by Thomas Smith »

Bob Beamesderfer wrote:
Sebastian Rios wrote:The shortest open trailer on that site is 5200! Carson open deck steel starts at around 1600.
I'd rather have a light trailer that doesn't rust.
I have an all steel 14' Dico trailer that was built in 1980. Its an open deck duel drop axle trailer that tows great and according to the pink slip weighs 1200 pounds unladen. It has sat outside its entire life and has been cross country and back many times. While the powder coating has faded after 29 years in the sun, there is nothing more than a little surface rust and nothing that concerns this structural engineer. This trailer was previously owned by Bill Sanford who bought it from Dave Turner. A well cared for quality steel trailer will last many years as my trailer proves. I fail to see the point of paying 3x the cost for an aluminum trailer unless money is no object. As for light weight I doubt you will notice a few hundred pounds if you have a decent tow vehicle. YMMV.
Thomas Smith