Spec Class

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Giovanni Jaramillo
Club: PSCC

Re: Spec Class

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

George Schilling wrote:I like the idea of a spec class, especially a Miata spec class. The cars are plentiful and cheap, factory support is wonderful, and we wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel.
Oh I almost forgot....there is a new class developing called SpecM3 headed up by the Jedi Master of BMWs (Bob Tunnell). Read about the rules in this thread.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Aaron Goldsmith wrote:or F125...
Long way from a spec class. Multiple engine types allowed and within that almost anything you want from $1500 stock motors to $5000+ built motors. Basic requirement is you have to be prepared to "some" national organization's 125 shifter rule set. I chose a stock motor because of price, reliability and much lower maintenance, but it renders me somewhat uncompetitive, especially combined with my lack of skill ;)
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Giovanni Jaramillo

Rick Brown wrote:
Long way from a spec class. Multiple engine types allowed and within that almost anything you want from $1500 stock motors to $5000+ built motors. Basic requirement is you have to be prepared to "some" national organization's 125 shifter rule set. I chose a stock motor because of price, reliability and much lower maintenance, but it renders me somewhat uncompetitive, especially combined with my lack of skill ;)
What about TaG motors Rick? (i.e. Rotax, Leopard, PRD)
Ron Tsumura
Club: GRA
Car#: 190

Post by Ron Tsumura »

Giovanni Jaramillo wrote:
Rick Brown wrote:
What about TaG motors Rick? (i.e. Rotax, Leopard, PRD)
I'm no expert on this but I noticed that some kart classes use motors that are tamper sealed from certified shops to keep people from modifying their engine. Tires, weight, and fuel are specified and checked regularly.

I heard one guy tried running his motor low on oil in an attemp to get an edge. However it did not work out so well. :cry:
Giovanni Jaramillo

Ron Tsumura wrote:I'm no expert on this but I noticed that some kart classes use motors that are tamper sealed from certified shops to keep people from modifying their engine.
Those would be TaG (Touch and Go) motors (i.e. Rotax, Leopard, PRD). There are race series like the Mazda Rotax Max Challenge.
Ron Tsumura
Club: GRA
Car#: 190

Post by Ron Tsumura »

Ron Tsumura wrote:I'm no expert on this but I noticed that some kart classes use motors that are tamper sealed from certified shops to keep people from modifying their engine.
Those would be TaG (Touch and Go) motors (i.e. Rotax, Leopard, PRD). There are race series like the Mazda Rotax Max Challenge.
Like I said, I'm no expert but I think Rotax TaG may have their own class or series or something?
Giovanni Jaramillo

Ron Tsumura wrote:
Like I said, I'm no expert but I think Rotax TaG may have their own class or series or something?
See what I wrote above.....Rotax Max Challenge. Most if not all kart clubs or race series have their a TaG class that lumps them all together and some have ones specifically for Rotax.