2010 TireRack Solo National Championships - Sep 7th-10th

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Arthur Grant
Club: TCC
Car#: 314

Re: 2010 TireRack Solo National Championships - Sep 7th-10th

Post by Arthur Grant »

A review of the entries shows a total dominance of Hoosier, Kumho is almost non-existent. Interesting.
Max Hayter
Club: CASOC
Car#: 31

Post by Max Hayter »

Arthur Grant wrote:A review of the entries shows a total dominance of Hoosier, Kumho is almost non-existent. Interesting.
Ho Ho's are perceived as faster - no one would deliberately run a slower tire at Nationals unless they are under contract and have no choice.
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Kumho is out of some sizes
Jason Isley BS RX8
Car#: 0

Post by Jason Isley BS RX8 »

Max Hayter wrote:
Arthur Grant wrote:A review of the entries shows a total dominance of Hoosier, Kumho is almost non-existent. Interesting.
Ho Ho's are perceived as faster - no one would deliberately run a slower tire at Nationals unless they are under contract and have no choice.
Some people perceive the Hoosier as faster - it is easier to accept that as fact than the fact that the driver may be off the pace. :lol: How must all those guys on Hs feel after that beating a Kumho car delivered in AS last year. }:)
Aaron Goldsmith
Car#: 32

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

Jason Isley BS RX8 wrote:
Max Hayter wrote:
Some people perceive the Hoosier as faster - it is easier to accept that as fact than the fact that the driver may be off the pace. :lol: How must all those guys on Hs feel after that beating a Kumho car delivered in AS last year. }:)
Hoosier gives free tires to the first few positions, Number 1 reason we run them. Number 2 is we can actually get them without jumping through crazy hoops.
Jason Isley BS RX8

Aaron Goldsmith wrote:
Hoosier gives free tires to the first few positions, Number 1 reason we run them. Number 2 is we can actually get them without jumping through crazy hoops.
Does getting something easy make it better? Last I heard some impossible to get Avon slick was the hot stuff in Prep. :unimpressed:
Arthur Grant
Club: TCC
Car#: 314

Post by Arthur Grant »

would seem if your fast, and the tire is as fast or faster than the competition and it's free no brainer you run it. I wonder how much a look at all the national runners using one brand influences the following seasons regional purchases?
Aaron Goldsmith

Arthur Grant wrote:would seem if your fast, and the tire is as fast or faster than the competition and it's free no brainer you run it. I wonder how much a look at all the national runners using one brand influences the following seasons regional purchases?
You should probably just start a thread asking about contigensies at National events, that probably drives a good portion of what you're talking about.
Aaron Goldsmith

1 week till the price goes up.

the $150 early entry fee expires on Wed., August 11 @ 4pm Central time. After that the entry fee is $300.
Scott McHugh
Club: GRA
Car#: 45

Post by Scott McHugh »

Last week I booked 1 week rate for 2 at $218+ tax at Tom Bodett's place at airport...clean property, was there last year. Not bad for 7 nights. You have to call the property, it was like $364 on line which was cheap but no weekly rates on line.

Scott
Aaron Goldsmith

Lookin like total entrants will be right around 1170
Nicole Wong
Car#: 46

Post by Nicole Wong »

run order posted.. http://scca.com/documents/Solo_Forms/wo ... %20DIM.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nicole Wong
ProParts USA
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Re: Questions for Nationals in Lincoln

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Steve Ekstrand wrote: Stacey wants to fly out Wednesday night after running STXL.... I'm trying to talk her out of that plan. She'd have to make Omaha for a 6:30 flight. I don't think you can guarantee that without knowing the run order and we won't know that in time. Stupid job.

Stacey got a 7:23pm flight out of Lincoln (to Denver) on Wed night. Good thing as she runs LAST and never would have made it to Omaha.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

What is the best route towing to Lincoln?

Any travel tips?

Any nice rest stops or parking areas for the RV crowd to stay over on the way?

And if I make it to Lincoln late Thursday night, any ideas on where to park the rig and sleep while waiting for the gates to open on Friday morning?

Also Friday morning an RV dump and place to get fresh water?

Thanks!
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Christine Grice
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 17

Post by Christine Grice »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:What is the best route towing to Lincoln?
I think your options are mostly 15-70-76-80 or 15-80.
Taking the 70 is really pretty but you have to tow up to the top of eisenhower pass... 11,158ft.
The 80 through Wyoming is the most boring stretch of road imaginable. But it's highest point is only 8,640ft.

Do not buy deisel at some podunk station in the middle of nowhere. :unimpressed:
~Christine Grice
2006 Mitsubishi Evolution, Berry Family Racing/Hoosier/ChaseCam
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Christine Berry wrote:
Taking the 70 is really pretty but you have to tow up to the top of eisenhower pass... 11,158ft.
The 80 through Wyoming is the most boring stretch of road imaginable. But it's highest point is only 8,640ft.

Do not buy deisel at some podunk station in the middle of nowhere. :unimpressed:

I hear you on the podunk stations. I have a Boonies kit with a fuel filter, but not something I want to change on the side of the road (I don't want to change ANYTHING on the side of the road). We used to tow 70 a couple of times a year for drag racing with no problems. Love that road so I'll probably go that way. But on the way home I have hit snow on that route... Driving home on wore out race rubber in an ST car. :o :shock: :shock: :o
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

This page left intentionally blank
Last edited by Steve Ekstrand on Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Don Salyers
Club: No$
Car#: 42

Post by Don Salyers »

Christine Berry wrote:

Last year, I went the northern and returned the southern---to me there was no big difference in climbing... The 8640 is preceeded by several 7000 + and followed by several more 7000 +. My perception was: I'd climb a mountain to get to the other side and then there was another mountain to climb and then and then and then.....I couldn't keep with the big diesel (Craig Way's friend) that I was following.

I 70, after Denver, coming home was a fantastic beautiful drive! My perception was: once I got to the top there was a continual gradual decsent...I did keep up with the big diesel rig after the big climb!

Don
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

We had a huge box truck (like a furniture delivery van) with sleeper and two speed rearend, towing an 18ft tag along. Two 3300lbs race cars plus two motors, four trannies, a rear end housing, 3-4 dropin pumpkins, fuel, water, tools, pit bikes.... I don't know the weight but it was huge. All powered by a low compression 360 dyno mule stock eliminator motor with an RV cam. Did fine.... Though you had to shift a lot and it was a little stressful managing that little motor. And you didn't have the luxury of an exhaust brake. Still we enjoyed the 70. The full on Kenworth tractor trailer was no doubt better, but I never got to drive that rig.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Keith Brown
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 96

Post by Keith Brown »

Steve,

If you take 80 across nebraska, there is a petro in York with a sewer dump, and (i'm pretty sure) fresh water.

We did 70 over last year and have done 80 a bunch. 70 was brutal last year, as the truck was overheating, so 25 mph over Vail and Eisenhower passes, but much more scenic for that stretch. 80 is a pretty easy tow. We get to skip the steep climb out of Salt Lake by coming in from the north and staying on 84 until it meets 80 in Echo. Ultimately the majority of the drive is boring...
Keith
1990 Miata with the really big roll bar
http://www.chaserace.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://www.tightntidyracing.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.vorschlag.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://www.ast-usa.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Don Salyers
Club: No$
Car#: 42

Post by Don Salyers »

Just in case you need some final Test & Tune, there is a great place in Salina, Ks. If I need the extra time with some help from Bo Rader, I'll go the Hwy 54, see how Dorothy Gale is doing in Liberal and how Greensburg is rebuilding.....
Attachments
I parked there for 2 days in 2008, was able to spend as long as I wanted running the car---except for the 6" of rain that fell during the night...
I parked there for 2 days in 2008, was able to spend as long as I wanted running the car---except for the 6" of rain that fell during the night...
Salina.JPG (145.19 KiB) Viewed 6499 times
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Scott McHugh wrote:Last week I booked 1 week rate for 2 at $218+ tax at Tom Bodett's place at airport...clean property, was there last year. Not bad for 7 nights. You have to call the property, it was like $364 on line which was cheap but no weekly rates on line.

Scott
Thanks for the tip Scott. Hopefully the BS winner will be someone staying here. :thumbup:
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

"Our" transporter loaded and ready to pick up the Rowse/Peter's DSP BMW in AZ on it's way to Lincoln :thumbup:

(Pretty cool ... three Team Blew cars and two ex-Team Blew member cars)
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

What's Katy N. going to do ... she's by herself in SML ?
Jason Isley BS RX8

Mako Koiwai wrote:"Our" transporter loaded and ready to pick up the Rowse/Peter's DSP BMW in AZ on it's way to Lincoln :thumbup:

(Pretty cool ... three Team Blew cars and two ex-Team Blew member cars)
While I was at Miller Motorsports Park a few weeks ago I saw that old nasty enclosed trailer that some of the cars went in last year... It did not look any better.